Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remington

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gun-mak...-800-jobs/#app

This is sad and devastating for the small city of Ilion NY .

It is sad indeed. Thank you Gov. Cuomo, (d-NY)!

Ilion, New York
    New Haven, Connecticut

New England cities that are forever etched into the history of American firearms.
    It's literally "unAmerican" that due to liberalism in the tap roots of our government, we lose such historic sites where the tools of our freedoms were forged.

That's just fine Cuomo, et al, us "Suthnuhs" are "pickled tink" to have such fine, historic companies move their business to friendlier climes!

Welcome To The South!

Comment

Well Tennessee is welcoming smith and Wesson.

Comment

I saw the new ammo plant and that Co. seems to be doing it right. Best wishes to the firearms Co.

Comment

From a historical perspective and NY’er I hate to see this but as a Remington guy I’d rather see them go and succeed than stay and fold. Again.

Comment

I'm not a NY'er and "I" hate to see them leave.
            The gun companies were so "American", so historical, so "this is where it all started", so "don't mess with us", so "Molon Labe"!

There is a letter from a British soldier to his wife in England. In it he mentions, "These rebels and their cursed, widow making twisted rifles."
            A lot of Americans owned rifled .30 to .45 caliber guns built in Pennsylvania by German immigrant craftsmen.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
              It is sad indeed. Thank you Gov. Cuomo, (d-NY)!

Ilion, New York
              New Haven, Connecticut

New England cities that are forever etched into the history of American firearms.
              It's literally "unAmerican" that due to liberalism in the tap roots of our government, we lose such historic sites where the tools of our freedoms were forged.

That's just fine Cuomo, et al, us "Suthnuhs" are "pickled tink" to have such fine, historic companies move their business to friendlier climes!

Welcome To The South!
              To be fair to my State of Connecticut, we have our problems with taxes, but the crap Winchester was turning out towards the end there stay in New Haven was on them. They never retooled their line and the machinery was garbage. Funny, I just drove by the factory today on my way to work. Half of it is "luxury" condos now and the whole area has been developed by Yale. But yes, in general all the New England gun manufacturers are heading south for tax breaks and cheaper labor. I can't say that I blame them.

That being said, for all the crap we get for being liberal, with my pistol permit, I can walk into a store and buy a gun after the instant background check and walk out. I can do that as often as I want. I don't feel having to get the pistol permit is all that difficult or an affront against my liberties.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose1980 View Post

To be fair to my State of Connecticut, we have our problems with taxes, but the crap Winchester was turning out towards the end there stay in New Haven was on them. They never retooled their line and the machinery was garbage. Funny, I just drove by the factory today on my way to work. Half of it is "luxury" condos now and the whole area has been developed by Yale. But yes, in general all the New England gun manufacturers are heading south for tax breaks and cheaper labor. I can't say that I blame them.

That being said, for all the crap we get for being liberal, with my pistol permit, I can walk into a store and buy a gun after the instant background check and walk out. I can do that as often as I want. I don't feel having to get the pistol permit is all that difficult or an affront against my liberties.
                From what I’ve read Marlin’s tooling was headed downhill before the Remington deal as well. Could be part of the reason they sold out. Remington’s Ilion plant is obviously old also, the new owners got a deal on the business but it’s hard to blame them for not wanting to invest the kind of money they’re going to spend in that location.

As far as a pistol permit that depends on where you live and how hard it is to get one. A clean record should be an automatic issue, unfortunately that’s not the case everywhere. SCOTUS ruling on the NY case will be big.

Comment

moose1980 wrote:
                  "... I can walk into a store and buy a gun after the instant background check and walk out. I can do that as often as I want. I don't feel having to get the pistol permit is all that difficult or an affront against my liberties. ..."

I've been able to do that in TX and OK without a "pistol permit".
                  The difficulty or affront to your liberties has nothing to do with any inconvenience.
                  It's the fact that you have to "jump through hoops" to get the pistol permit which is against everything the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution stands for.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                    moose1980 wrote:
                    "... I can walk into a store and buy a gun after the instant background check and walk out. I can do that as often as I want. I don't feel having to get the pistol permit is all that difficult or an affront against my liberties. ..."

I've been able to do that in TX and OK without a "pistol permit".
                    The difficulty or affront to your liberties has nothing to do with any inconvenience.
                    It's the fact that you have to "jump through hoops" to get the pistol permit which is against everything the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution stands for.
                    Years ago, when the federal 3 day cooling off restriction was in force, people watched me buy a hand gun at a pawn shop using my ccp to deal, buy, show, and walk out without a waiting period.

Now, I can buy, show, fill out the form, and walk without the 1/2 hour phone call that could result in a delay that depended on the distance between my house and the seller. The greater the distance, the more likely it would be that I was delayed, meaning the return trip that sometimes was interrupted by turning around and driving back to the shop.

Things have gotten more streamlined, but somebody is gonna mess that up just to make my life unfit to live without daily torture of liberals

Comment

I am a very strong supporter of our 2A, even though I have little to do with firearms other than for self/home defense. So, my post may be somewhat off topic. But since it does involve home defense, my anger are adds pushing antigun sources requiring laws to make it mandatory that firearms be locked in a safe, or where not immediately accessible.

If a person possess a firearm for defense, it is useless for that purpose if it is locked in a safe, or elsewhere, when needed for its purpose. I am aware that there are reasons to safeguard weapons, but to place them where not accessible, certainly defeats their use when needed !

Comment

It is starting. Inside source says Biden is making a list of all American gun owners.

Comment

I'm pleased to see that Remington firearms will continue production. I have no idea what all the factors in the relocation decision were but I suspect we will see a higher quality and better business model as a result of this decision. I have owned and enjoyed several Remington products and would hate to see them disappear. I hope the voters in New York are pleased with the decision too.

I live in Georgia and am proud to welcome them to our state. We have hard workers, outstanding engineers and we love the Constitution of the United States. I have no doubt, we will help them retain the reputation they have earned as the backbone of freedom in America.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                            I'm pleased to see that Remington firearms will continue production. I have no idea what all the factors in the relocation decision were but I suspect we will see a higher quality and better business model as a result of this decision. I have owned and enjoyed several Remington products and would hate to see them disappear. I hope the voters in New York are pleased with the decision too.

I live in Georgia and am proud to welcome them to our state. We have hard workers, outstanding engineers and we love the Constitution of the United States. I have no doubt, we will help them retain the reputation they have earned as the backbone of freedom in America.
                            I have heard they will start up 870's first.
                            Before the new owners, Remington invested millions $$ in Illion on all new machines on the rifle lines. Should be able to make some good products. Lets see what the designers /engineers come up wiith. Good luck to them.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I have heard they will start up 870's first.
                              Before the new owners, Remington invested millions $$ in Illion on all new machines on the rifle lines. Should be able to make some good products. Lets see what the designers /engineers come up wiith. Good luck to them.
                              I hope they focus on the 870s, 1100s and 700s. The shotguns are good as is but I'd like to see them adjust the design for recoil reduction such as Benelli and others have done. Recoil reduction systems really make a difference for getting on target quickly with follow-up shots.

I hope the 700 line can produce a trued action. Their previous actions required truing in order to use them for precision shooting. The bolt lugs didn't match the receiver lugs, the front of the receiver wasn't square with the barrel threads, the bolt timing is wrong so bolts stick, etc. I see no reason in this age of EDM to do anything but cut steel square and straight. If they can do that, they can compete with the knock-off Rem clone manufacturers. Rifles from Howa, Tikka and others don't have this problem.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad