Bust gun buying trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bust gun buying trip

Headed to Syracuse Sunday for the big fall gun show. Had a pocket full of cash and was looking to spend it. Wanted a stainless .270, a synthetic 12 gauge auto and a 70-80’s style 2-7 or 3-9 gloss scope.

Total waste of time. Almost picked up a Beretta a300 Outlander that was very clean. The guy countered my first offer by coming down a little bit, I figured maybe he’d meet half way or at least close but before making another offer I checked to see if he had the rest of the chokes and wrench or any other extras. He had nothing. It took it out of the running because I want this for an all purpose gun and intend to use at least three different tubes. By the time I picked up replacements I’d have been back into near new price territory.

There wasn’t a single scope of interest and stainless center fire rifles were scarce as hens teeth. I did find one that was almost exactly what I was there for and in my intended price range but unfortunately was a 7mm Rem Mag. I’m not starting over with reloading components for a new to me chambering.

Wasn’t unexpected so my next move was to hit up a Gander Outdoors about 15 minutes up the road. The same one that had the great sales this summer and several Rem 700 Stainless Fluted CDL’s.

When I got past the front section to where I could see the back wall I was stunned to see this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	70610C9A-F4E4-4EB5-AE5D-AC1F9A853972.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.78 MB ID:	780838

Apparently the great fishing and apparel sales were just the start. There was about 20 feet of shelf space with some oddball fishing stuff that was now 90% off. I picked up about ten things we’ll actually use and spent less than $4.

It appears that store is going to be a straight up Campers World location.

This is getting out of hand. I’d be happy to support the local small gun shops but none of them carry what I’m looking for. The only big box that are an option anywhere nearby are Dick’s/F&S and I’m trying hard not to go there.

Seriously considering an out of state trip but would like to avoid another disappointment.

Bummer news guys.
    First off, I don't need any guns, but the butt load I literally sold for little profit 10 years ago would have brought a fortune these days. 😖
    I had some real clunkers that would have brought a premium.

Thsee are crazy times....and I don't see it getting any better.... ☹ ....guns, ammo OR components!

Comment

I tried doing business with camping world. You have been warned don’t.
      They ran my credit 6 times last year without my approval while I was shopping for a camper. I don’t use credit a lot which hurts my score I pay cash. The arrogant sales man thought I didn’t have shit. He didn’t know I had 10k cash in my pocket for my down payment. I was told they were getting preliminary offers. Not actually running my credit. When I found out I almost completely lost my shit. My wife had to drag me out of there. Needless to say a year later and my credit hasn’t fully recovered. I drove 6 hours to buy a camper instead of buying one from them 45 minutes away. I will never step foot in there again. Both company are owned by the same guy. So gander or camping world will not get any of my money ever.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
        Headed to Syracuse Sunday for the big fall gun show. Had a pocket full of cash and was looking to spend it. Wanted a stainless .270, a synthetic 12 gauge auto and a 70-80’s style 2-7 or 3-9 gloss scope.

Total waste of time. Almost picked up a Beretta a300 Outlander that was very clean. The guy countered my first offer by coming down a little bit, I figured maybe he’d meet half way or at least close but before making another offer I checked to see if he had the rest of the chokes and wrench or any other extras. He had nothing. It took it out of the running because I want this for an all purpose gun and intend to use at least three different tubes. By the time I picked up replacements I’d have been back into near new price territory.

There wasn’t a single scope of interest and stainless center fire rifles were scarce as hens teeth. I did find one that was almost exactly what I was there for and in my intended price range but unfortunately was a 7mm Rem Mag. I’m not starting over with reloading components for a new to me chambering.

Wasn’t unexpected so my next move was to hit up a Gander Outdoors about 15 minutes up the road. The same one that had the great sales this summer and several Rem 700 Stainless Fluted CDL’s.

When I got past the front section to where I could see the back wall I was stunned to see this.

Click image for larger version Name:	70610C9A-F4E4-4EB5-AE5D-AC1F9A853972.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.78 MB ID:	780838

Apparently the great fishing and apparel sales were just the start. There was about 20 feet of shelf space with some oddball fishing stuff that was now 90% off. I picked up about ten things we’ll actually use and spent less than $4.

It appears that store is going to be a straight up Campers World location.

This is getting out of hand. I’d be happy to support the local small gun shops but none of them carry what I’m looking for. The only big box that are an option anywhere nearby are Dick’s/F&S and I’m trying hard not to go there.

Seriously considering an out of state trip but would like to avoid another disappointment.
        Bass pro has everything but ammo in Memphis

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo
          I also wasted my time Sunday at the show.

I scored at gander after your message on three pairs of boots, fishing rods and lures.
          Thanks for the heads up.

Gander is also going to sell bass boats.

You could try bass pro, I ordered an 30/06
          online and had it delivered to Auburn in three days. Ammo is a different problem 🤬🤬🤬🤬
          Glad you got in on those deals earlier, it was hard not to go overboard. If I’d known the hunting gear was going I’d have kept tabs on the store. Should have realized then. Hindsight.

BassPro ruined Cabela’s for me but is an option. I’m closer to the Utica outlet than Auburn, and it’s not much farther for me to get to Cabela’s in Hamburg PA than Auburn either. Been in all three.

I just realized Runnings might be worth checking as well. Have only hit them up a couple times because we rarely are anywhere near one but have done ok when we have stopped in.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
            I tried doing business with camping world. You have been warned don’t.
            They ran my credit 6 times last year without my approval while I was shopping for a camper. I don’t use credit a lot which hurts my score I pay cash. The arrogant sales man thought I didn’t have shit. He didn’t know I had 10k cash in my pocket for my down payment. I was told they were getting preliminary offers. Not actually running my credit. When I found out I almost completely lost my shit. My wife had to drag me out of there. Needless to say a year later and my credit hasn’t fully recovered. I drove 6 hours to buy a camper instead of buying one from them 45 minutes away. I will never step foot in there again. Both company are owned by the same guy. So gander or camping world will not get any of my money ever.
            That definitely sucks.

I forget the CW dude’s name but from what I’ve read he might not be much different than DSP’s Stack character. I’ll still buy stuff from either when it’s over 50% off, and especially when it’s well over. Not much profit in it when they’re practically giving it away. Wouldn’t finance with either though.

Comment

Actually the show itself wasn’t too bad, it was the 5 hour round trip eating up the beautiful day that hurt. I come home from most of them empty handed but when I do find something it generally makes it worth putting the time in. Much like yard sales and auctions.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                Actually the show itself wasn’t too bad, it was the 5 hour round trip eating up the beautiful day that hurt. I come home from most of them empty handed but when I do find something it generally makes it worth putting the time in. Much like yard sales and auctions.
                5 hours out of Syracuse and you would not be in NY.

Check this out. the Fin has two stores I can easily get to. It is privately owned and I think he is up to 5 or 6 stores now. https://www.bing.com/search?q=fin+fe...77f8d8263583cd

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

5 hours out of Syracuse and you would not be in NY.

Check this out. the Fin has two stores I can easily get to. It is privately owned and I think he is up to 5 or 6 stores now. https://www.bing.com/search?q=fin+fe...77f8d8263583cd
                  I said round trip Jim, 2.5 hours each way.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo

I was in Runnings last week and they didn't have much.
                    Good to know, thanks!

Comment

Just left Academy in Corpus Christi, TX.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	20210921_141545.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	780918 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210921_141652.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	780919 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210921_141446.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	780920 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210921_141455.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	780921
                      Seemed to be a "sufficient" number of guns, just nothing I was interested in.
                      Ammo:
                      plenty .22LR
                      Some .223
                      Some .308
                      Bunch of .350 Legend?
                      Pistol ammo! 1 20 round box of .40 S&W $31.99!

Comment

Oh yeah!
                        THIS caught my attention!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210921_141705.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	780924
                        Browning "Buckmark" w/laser dot sight!
                        That would be fun to play with for a while! 😃👀

Comment

Fitch270: That's wild. I think it interesting that here in Missouri there are +4,000 guns listed on Armslist yet barely 400 for all of New York. For 270's there are bolts, pumps, autos, only one in ss though.(Savage). Farm&Homes around here have plenty of guns too. Though "common" ammo seems to flow up and down there is a LOT of oddball stuff in calibers I've never heard of.

Comment

Stumbled into a M&P gun store in Bishop, TX yesterday.
                            Lots of guns, some roading powders and a few bullets. NO primers! LOL!
                            They had quite a selection of ammo, but no big stocks...except some .270 Wby Mag ammo! There had to be 20 or 30 boxes in various bullet weights. It was priced $69.99 up to $99.99 per box.
                            The name of the place is "Outdoor Country". www.camo99.com.

Even found a Rem 11-48 16ga. Nice gun, but it was plenty well used and priced a bit too high for it's condition.

Comment

I posted this as a new thread over on OL but thought I’d just add it here since this is what started me thinking about it.
                              I could probably word things a little better if I took the time but you should get the idea where I’m going with it. Here goes, cut and paste.

So the gun show wasn’t a total surprise, I still wanted to go for several reasons. One was to get an idea of what’s out there. Another was just because we haven’t had many chances the past year and a half. The last was to hit up the Gander Outdoor store up the road.

That store closing out of hunting, fishing and apparel shocked me. The location is smack dab in the middle of the state, just a ways off the NYS Thruway and near some of the best fishing opportunities you could want. Decent population base and easy access. Seems odd.

Maybe not. With all the other shortages of late it’s easy to think
                              it’s a supply issue. But even before last year hunting & fishing outlets were going through some serious changes. A decade ago there was huge competition for market share, then it seemed like things started going downhill fast. BassPro/Cabela’s merger, Gander Mtn out of business, DSP and Walmart backing off gun sales, etc. You wouldn’t think demand was down that much even under Trump. Internet sales to blame? Maybe but much of those were from the big players anyway. Big box stores thrive on turnover, they stock what sells. The first time I walked into the Hamburg Cabela’s I was in awe. Almost as much my first Gander Mtn visit. I certainly like clearance deals but was still careful about what I bought. After awhile when the newness wore off I started looking around and thinking “Who buys all this crap?

I’m starting to think less and less people. Not so much for a lack of interest in the sports, but more because of a mind set. Younger folks tend to be minimalists. Older folks already have enough stuff that’s still usable, if it gets used at all. I wouldn’t be surprised if we’ve burst the bubble on all the gimmicky junk that’s been piled to the ceilings in these places. There’s no money in filling those buildings with items that don’t move.

Maybe it’s just me.

Thoughts?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 2050
                                by DakotaMan
                                That sounds a little bit racist jimbo. Another way to put it is that the majority of the countries that have failed have not not been mulit-racial. Given...
                                Today, 07:42 PM
                                by jhjimbo
                                What will hunting (if any ) look like in 2050 ? Any prognosticators out there ?

With land becoming more and more densly populated, animals...
                                11-24-2021, 10:00 AM
                              • Reply to Pres. H.R. Clinton (d)
                                by franchi20
                                Could be, but, Jill already has more houses than she can use. Except missing one on Nantucket....
                                Today, 07:14 PM
                              • Pres. H.R. Clinton (d)
                                by FirstBubba
                                Wanna read something scarey?
                                Try this on for size!
                                Sadly, it makes perfect sense.

https://citizenfreepress.com/breaking/get-...
                                Today, 05:34 PM
                              • Reply to Rittenhouse NOT Guilty
                                by 99explorer
                                If you were Kyle Rittenhouse's father and he said,
                                "Hey Dad, there is a riot going on over in Kenosha. Can I go and bring my gun?"...
                                Today, 06:56 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X