No announcement yet.

Bust gun buying trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"... I wouldn’t be surprised if we’ve burst the bubble on all the gimmicky junk that’s been piled to the ceilings in these places. There’s no money in filling those buildings with items that don’t move.

Maybe it’s just me.

Thoughts? ..."

Just how many "butt out" tools can you sell in Homeville, USA?

I think you have a valid point. We would get a load of goods at the store I worked in.
    "What the hell is going to but THIS crap?" It would fly off the shelves!
    "Wow! These things ought to sell like hit cakes!"
    A year later, I'm dusting them on the shelf instead of checking them out at the register!

In the store we found in Bishop, there was stuck back on shelves from the 50's and 60's!
    He had a 25 round box of 10 gauge blanks! Who in blue blazes shoots 10 gauge blanks?

Found a RCBS #5 case trimmer gauge! I'd never seen one! Didn't even know they existed.
    Kid bought it! $6.99!
    "Why?", I asked.
    "Because you don't have one!"
    MEC 1.75 ounce charge bars!
    MEC charge bar powder bushings.
    Williams front and rear iron sights.
    Crap I hadn't seen in 40 years still graced his shelves.
    Next time we go by, I'm going to spend and hour or two digging through his cache!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210922_223737.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	781081
    Anybody ever see one or have one, or the set?
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 09-22-2021, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Getting to be the same situation around here. The M&P gun store and reloader that I did business with for years, is gone. Told me he couldn't keep up with the demand he had with the supply he could get. (That was actually back in the last of the obummer years!) Local outlets that have managed to stay in business, have all gone tacticool. Apparently there is more market to Tommy wannabe tactical badass than to hunters and shooters.
      I have bought the last four weapons I have purchased, online. Two rifles, one shotgun, one EDC .38 Special +P hideout. Guns are there, if you have the patience to look and wait, and a little horse trading, offer/counter offer sometimes will work, also.
      Dick's and F&S stores up on I 45 S seem to be struggling. Don't think the bicycle and hiking crowd can keep them in business much longer, with Academy, Cabela's, Bass Pro, and six or seven Carter's Country stores all within less than an hour's drive around them. Carter's County is a local outfit, advertizes "guns and huntin' stuff", but unfortunately for ya'll that aren't in Texas, they are only local to the Houston area. (Don't know if they do internet business or not. Google Carter's Country.)
      Downside of having all these outlets around, none of them have ammunition, powder, components, or much selection on shotgun shells. Couple of years ago, every retailer and Wallyworld would have been advertising 12 and 20 gauge dove loads, cheaper than the next guy!
      Possibly this is only a setback for a few years, with a change in administrations and a different set of political values, the situation may come back to something resembling normal. However, I would buy what I could get, save whatever I could, and keep my powder dry. May get worse, a lot worse, before it gets better.
      crm

Comment

I am of the opinion that things aren’t going to get better anytime soon. The supply base is severely damaged from labor and material shortages due to the inept handling of the plandemic. Inflation is going to gobble up discretionary spending and manufacturers aren’t likely to produce (aka import from Asia) much of what they can’t see selling. Guns and ammo will continue to be hoarded during these uncertain times driving up prices and limiting availability. I am positive that I have enough to supply my hunting needs for 2 lifetimes and enough to go down in a pile of hot brass if the SHTF. Be safe out there!

Comment

"... Inflation is going to gobble up discretionary spending ..."

Already has! My budget is about 3 turns tighter than tree bark now!
          When Trump was in office, I always had a few bucks stuck back.

Buck Joe Fiden!

Comment

At best things may level out but it’s doubtful we’ll go back to any where near what we were used to. I can see a glut of used guns coming into shops when many of the panic buyers decide to cash out for what they can get.

I’d hoped to spend much of my retirement shooting more often but time will tell. It isn’t that far off, should be in the term following the next presidential election.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              At best things may level out but it’s doubtful we’ll go back to any where near what we were used to. I can see a glut of used guns coming into shops when many of the panic buyers decide to cash out for what they can get.

I’d hoped to spend much of my retirement shooting more often but time will tell. It isn’t that far off, should be in the term following the next presidential election.
              "IF" we have another presidential election! 🤯!
              I figure the (d)'s "KNOW" they can't win the WH in '24 and will pull whatever dirty tricks they can dig up out of the bag.
              They are "STILL" trying to prosecute Trump!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad