Wild Bill's pistol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild Bill's pistol

Wild Bill Hickock's Revolver Expected to Fetch $300,000 at Auction | MeatEater Hunting (themeateater.com)

If you could own a famous gun from history, what would it be? I think it'd be neat to own a Sharps .50 that was actually used on the buffalo plains. And, of course ... a genuine Hawken like Hatchet Jack's. Anybody own an artifact weapon?

I have a Marble's Gamegetter made in 1939 from leftover parts after original production stopped in 1934. Not real old, but unusual.

Comment

I've got a M1 Garand, one of the last made. One of my Mosin Nagants is the Finnish version, model 91.

A Sharps would be nice but I'd rather have an original Enfield Pattern 1853 rifle-musket, widely used in the US War of Northern Aggression. I've often thought of buying a replica.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	79
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	799928

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
        Wild Bill Hickock's Revolver Expected to Fetch $300,000 at Auction | MeatEater Hunting (themeateater.com)

If you could own a famous gun from history, what would it be? I think it'd be neat to own a Sharps .50 that was actually used on the buffalo plains. And, of course ... a genuine Hawken like Hatchet Jack's. Anybody own an artifact weapon?
        I thought his guns were in the Wyoming museum?

Comment

I have the Ruger Ranch rifle and it's Sister gun the Ruger Mini-30, 7.62x39, Carbine. I shot the M1Carbine in the Service and liked it so much I bought these two, very similar offshoots.
          Last edited by jhjimbo; 07-21-2022, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I thought his guns were in the Wyoming museum?
            I don't know. He probably had several. The article says this one was likely "hidden on his person" during the card game, so it might have been a different one than the ones he was known to wear openly tucked into his sash. The one pictured has a front sight on it and I've read that he filed off his front sights on the pistols he kept in his sash, since a sight would have snagged when he drew. That little fact might have just been folklore, though.

It says too that he owned over 50 guns in his life, so there's a good chance they ended up in different places.

Comment

I've had a couple I wish I hadn't sold. 😥 Oh, well!
              One of them was a Win M12 20 gauge S/N 12***.

Oldest I actually own is my "Elsie" (L.C. Smith) 16 gauge double barrel.
              According to the S/N, my best research shows it was made in 1904.

Did get to shoot a cap lock rifle built for the Confederacy by "Kickapoo Rifle Works" in Pert, Tex.
              That rifle is currently in residence at the Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Tex.
              It is the only known surviving "Kickapoo" rifle.

Forgot!
              A few years back I stumbled into a Remington "Sportsman" 16 gauge.
              Turns out, Remington started building the "Sportsman" in 1932 and started with S/N 200000.
              My gun is one of the first 500 made!
              Last edited by FirstBubba; 07-21-2022, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I have one that’s sort of famous.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/steve...ast-from-past/

Aside from that I’d love to own an original Colt Peacemaker.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Fitch I miss that story, that’s really cool .

Comment

Guess I missed that story, too. Far out and groovy! ...and great background behind the gun.

Comment

Any of the following , Pennsylvania long rifle , Hawken rifle , Buffalo Sharps , 1873 Winchester ! These are all iconic rifles to me .

Comment

If I could have only one, it would be Wyatt Earp's Buntline Special. Although, according to his memoirs, he used it very little, it became legendary in wild west folklore. If his buddy Wild Bill's sidearm brought $300K I'd hate to guess what this one would be worth.

Comment

Cool gun, good story, nice "still-life" photo!

Comment

Thanks guys.

I did find out later that the place my uncle found it was actually at his grandparent’s farm, not the place his dad bought. Oddly enough that farm had been owned by a family with the same last name as my mother’s maiden name. Don’t know there was a relation there but perhaps that’s why my grandfather wanted me to have it.

My uncle told me after he found it he and his grandfather secured it to a fence post and fired it using a string to see if it was ok. He used to razz me asking “if I still had his rifle”. I’ve had it over 40 years now and have no idea how old my uncle was when my grandfather “confiscated” the thing. He’s lived several states away for most of my life and we haven’t spent much time together. A couple years ago we had a family function to attend and knowing he’d be there I brought the Stevens along in a soft case. When I handed the case to him he first asked “What’s this?”, then he hesitated saying “I know what it is.” He slowly unzipped the case and again paused before taking it out. He only held it a little while before putting it back but it obviously meant a lot to have it in his hands.

He’s survived several serious strokes and covid since. He’s either 85 or 86 now, been saying for years that growing old ain’t for pu$$ies.

Comment

I have one that’s sort of famous...
                              That is some unique firearm for sure Fitch. Very impressive.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad