Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you call your gun's removable enclosed cartridge carrier a magazine or clip? Yes, I know, and am too often anal about it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you call your gun's removable enclosed cartridge carrier a magazine or clip? Yes, I know, and am too often anal about it.

Do you call your gun's removable enclosed cartridge carrier a magazine or clip? Yes, I know, and am too often anal about it.

I call it a clip.

Comment

Its a magazine, not a clip technically.

Comment

There is a difference. A clip simply holds the cartridges, a magazine is normally equipped with a spring-powered follower to position successive rounds for chambering. As examples, the M1 Garand rifle, as issued, is loaded with an 8-round CLIP. The follower that raises these rounds into position for the bolt to chamber them is part of the rifle, not part of the clip, and when that clip is ejected on the final round, the follower is not ejected with that clip.
        The M14 rifle utilizes a 20-round MAGAZINE. The M1911A1 uses a 7-round magazine. Successive rounds are lifted or powered into position by a spring that is a part of that magazine. When the magazine is removed, the spring (and follower) are removed with it.

Comment

Depends on what I'm shooting. the M1 Garand and the SKS, definately a clip or on the SKS, a stripper clip. The M1 Carbine, Colt 45 Auto, and my other Autoloaders, all use magazines or the slang terms, mags or mag. Never call a magazine a clip, or a clip a magazine, unless you want to do pushups all afternoon in front of some of the former DIs I shoot with.

Comment

Palumbo is absolutely correct.

Comment

I never really knew there was a difference. I have always known them casually as clips and that names were interchangeable.

Comment

Arizona game law says you’re not allowed more than 5 in the magazine so I called game and fish about it.

Question, since the M1 Garand uses 8 round clip rather than magazine, does the 5 round magazine rule apply? (The key word is clip)

Answer, that’s a very good question and I bet (the Officer saying) you might win this one in court. The rule says magazine and not total capacity as other states saying “a capacity of 5 plus one in the chamber.”

Comment

i always call them Mags.

Comment

Im also with palumbo on this one, good answer...

Comment

I usually call it a magazine. Sometimes a clip.

Comment

Everything I need to know I learned in the Marine Corps. It's a magazine.

Comment

Mr. Cooper,
                          There may be a way to get around problematic "officer discretion" with the capacity of the M1 Garand. Creedmoor Sports (www.creedmoresports.com) catalogues single, 2 and 5-round clips for the M1 Garand. If the total capacity of the clip is 5 rounds, it may eliminate misunderstanding.
                          Good hunting,
                          Ed

Comment

Clip.

Comment

I got 'bleeped' the first time, so I'll try again. As long as you are not Active Duty Military who gives a 'HOOT' what someone calls it as long as you know what they mean. I think alot of guys ought to lighten up on this one alittle, reminds me of some anal english teacher that thinks they have to correct everyones grammar.
                              I call it a CLIP, and I say the 'HECK' with it!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad