Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just looked at my muzzleloader and the end of it is all rusted up. Its got that nickel finish to it and want to know what's th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just looked at my muzzleloader and the end of it is all rusted up. Its got that nickel finish to it and want to know what's th

I just looked at my muzzleloader and the end of it is all rusted up. Its got that nickel finish to it and want to know what's the easiest way to clean this up?

You can try and spray some WD-40 on a rag and wipe the end off, if that doesn't work you can get some emory cloth and rub it off that. The emory cloth is like a really fine sand papper, you can get at your local hardware store. It shouldn't really hurt your gun any.

Comment

Sometimes a pencil eraser will remove light rust without damage to the bluing. www.ultrscoatingsinc.com has a liquid called Ultraborecoat you can use that will keep the gun from rusting next time. It looks and smells like paint thinner. Goes on wet and drys in about 15 min. Once dry it's invisible and much more permanent than WD-40 and simular stuff. Originally made for coating bores to prevent fouling Ultraborecoat also prevents rust. I use this on all my guns. You can also get it a Mack's Prairie Wings-they sell it to Duck hunters for shotgun protection in the marsh.

Comment

BTW even stainless steel will rust if not taken care of.

Comment

Oops thats www.ultracoatingsinc.com.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Try hot soapy dish water, seriously That is all I use to clean my muzzle loader. Just get a bucket full of hot water and some dawn dishsoap and scrub the inside and outside of your barrel

Comment

WD 40 or any light oil and emory cloth or a brass brush. Thing to remember is to clean and oil them before you put them up, BP is the nastiest stuff around and if you wait till next year you will have the same problem again.

Comment

WD 40

Comment

WD 40

Comment

WD 40

Comment

WD 40

Comment

WD 40

Comment

WD 40

Comment

WD 40

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad