Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you think your Representatives will vote on HR 45? Not how you want them to vote but how you think they will vote.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    teufelhunden, I think is a "yea"!!!

Leave a comment:

• astroone
    replied
    Only way to find out is contact your congressman
    I have gotten two responses
    Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding House Resolution 45. I appreciate hearing your thoughts and the opportunity to respond.

House Resolution 45, Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record Sale Act of 2009, was introduced on January 6, 2009 by Congressman Bobby Rush. This legislation is currently being considered in the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security.

This legislation prohibits the transfer of a firearm to any person other than a licensee, unless the transfer is processed through a licensed dealer in accordance with national instant criminal background check system requirements. It also assigns criminal penalties for failing to report the loss or theft of a firearm to the state Attorney General within 72 hours, failing to report to the state Attorney General an address change within 60 days, and keeping a loaded firearm that a child could access, if a child uses the firearm and causes death or serious bodily injury.

The 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution reads, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." This amendment states, in no uncertain terms, that the United States government is prohibited from infringing upon the gun rights of law-abiding citizens. As your Representative in Congress, I will do everything in my power to prevent the gun control lobby from obstructing the constitutional rights of Americans. This clearly means I will oppose H.R. 45.

Thank you again for taking the time to correspond with me. Please visit my website at www.coffman.house.gov if you would like more information on legislation that I am sponsoring, press releases, and my stance on other issues that are important to you.

Sincerely,

Michael Coffman
    Member of Congress

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about Second Amendment issues. I appreciate hearing your views on this issue.

As you know, H.R. 45, Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009, seeks more stringent licensing regulations for firearms. This particular bill is overreaching and impedes on our Second Amendment rights. Therefore, I do not support H.R. 45.

As an avid hunter and gun owner, I am a strong supporter of the right of Americans to own, possess, and use firearms in a responsible manner. Since coming to Congress, protecting gun owners' rights has been one of my top priorities. I have supported legislation to revise the civil penalties and procedures for violations of firearms law, to shield gun manufacturers and retailers from civil liability lawsuits, and to end the District of Columbia gun ban. I will continue to support these rights.

Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to represent the Third District of Colorado. Please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,

John T. Salazar

Member of Congress

Leave a comment:

• merlin1106
    replied
    The crooks and bad guys will always find ways of circumventing the laws, no matter what they are. All this new garbage does is make it easier for the criminal, and the government to impopse their will upon the the population. The government criers claim it is to protect us, which is a bunch of hooey.

Leave a comment:

• ETangler
    replied
    WHEW, anyway I think it's gonna be to our disadvantage.

Leave a comment:

• kolbster
    replied
    i really dont know

Leave a comment:

• teufelhunden
    replied
    So is that a yea or nea?

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    What I do know if passed, you can start seeing ATF 3am busting into homes and shooting the occupants like they did during Clinton administration.

“a jack-booted group of fascists who are perhaps as large a danger to American society as I could pick today.”
    -Rep. John Dingell (D-MI) in 1983, describing the ATF

“Trampled upon the Second Amendment [...] Offended the Fourth Amendment [...] Ignored the Fifth Amendment”
    -Senate Subcommittee on the Constitution, 1982, findings regarding the ATF

“Let us begin to measure one another in terms of contributing to each other's success.”
    -John W. Magaw, Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, 1994-Aug (explanation: Magaw has spelled out a collectivist credo. He recommends that each ATF agent be evaluated not on the basis of his effectiveness in pursuing his mission, but on the basis of how he facilitates the pursuits of others. This is a manifestly horrendous idea.)

“Collective states are constitutionally incapable of reliably producing anything but corpses.”
    -L. Neil Smith, Third Among Equals

“Who owns the youth owns the future!”
    -Adolf Hitler
    “We have legal custody of the children and we will do with them as we see fit”
    -Susan Etscovitz, an agent of the Massachusetts Department of Social Services, supervising the case of the Bryant family of Waltham Mass., whose only alleged “offense” is home schooling their children with a home-brewed curriculum (Daily News Tribune, "Bryants story goes national", 2003-Jun-20, by Melissa Beecher)

“A troubling number of teachers at all levels regard the bulk of American history and heritage as racist, sexist, and classist, and believe their purpose is to bring about social change...”
    -Helen Cordes, Utne Reader, July-August '91, p.52 excerpted from TIME magazine

“the people I put in jail have more honor than the top administration in this organization.”
    -Bob Hoffman, ATF agent, to Mike Wallace, on 60 Minutes, 1993-Jan

“I took an oath. And the thing that I find totally abhorrent and disgusting is these higher-level people took that same oath and they violate the basic principles and tenets of the Constitution and the laws and simple ethics and morality.”
    -Lou Tomasello, ATF agent, to Mike Wallace, on 60 Minutes, 1993-Jan

“a jack-booted group of fascists who are perhaps as large a danger to American society as I could pick today.”
    -Rep. John Dingell (D-MI) in 1983, describing the ATF

“Trampled upon the Second Amendment [...] Offended the Fourth Amendment [...] Ignored the Fifth Amendment”
    -Senate Subcommittee on the Constitution, 1982, findings regarding the ATF

“To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated.”
    -Trefor Thomas

“Criminals don't register their guns.”
    -Murray Grismer, spokesman of the Saskatchewan Federation of Police Officers, and a 13-year veteran of the police force in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

“At first glance, it may seem odd or even perverse to suggest that statutory controls on the private ownership of firearms are irrelevant to the problem of armed crime: yet that is precisely what the evidence shows. Armed crime and violent crime generally are products of ethnic and social factors unrelated to the availability of a particular type of weapon. The number of firearms required to satisfy the crime market is minute, and these are supplied no matter what controls are instituted. Controls have had serious effect on legitimate users of firearms, but there is no case, either in the history of this country (Britain) or in the experience of other countries in which controls can be shown to have restricted the flow of weapons to criminals, or in any way reduce crime.”
    -Chief Inspector Colins Greenwood, West Yorkshire Constabulary, Police Review, Britain after six months of study of firearms control systems at Cambridge University

“Crooks are going to get guns regardless of what regulations we have.”
    -Kurt Schmoke, Mayor of Baltimore, 1999-Mar-13

“This proposal will never prevent criminals from possessing firearms and we never said it would.”
    -Daryl Smeaton, Attorney General's department, Director of Law Enforcement Co-ordination, on the new Australian gun bans, in The Weekend Australian, 20-21 September 1997, page 6

“This business about gun control is a joke really. I come from Switzerland where everyone is taught how to treat weapons sensibly and with care. In Switzerland everyone keeps a gun in their own home and we don't have any problems with them.”
    -Mrs Emma Jay, 70, Northern New South Wales, Australia, Friend of Port Arthur mass shooting victim Jim Pollard, as reported in The Age 19/7/96 page A7

“Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun. Safety locks? You will pull the trigger with a lock on, and I'll pull the trigger. We'll see who wins.”
    -Mafia informant Sammy "the Bull" Gravano, on gun control, in an interview by Howard Blum that appears in the September 1999 issue of Vanity Fair magazine

“Since 1934, only one legally owned machine gun has been used in a crime of murder, and a law enforcement officer committed that crime.”
    -The History Channel, Modern Marvels, Weapons at War: The Machine Gun

“A proper claim of the privilege against self-incrimination provides a full defense to prosecutions either for failure to register under 5841 or for possession of an unregistered firearm under 5851.”
    -Justice Harlan, Supreme Court of the United States, in Haynes v. United States, 390 U.S. 85 (1968), recognizing a special and expansive immunity for felons from the National Firearms Act regulation of machine guns (and other assorted firearms and firearms-related devices), and by extension from any firearm registration regime

“No one has the right to destroy another person's belief by demanding empirical evidence.”
    -Ann Landers, former director of Handgun Control, Inc.

“The atmosphere in which social legislation is considered is not a friend of truth.”
    -Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan, D-NY, cited by Don Rumsfeld in Rumsfeld's Rules

“The Democrats ran away from gun safety in the 2002 elections, and look where it got them. Whoever is advising them on gun control should be shot.”
    -Blaine Rummel, spokesman for the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence (in "Democrats shunning gun control", 2003-May-31, Washington Times)

“When I began my research on guns in 1976, like most academics, I was a believer in the 'anti-gun' thesis. ... It seemed then like self-evident common sense which hardly needed to be empirically tested. ... [But] the best currently available evidence, imperfect though it is (and must always be), indicates that general gun availability has no measurable net positive effect on rates of homicide, suicide, robbery, assault, rape, or burglary in the U.S. ... Further, when victims have guns, it is less likely aggressors will attack or injure them and less likely they will lose property in a robbery. ... The positive associations often found between aggregate levels of violence and gun ownership appear to be primarily due to violence increasing gun ownership, rather than the reverse.”
    -Prof. Gary Kleck, Florida State University School of Criminology, from a speech given to the National Academy of Sciences in 1991, as reported by Don B. Kates, Jr. in "Shot Down", National Review, March 6, 1995, pages 49-54

“Accidental gun deaths among children are fortunately much rarer than most people believe. Consider New York, with more than 2.6 million children under the age of 10. From 1993 to 1997, the Centers for Disease Control report that there were only six accidental gun deaths in that age range - an annual rate of 1.2 deaths. Yet, with over 3.3 million adult New Yorkers owning at least one gun in 1996, the overwhelming majority of gun owners must be extremely careful or such gun accidents would be much more frequent.
    [...]
    Guns clearly deter criminals: Americans use guns defensively around 2 million times each year - five times more frequently than the 430,000 times guns were used to commit crimes in 1997. And 98 percent of the time, simply brandishing the weapon is sufficient to stop an attack.
    [...]
    Recent research that I have done, examining juvenile accidental gun deaths or suicides for all the states in the United States from 1977 to 1996, found that safe-storage laws had no impact on either type of death. However, what did happen was that law-abiding citizens were less able to defend themselves against crime. The 15 states that adopted these laws during this period faced over 300 more murders and 3,860 more rapes per year. Burglaries also increased dramatically.”
    -John R. Lott, senior research scholar at the Yale University Law School, author of the book More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun-Control Laws

“Liberalizing concealed carry laws won't lead to a return to the Wild West - though it wouldn't be bad if it did. ... in 19th Century cattle towns, homicide was confined to transient males who shot each other in saloon disturbances. The per capita robbery rate was 7% of modern New York City's. The burglary rate was 1%. Rape was unknown.”
    -David Kopel, quoted in the Wall Street Journal, 1994-Feb-28, in “Have Gun, Will Eat Out”

“Antigun advocates have always faced an uphill battle in this country. Americans have, to begin with, a constitutional right to gun ownership. Today, half of American households exercise this right, owning a total of about 250 million guns; and over 99 percent of those households do so in a responsible manner. To fight for major restrictions on an item that plays such a valued part in the lives of so many people looks like a nearly impossible task. So if you're really committed to the effort, and you want to win, what do you do? Simple: You lie.”
    -Dave Kopel

“[...] we agree with the National Rifle Association that assault weapons right now play a small role in overall violent crime.”
    -A Handgun Control, Inc. representative, in Congressional testimony

“It is true that despite an increase in gun ownership in Australia over the past 15 years, there has been a decline in the murder and suicide rates.”
    -Melanie Granger, for the Hon. Daryl Williams, Attorney General of Australia and Minister for Justice, from a Letter to Ross Wilmoth dated 27/8/97

“Tighter gun control laws were not framed with the specific expectation that gun related deaths would decline.”
    -Anne Standford, press secretary for Police Minister Bill McGrath, in The Geelong Advertiser, 11/9/97

“This has got nothing to do with common sense, this is about politics.”
    -Hon Bill McGrath MLA, Minister for Police and Emergency Services and Deputy National Party Leader, at the Annual General Meeting of the Ballarat Arms and Militaria Collectors Society Inc., August 1996 (as recorded on videotape)

“I don't think there's any reason on Earth why people should have access to automatic and semiautomatic weapons unless they're in the military or in the police.”
    -Australian Prime Minister John Howard, in the Los Angeles Times, “Australia's Answer to Carnage: a Strict Law”, 1997-Aug-27

“I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers.”
    -Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice, on Maclean's "Taking Aim on Guns", April 25, 1994, page 12

“All guns are capable of being used in crime. All guns pose a threat to public safety.”
    -The Supreme Court of Canada, 2000-Jun-15

“Whatever right the Second Amendment protects is not as important as it was 200 years ago....[The government should] deconstitutionalize the subject by repealing the embarrassing Amendment.”
    -George Will, 1991

“There is no reason for anyone in this country, for anyone except a police officer or a military person, to buy, to own, to have, to use, a handgun. The only way to control handgun use in this country is to prohibit the guns. And the only way to do that is to change the constitution.”
    -NBC News president, Michael Gartner, USA Today, 1992-Jan-16

“We will never fully solve our nation's horrific problem of gun violence unless we ban the manufacture and sale of handguns and semi-automatic assault weapons.”
    -USA Today, 1993-Dec-29

“Why should America adopt a policy of near-zero tolerance for private gun ownership? [...] [W]ho can still argue compellingly that Americans can be trusted to handle guns safely? We think the time has come for Americans to tell the truth about guns. They are not for us, we cannot handle them.”
    -Los Angeles Times, 1993-Dec-28

“The mistake Republicans have made over the years is treating Democrats like adults.”
    -Ann Coulter, 2001-Feb-14, at the 28th Annual Conservative Political Action Conference in Crystal City, Virginia

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    Its a scary time, don't know?

Leave a comment:

• How do you think your Representatives will vote on HR 45? Not how you want them to vote but how you think they will vote.

How do you think your Representatives will vote on HR 45? Not how you want them to vote but how you think they will vote.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad