Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guns for beginners and enders.

As several of us have noted, we're beginning to show our age. 🙄
    As joints/bones become arthritic and muscles get (ahem!) less able to "take a licking and keep on ticking", what have you done or plan to do to mitigate heavy recoil and/or heavy guns?

This also goes for beginners. Youngsters, women and just lighter framed people who we don't want to start off with a .300 Wby Mag!

I have foot, leg and hip issues. I can't walk for miles like I did 30 years ago, so I've opted for lighter arms.

I had shoulder replacement surgery. I've gotten away from fixed actions. Pump, lever, single shot and bolt guns.
    I've gone semi auto and one .410 bolt for both deer and turkeys. ...and "NO!", I'm not going deer hunting with a .410!

Plans.
    Thoughts.
    Ideas.

Dunno just yet, about the only true hard kicker I have is my turkey gun and it doesn’t get shot enough to worry about. I’m still thinking of getting an all purpose 12ga auto loader but the way the grouse/woodcock hunting has been going I’m not sure I’d use one for uplands. My younger Brit is now 8 and I don’t know if I’ll get another bird dog at this point. Goose hunting is starting to look like a better option so I might just go with a straight up waterfowl shotgun.

That said a 20ga auto loader might be a good choice for a utility turkey and grouse gun. I keep dragging my feet on a purchase because I don’t “need” anything but want to actually use whatever I end up with.

The rifles aren’t much of an issue, especially now that I can hand load.

Comment

Being just a shotgun guy, and not being bothered yet by the 12 gauge slug-kick, I can't add much of anything. I have thought about getting a slug barrel for the 20-gauge, though. Three or four years ago I was seriously thinking about buying a rifle, as they've been legal for deer in my county for a while now, and talking a lot with my oldest brother, who isn't Dave Petzal but still knowledgeable like you guys. But ammo being the way it is now, and no chance of me ever reloading, that idea's on the shelf.

Comment

Already got 20s have an auto loader 12. And I have the 25-06s. I just detest recoil anyways.

Comment

It wasn’t for recoil reasons but I dropped from 100grs to 80grs of loose Pyrodex in my Huntsman muzzleloader quite a few years ago. Groups shrunk noticeably as did recoil. Deer still died the same.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
            Being just a shotgun guy, and not being bothered yet by the 12 gauge slug-kick, I can't add much of anything. I have thought about getting a slug barrel for the 20-gauge, though. Three or four years ago I was seriously thinking about buying a rifle, as they've been legal for deer in my county for a while now, and talking a lot with my oldest brother, who isn't Dave Petzal but still knowledgeable like you guys. But ammo being the way it is now, and no chance of me ever reloading, that idea's on the shelf.
            Are you limited to straight wall cartridges ? If so, there a lot of cartridges that are popular and won't bust the sholder. Usually a box or 2 will last a long time.

A NEF single shot in 45/70 is an excellent rifle. It will handle the full load 45/70 factory loads. There are 3 lfactory loads, the first 2 are for the old springfields. The NEF will handle the full power 45/70.
            jhjimbo
            ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
            Last edited by jhjimbo; 12-15-2021, 01:30 AM.

Comment

I'm definitely not as smart as you Bubba. I still bruise my shoulder on occasion as you see in the attached picture. I'm not sure whether it was old age or just learning from experience, but Click image for larger version

Name:	Bruised Shoulder.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	787372 I've always liked lighter recoil rifles and have found no benefit in my bullet penetrating a quarter of a mile through the trees after killing my deer.

I shoot a lot so I really appreciate the light recoil of .224 (.223, .220 Swift, 22 Creedmoor and 22-6mm Rem), 243 (6PPC, 6mm AR, 6mm Dasher and 6mm Creedmoor) .257 (.25 Creedmoor and 25-06) caliber bullets.

I've also adjusted to using muzzle brakes on many of my rifles, although that is more so to eliminate the need for a spotter on long range shots than to reduce recoil. I also like using a Lead Sled on heavier recoil loads like those in my .375 H&H or even in my .300 Dakota if I'm going to shoot 50 rounds or more in a sitting.

I have noted that I just can't do a lot of my favorite hunting anymore due to the problems you mentioned. Stomping for hours through bull rushes to scare up pheasants and deer just doesn't happen anymore. But I can still find a deer trail or a basin with juicy forage and wait for a big one while enjoying nature's majesty.
              DakotaMan
              ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
              Last edited by DakotaMan; 12-15-2021, 11:24 AM.

Comment

D'Man, I always was a "recoil weenie". Yeppers, when shooting at game, recoil is relatively imperceptible.
                It's on the bench and recreational shooting without an adrenaline flow (buffer?) that becomes problematic. LOL!

I suppose I could always learn to shoot left handed, but I prefer to use low recoil arms.
                My Rem "Sportsman" 16 gauge is a soft shooter...but about 5 or 6 rounds is a "shooting session" for me and my shoulder implant. That's enough to kill an enraged, charging bull turkey! 😳
                I've got three AR platform rifles. A 5.56/.223, 6.8mm Rem SPC and 7.62/.308.
                The AR platform is an ab sd elite dream in the recoil department.
                The .223 and 6.8 are light enough to carry easily.
                The AR10 .308?
                Not so much! Dude tips the scale at 11 pounds fully loaded!
                It only goes when I can drive to my blind or the blind is a short walk. LOL!

The only "fixed" action I shoot is a bolt action .410.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                  I'm still very stout and can take a lot of recoil. The 12 gauge heavy's and the single-shot .45-70 can dish it out. But, my long term goal is to move to lighter firearms and loads.

My plan is to eventually have only two deer rifles. One in .308 Win and one in 6.5 CM - the Creedmoor is a pussycat for recoil and in a Ruger American it's not heavy.

I just ordered a CZ 1012 semi-auto shotgun that will eventually be my only scattergun. Will eventually get rid of all the pump and single-shots. That should greatly help with recoil reduction.

I've already transitioned to 9mm, .357 mag, and .38 Spl for defensive handguns.

Have a plan / execute the plan - simple.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Browning target.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	510.9 KB
ID:	787425 I tried this - once !

Browning BPS, 12ga , 3" Wianchester Supreme Sabots firing as fast as I could cycle the gun.

Too Click image for larger version

Name:	Browning BPS 014.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	679.8 KB
ID:	787426 much for me.

Got a lot of deer with this rig (Leupold Vari X-III 2-7) Got it in 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                    I'm definitely not as smart as you Bubba. I still bruise my shoulder on occasion as you see in the attached picture. I'm not sure whether it was old age or just learning from experience, but Click image for larger version

Name:	Bruised Shoulder.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	787372.
                    Dakota that looks almost exactly like my complete tear of two tendons. The bruise was from falling off a truck and catching my upper arm on the edge of a trash can on the way down. Tendons in shoulder, but huge bruise on arm. The surgery was worse than the injury.

That doesn't look like a recoil bruise.

I don't shoot anything heftier than a 30/06 with 180s and it doesn't seem like much recoil to me. Both my teenager and I shot my new 10mm with full power loads and we didn't think it had too much recoil either. Maybe because we don't shoot handguns. Only other handgun I've shot much is a friend's 454 revolver and that thing did have excessive recoil. My bud kept trying to sell it to me but I generally don't like handguns, hard to shoot accurately.

Comment

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
                      That doesn't look like a recoil bruise.
                      Sorry to hear about your injury RR. Mine was a recoil bruise all right. I decided to shoot a newly built 25 Creedmoor in a 600 yard match before its LimbSaver recoil pad arrived. It had a steel butt plate. I was shooting a 131g bullet at 2950 all day for an accumulation of about 80 rounds. I was surprised to see the recoil was similar to a 7mm Mag. My shoulder was getting a little tender by the last relay. The bruise spread all over my arm and shoulder in the next few weeks. I fired another 1400 rounds with it after installing the LimbSaver and never had another issue with it.

Comment

Dakota; You wouldn’t happen to take blood thinners do you? I know a few people who bruise easily because of them.

I do know a guy who had a bruise like that from recoil, I’d invited a couple guys over to shoot clay birds once and a friend ended up looking just like that after about 50 rounds of 12ga target loads. First time he’d ever shot clays and with a brand new O/U. His mounting technique probably had a lot to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                          Dakota; You wouldn’t happen to take blood thinners do you? I know a few people who bruise easily because of them.

I do know a guy who had a bruise like that from recoil, I’d invited a couple guys over to shoot clay birds once and a friend ended up looking just like that after about 50 rounds of 12ga target loads. First time he’d ever shot clays and with a brand new O/U. His mounting technique probably had a lot to do with it.
                          Had a buddy take his new, nonhunting, father-in-law on a Texas coast duck/goose hunt.
                          About half way through the hunt, he noticed f-i-l wasn't shooting much and hitting less.
                          F-i-l then complained about his shoulder being sore.
                          Teasingly, the "boys in the blind" instructed the newbie hunter to hold the gun out, slightly off his shoulder.
                          "I'm barely touching my shoulder with the stock now!"

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post

Sorry to hear about your injury RR. Mine was a recoil bruise all right. I decided to shoot a newly built 25 Creedmoor in a 600 yard match before its LimbSaver recoil pad arrived. It had a steel butt plate. I was shooting a 131g bullet at 2950 all day for an accumulation of about 80 rounds. I was surprised to see the recoil was similar to a 7mm Mag. My shoulder was getting a little tender by the last relay. The bruise spread all over my arm and shoulder in the next few weeks. I fired another 1400 rounds with it after installing the LimbSaver and never had another issue with it.
                            Next time you go you should show that pic. to your Dr.. That is a heck of a hematoma to get from recoil. I shoot a .340Wby Mag with 275gr bullets and don't get a bruise like that.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Next time you go you should show that pic. to your Dr.. That is a heck of a hematoma to get from recoil. I shoot a .340Wby Mag with 275gr bullets and don't get a bruise like that.
                              That is good advice jimbo. Throughout life, I've seldom bruised. As a matter of fact, I endured over 100 bone fractures playing football and can't remember ever getting a bruise. I've seldom seen a bruise during my life. However, as I age, I realize hematomas are more likely to occur, especially with my meds. I do suspect that if you were to let someone hit you in the shoulder 80 times with a steel hammer, it would likely bruise anyone. I'll bet your .340 did not have a steel butt plate either. Even if it was a decent butt pad, was that 80 rounds? I shoot rifles like that off a Lead Sled if I'm going to shoot more than 20 rounds.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad