Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone here have experience shooting a Remington 770? If so what caliber? How did it shoot? The more details the better ple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P S
    I put Ospray 10-40 scope and cut the trigger pull from 7 lbs. to 2 lbs. on my Rem.770.

Comment

Remington 770 GREAT GUN Please Read...Take everything you heard bad about the 770 with a grain a salt... you can do 3 small things to your gun. I adjusted my trigger "Not recommended unless you know how things are built". I took the bolt apart Completely cleaned off what ever the bolt was Dipped in, Polished the bolt and cleaned up all those sharp edges on the mag... Now for what it would cost you to have me or another gunsmith do this for you, Yes it would be more "affordable" to purchase a Standard 700 with no scope which is of course a Great gun. but,I am Happy to own this rifle that is almost ready to go hunting right out the box in cal. 7mm rem. mag. I shoot Hornady and Remington Ammo. My buddy owns a 700 and paid 700.00 for his .300 rem. mag. and shoots Custom hand loaded ammo... when I showed him this gun, he immediately told me told me, "My 770 Rifle was a piece of junk." but said after the work I did, "my action is smoother than his 700 and the trigger was lighter, and just as smooth" and said "OMG and he was sick seeing the accuracy of this 770." he could not believe it even to this day... Now, I believe these guns were built for super centers cause as we all know, Some SNOBBY RICH Americans are cheap and want the best for nothing... So then when Remington cut the cost of this rifle by removing all the labor intensive touch ups "of which any one can do" on it's action of this gun, the same work that their more expensive rifles would receive, and placed it around an already accurate barrel. you can not complain about this rifle... some people complain but Labor is not cheap, this is where the term "You get what you pay for" came from. I have learned to work on every gun I have... I have high dollar guns and and affordable guns, but not bad ones just more affordable ones. So for the last past few years I have been buying the cheap guns and and cleaning them up I have yet to find one gun that was crap "excluding typical Saturday night specials" these should be removed from the market Period... To People who have time to TROLL around, and cause problems in the world...learn to work on something other than your negative comments, Really! you might just Grow Up...Thank you Remington for building this rifle for us good ole Americans, a rifle that is affordable to everyone.

Comment

I bought a 770 a few weeks ago and I have problems cycling the bolt with the mag in. It catches the lip of the next round and will not let it go. That said though, that is the ONLY issue I have had with it.. and I do shoot it regularly. As far as accuracy and the scope go, I sighted it in at 100 yards and once I got it in the bulls eye, the next three shots went through the same hole. Its a VERY accurate gun for me.

Comment

i have a 770 300 win mag shoot 180 grain fedralls 3x9 x40 scope great shooting rifel ive taken many big game animals with from 100 yards out to 500 yards stops in there tracks every time i have never had a issu with it

Comment

i have a 770 300 win mag shoot 180 grain fedralls 3x9 x40 scope great shooting rifel ive taken many big game animals with from 100 yards out to 500 yards stops in there tracks every time i have never had a issu with it

Comment

Another Remington 770 issue is the 2" eye relief of the economy Bushnell Sharpshooter scope. I don't know the spec but I measures 2" and that's not enough for the 7mm Rem Mag- unless you like black eyes. I'll soon change it for something else.

Comment

Originally posted by errico View Post
                Just picked up the Remington 770 rifle/scope combo in 308 as a gift for a relative. I own Weatherby and other manufacture's rifles. Yes the bolt was a little sticky,and the trigger could use an adjustment. The scope is OK, it was off level (so much for the factory bore site ). We leveled the scope, grabbed a box of Winchester Supreme Elite Ammunition 308 Winchester 150 Grain XP3. We were shooting sub one inch groups in less than five minutes, at 100 yards. There is nothing wrong with this rifle. This is a very good rifle for the price. I agree with Steve C if you are having trouble with accuracy its not the rifle. Sure you can buy lots of other rifles for a lot more money, but WHAT FOR ? I'm purchasing another one.....as a gift to errico.
                I own a 770 in .308 and love it. I've done some minor adjustments to get it exactly where I want it to be. I dropped the trigger pull polished the bolt and floated the barrel I also changed the scope with a Barska IR scope.

Comment

I have the 770 30-06 nothing dune to the gun I dropped a deer at 210 on the run and another at 240 yards I love the gun

Comment

I recently purchased a 770 in 30-06. The first time I took it to the range the bolt didn't want to push the cartridge in far enough so I gave the bolt a good hit and it broke right off. I received a new bolt and again went to the range. Part of the time it wouldn't close on the first cartridge. If I backed the bolt out and held the rifle straight up the cartridge would fall right out and the next cartridge would go in properly. In my opinion, the rifle is a piece of junk but it shoots really good groups, well under an inch with good handloads. I would not recommend for anyone. I bought a Ruger American and it costs a bit more but it is quality thru and thru.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC View Post
                      Okay...As long as I can remember my grandfather taught me the art of marksmanship; keep your focus on the target, relax, breathe and slowly pull the trigger. These are basics that every marksman should know. I own a 770 in 30.06 and have no complaints about it. Granted I have done a few modifications to it such as adding a new scope and lightening the trigger pull. At the range I am able to get .5" to 1" groupings at 100-yards. So I say this to all those who continue to downgrade the 770; Go out and buy a high dollar gun and match grade ammo. If you do not have a basic understanding of ballistics and marksmanship you will be all over the place. The 770 is a good gun for the money. Marksmanship; the shooter not the gun is the name of the game. For those of you who don't like your 770's, its very simple; get rid of them and stop complaining.
                      You should never have your focus on the target. Front site tip for iron sights or crosshairs for scope. Blurry rear sight aperture and target.

Comment

I just bought a 770 after reading every thread and comment. I cycled the 783 and it was very smooth, but didn't like the stock ans bolt handle as well. Even though the 3 lugs are too small to make the bolt steady as the 783, the idea of locking the bolt into the chamber is brilliant especially if you want accuracy. If you do a little work to this rifle it will excel and be one of your favorite ones. The whole rifle needs to be cleaned thoroughly when you get it. It needs to be lubed and the bolt needs to be cycled hundreds of times and it becomes very smooth. Mine is in 308. The magazine locks firmly and snugly unlike many others. For a cheap rifle, we thought it was awesome. Right out of the box we were hitting 3-4 inches at 200 yards from a nonsupported standing position. Supported I am sure it would shoot holes thru holes. The stock needs to be floated from the barrel as mine was getting pinched. This is a little labor intensive, but is highly recommended. There is one bug to be worked out still and that is that the bolt falls out of the receiver even with the defective bolt stop engaged. I am fighting with Remington now and they are not cooperative about this. Otherwise a great little gun.

Comment

Bought a bolt stop from Numrich and now the rifle is perfect. The barrel is pressed into the receiver and the bolt locks into the barrel. This makes one integral unit and makes this an extremely accurate rifle. Don't listen to the naysayers and whiners. This rifle rocks!

Comment

770. Junk. Plain and simple. Design flaw in the bolt handle. It'll just snap off. Lots of play in the bolt causing it to hang up frequently. Rounds constantly getting stuck where bolt won't open. If the russians could produce a rifle that last a hundred years and still shoot straight. (m91) and sells for about 85 dollars today; all I have to say is shame on you Remington. They wont stand behind thier product even though its flawed in design. They won't own their mistakes. I don't care if they make the 700, when a company has a trigger problem that results in deaths and a design flaw that result in an unusable rifle, its wrong. Go ahead and buy one and you'll be posting unhappy post just like me.

Comment

Originally posted by Clayton Adams View Post
                              Bought a bolt stop from Numrich and now the rifle is perfect. The barrel is pressed into the receiver and the bolt locks into the barrel. This makes one integral unit and makes this an extremely accurate rifle. Don't listen to the naysayers and whiners. This rifle rocks!
                              what kind of bolt stop did you buy?

Comment

Originally posted by Dwayne Fraska View Post
                                770. Junk. Plain and simple. Design flaw in the bolt handle. It'll just snap off. Lots of play in the bolt causing it to hang up frequently. Rounds constantly getting stuck where bolt won't open. If the russians could produce a rifle that last a hundred years and still shoot straight. (m91) and sells for about 85 dollars today; all I have to say is shame on you Remington. They wont stand behind thier product even though its flawed in design. They won't own their mistakes. I don't care if they make the 700, when a company has a trigger problem that results in deaths and a design flaw that result in an unusable rifle, its wrong. Go ahead and buy one and you'll be posting unhappy post just like me.
                                i dont know what happened it sounds like you got a lemon my 7mag is fun to shoot and deadly out to 700 yds [ havent got s cahnce to shoot it further ] no problems with the bolt but to get it slicked up you need to take out the bolt and get some 1500 grit paper and polish off the bluing on the gliding surfaces and mine is silky smooth and you need to take a dowel rod and wrap paper aroung that and sand out the stock because i could only get a dollar about 2 1/2 inches down the stock so a lil bedding work is needed i saw u tube vids that they filled the voids in the forearm part with either exoxy or body putty i dont know if this is necessary or not the scope is chinese crap and it needs better glass i have a 6-18x40 712w jap tasco on it and what a diff and am waiting on a limbsaver recoil pad to replace the factoryin sure i have a rifle that i can us that hand-me-down on its nice just dosnt soak up enough recoil on that light a rifle im still using the molded sling mounts but as soon as i find the other studs they will be replaced other wise its a fun and accurate gun to shoot i bought this as a back up for my custom 308 norma mag browing 81 and it has the same accuracy as that just not the energy the way that the bolt locks in this is the same as the browing lightnng in the bbl

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad