No announcement yet.

Guns for beginners and enders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I’m not as “seasoned” as most of you guys that have replied to this post. I still consider myself a spring chicken but during my time in the army I’ve managed to put my body through the ringer. As this years deer season ended and was putting away my Weatherby vanguard I thought to myself why the heck am I lugging this heavy thing around around the woods? Don’t get me wrong I love the rifle and that little 257 Wby Mag speed demon but I’m sure I could find something lighter, compact, and has minimal recoil to get the job done. My 7mm Rem Mag and 35 Whelen are great hunting calibers but honestly aren’t enjoyable to shoot. After about 8 to 10 rds my shoulder looks and feels like Mike Tyson has been using my shoulder as his punching bag. I’m honestly thinking about going with either a 243 Win, 257 Roberts, or a 7mm-08 in a compact rifle or young model rifle for next years deer season. My daughter shoots a 243 Win and my son shoots a 250 savage. They both smoke deer with those rifles. They’ve had them since they were 9 and 10. I’ve never seen them miss or have a deer run more then about 5 to 10 yards when they pull the trigger. They have never complained about felt recoil either. If it’s good enough for them then it should work just fine for me. Those calibers have very little recoil and will put a deer on the ground with no problem as long as I do my part. Most my shots will be under 100 yards so I’ll have plenty energy on target. I don’t think I or anyone else that wants to give their shoulder a rest from those hard hitters to try out one of the calibers I mentioned.

Comment

Good to hear from you again Sarge. I concur that the smaller calibers do fine for deer in most cases. I actually think your .257 Wby is an excellent low recoil rifle as long as you lighten up on the weight of the bullets. A 120g bullet is fine for elk but WAY overkill for deer. I use 100g bullets for deer although 90g Barnes bullets would work OK. I use 75g bullets for most varmint shooting. If you reload, you can slow them down a bit too. That .257 Wby has so much flexibility in load choices that it is a great cartridge. So is a 25-06 which I prefer over the .243. My buddy shot 8 deer over the last two seasons with his 6mm ARC, all from 300-350 yards. They were all bang-flops. That was with the 108ELD. Hardly any recoil on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Old_Sarge View Post
        Well I’m not as “seasoned” as most of you guys that have replied to this post. I still consider myself a spring chicken but during my time in the army I’ve managed to put my body through the ringer. As this years deer season ended and was putting away my Weatherby vanguard I thought to myself why the heck am I lugging this heavy thing around around the woods? Don’t get me wrong I love the rifle and that little 257 Wby Mag speed demon but I’m sure I could find something lighter, compact, and has minimal recoil to get the job done. My 7mm Rem Mag and 35 Whelen are great hunting calibers but honestly aren’t enjoyable to shoot. After about 8 to 10 rds my shoulder looks and feels like Mike Tyson has been using my shoulder as his punching bag. I’m honestly thinking about going with either a 243 Win, 257 Roberts, or a 7mm-08 in a compact rifle or young model rifle for next years deer season. My daughter shoots a 243 Win and my son shoots a 250 savage. They both smoke deer with those rifles. They’ve had them since they were 9 and 10. I’ve never seen them miss or have a deer run more then about 5 to 10 yards when they pull the trigger. They have never complained about felt recoil either. If it’s good enough for them then it should work just fine for me. Those calibers have very little recoil and will put a deer on the ground with no problem as long as I do my part. Most my shots will be under 100 yards so I’ll have plenty energy on target. I don’t think I or anyone else that wants to give their shoulder a rest from those hard hitters to try out one of the calibers I mentioned.
        There are WAY too many deer capable cartridges out there to shoot a heavy recoil....unless that's what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

There are WAY too many deer capable cartridges out there to shoot a heavy recoil....unless that's what you want.
          Ok I couldn’t agree with you more about that. There are plenty of cartridges to choose from that one can ethically take deer sized game on up the elk without the heavy recoil or having to lug around a heavy rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
            Being just a shotgun guy, and not being bothered yet by the 12 gauge slug-kick, I can't add much of anything. I have thought about getting a slug barrel for the 20-gauge, though. Three or four years ago I was seriously thinking about buying a rifle, as they've been legal for deer in my county for a while now, and talking a lot with my oldest brother, who isn't Dave Petzal but still knowledgeable like you guys. But ammo being the way it is now, and no chance of me ever reloading, that idea's on the shelf.
            Matt , I love shotgun deer hunters using their slug guns and never talking about recoil. Here in Md , Delaware, NJ and some parts of NY State I have hunted with slug guns and have hunted with those hunters! Rarely does anyone speak of recoil !

Comment

Stated both sons off with 243 winchesters but both went to 30-06 and 270 win as primary hunting rounds. I started with a 270 win and have killed most all big game animals with 270 and 30-06 . I want performance in the rifle I choose , I want to know I can kill cleanly at ever presentable shot opportunity( quartering front and rear shots. Hunting is never just a broadside affair I am limited with time and length of seasons , I want enough gun. That’s all relavent to the particular shooter and his or her criteria ! My criteria is based on time and opportunity so I choose 24 cal or above , good bullet design and flat shooting POI . Recoil is not a concern but mind you for most of my hunting standard calibers are perfect.
              I could care less what anyone uses but with these open forum discussions I am concerned that we send a poor message that too small a round is adequate . 223 may kill deer quite efficiently in a experienced hunters hands but in the hands of a novice it’s a disgrace. As far as recoil friendly deer rounds there are many and are effective killers 243 win 6mm creedmoor , 250 savage 257 roberts , 2506 , 6.5 CM , 260 rem, all the 27’s , 28’s etc !

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                Matt , I love shotgun deer hunters using their slug guns and never talking about recoil. Here in Md , Delaware, NJ and some parts of NY State I have hunted with slug guns and have hunted with those hunters! Rarely does anyone speak of recoil !
                The only time I've been bothered by shotgun recoil was when I foolishly bought a NEF single-shot 12 ga. in full choke for turkey season. It was very light. It kicked harder than the heavy 10-gauge single-shot I used for a while.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad