Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well bought another one I don’t have time to shoot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well bought another one I don’t have time to shoot.

Just purchased a howa m1100 .22lr. They seem to review well and it seems to be a good size for my grandsons to start on. And heck I can afford .22 ammo for now. Going to put my extra leupold vx3 on it. Maybe the boys and I can chase some squirrels around this year. But I will still probably my old model 60.

Nice purchase. Good luck with it. Just for grins try some Aquilla Interceptor .22lr, 40gr. Fastest .22 full 40gr bullet. Not recommended for handguns. For max accuracy I use Remington 40gr standard velocity, and I also hunt with them.
    All the so called 'high velocity' reduce the weight of the bullet to get the speed and I find they don't shoot that well.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=aquill...435c0a163c59a0
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 05-09-2022, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_19909.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	796871 Wood or synthetic? Did it come with bases or a rail? What rings you using? Pic? Are you going to suppress it? Details man, details!😀
      Not a big model 60 man myself but there are thousands who are, thinking Firstbubba is a big Marlin 60 fan.
      Boy bought me a Bergara BMR for Christmas as a pretense to take my old Rem 511-x after I refinished it. Similar concept to your Howa. A vx2 3x9 on mine for now.
      Last edited by dewman; 05-09-2022, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Yer right, dewman....and I don't even own one! LOL!!!
        I picked one up at a pawnshop for a song. No feed tube and a couple of other minor "red neck" repairs.
        Bought a tube and a couple of screws. Cleaned about a ton of gunk out of it and stepped out the back door.
        Blew me away! At 25 yards, it would dang near stack bullets!
        I bought it to flip and nearly doubled my money, so it was worth the trouble.

At one time, the Marlin (Glenfield) M60 was considered "THE" most accurate "out of the box" .22 rifle on the market.
        That was supposedly due to Marlin's "Micro-Groove" rifling.
        My experience is with a single M60. I think because they are so cheap, they're considered "junk".
        The popularity of Ruger's 10/22 was it's worst enemy.

Not to take away from 'dawg's Howa! Nice find! Great investment anyway! Those kids are gonna love shooting a "grown up" rifle!

Comment

Agree marlin 60 are one of the few hidden gems left in the world. It is the tactical stock version it has a factory set of rings and a nikko sterling scope for now oh and the stock is kryptec camo. Don’t care for the camo but it is what is. I’m going to order a full picatinny rail for so I have lots of adjustment on it. And warne rings and the the vx 3 will be mounted on it at some point. I did buy a magpul bipod for it so my grandson don’t have to fight with bags.

Comment

Just checked out your setup online Dawg. Those Nikko rings look an awful lot like the Talley lightweights I favor. The scope isn't a vx3for sure but it seems very capable. My advice is shoot it a bunch and let your experiences guide you from there. You might be happy as is. Wish we lived close, would love to come shoot 22's with you and yours, maybe chase some squirrels. I actually think the camo kinda badass. And I'm old school. Stay safe my friend, and get out there and shoot! 😉

Comment

Nice purchase Milldawg. You will all love it for sure. Although usable, I've found that using centerfire rifle scopes that are parallax zeroed at 100 yards do no shoot as accurately as .22LR scopes that are parallax zeroed at 50 yards. I am very pleased with the 22LR version of the Vortex Crossfire for .22s and it will be hard to beat.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E5A9BFEA-09A2-48C6-9D10-1D1715CF7754.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	5.41 MB
ID:	796908
                magpul bipod attached. I’m thinking about a diamond back tactical with side focus.

Comment

Very nice. Like your countertop as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                    Very nice. Like your countertop as well.
                    Thank you it was there when we moved in lol!

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                      Nice purchase Milldawg. You will all love it for sure. Although usable, I've found that using centerfire rifle scopes that are parallax zeroed at 100 yards do no shoot as accurately as .22LR scopes that are parallax zeroed at 50 yards. I am very pleased with the 22LR version of the Vortex Crossfire for .22s and it will be hard to beat.
                      I may end up using my m.223 3-12x42 Nikon is has side focus down to 50 yards. And I don’t use the ar it’s on so I wouldnt be out anything. It’s 1 inch tube scope. Because a picatinny rail for this thing is out of stock everywhere I have looked and I wouldn’t have to buy any rings. Just take off what’s on there and degrease and true up and loctite it all back together.
                      Last edited by Milldawg; 05-10-2022, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                        Just checked out your setup online Dawg. Those Nikko rings look an awful lot like the Talley lightweights I favor. The scope isn't a vx3for sure but it seems very capable. My advice is shoot it a bunch and let your experiences guide you from there. You might be happy as is. Wish we lived close, would love to come shoot 22's with you and yours, maybe chase some squirrels. I actually think the camo kinda badass. And I'm old school. Stay safe my friend, and get out there and shoot! 😉
                        Not a fan of the scope.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                          Yer right, dewman....and I don't even own one! LOL!!!
                          I picked one up at a pawnshop for a song. No feed tube and a couple of other minor "red neck" repairs.
                          Bought a tube and a couple of screws. Cleaned about a ton of gunk out of it and stepped out the back door.
                          Blew me away! At 25 yards, it would dang near stack bullets!
                          I bought it to flip and nearly doubled my money, so it was worth the trouble.

At one time, the Marlin (Glenfield) M60 was considered "THE" most accurate "out of the box" .22 rifle on the market.
                          That was supposedly due to Marlin's "Micro-Groove" rifling.
                          My experience is with a single M60. I think because they are so cheap, they're considered "junk".
                          The popularity of Ruger's 10/22 was it's worst enemy.

Not to take away from 'dawg's Howa! Nice find! Great investment anyway! Those kids are gonna love shooting a "grown up" rifle!
                          Yes sir they have been on me to buy a sniper rifle since it’s on one of the games they play so this is an affordable version.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                            Yes sir they have been on me to buy a sniper rifle since it’s on one of the games they play so this is an affordable version.
                            I'm giggling and laughing already, 'dawg! LOL!
                            I love it!

Comment

Milldawg : It looks like the pic rail is the same as the Ruger American rimfire. They are available all over.
                              Noted on the scope

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad