Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhjimbo
    replied
    What is the current going price for American made 9mm 115gr box of 50 ? I just bought Remington 115gr Target ammo for $20. Is that a good price ?

Leave a comment:

• Ernie
    replied
    Threads like this always puts a smile on my face.
    It would be great to see more this on this forum!
    Good for you!

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
    If she is new to shooting larger caliber handguns, I'd recommend loading some lighter weight wad cutters at lower velocity to keep the recoil down for starters. I have seen several people get really turned OFF on pistol shooting by trying hunting magnums; especially women. These hot hunting loads DO have lots of recoil and it might not be FUN for some. If she likes it, she can always move up gradually to hotter loads. The big pistols can also instill some real bad habits in good pistol shooters (namely "jerk" and "flinch").
    I would start with .38's in my ruger Blackhawk. Then if her grip is sufficient, I would let her shoot some .44spl in the 29 after I shot a couple to show her what to expect. She is a big girl, 22yo, and hopefully has good hand/ wrist strength.
    I had to back off on the 29 and Blackhawk as I was shooting 50 of each at a visit to the range. I think I was getting carpal tunnel or arthritis. Better now that I don't shoot so much. All my loads have always been within 1 gr of max.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    If she is new to shooting larger caliber handguns, I'd recommend loading some lighter weight wad cutters at lower velocity to keep the recoil down for starters. I have seen several people get really turned OFF on pistol shooting by trying hunting magnums; especially women. These hot hunting loads DO have lots of recoil and it might not be FUN for some. If she likes it, she can always move up gradually to hotter loads. The big pistols can also instill some real bad habits in good pistol shooters (namely "jerk" and "flinch").

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
    Good for her. I'll bet she is having FUN. The only issue with pistol shooting is that you can never get enough ammo. It is so fun; you want to shoot thousands of rounds.
    I gave her a brick of Remington Target Ammo and have more where that came from. She is also getting her girlfriend into shooting. She said the Remington shot great and no miss fire like she is having with other brands. I asked when we go to My Club if she wants to shoot the .357 and Dirty Harry gun and she is all for it. I will use .38spl first. Have to check her grip before letting her shoot the 29.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-18-2021, 10:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Good for her. I'll bet she is having FUN. The only issue with pistol shooting is that you can never get enough ammo. It is so fun; you want to shoot thousands of rounds.

Leave a comment:

• Milldawg
    replied
    Nice need more women invoked in the field.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    started a topic Target Practice

Target Practice

My Niece has been doing some shooting, 9mm and .22lr - doing very good. Shoots at a large indoor two level range. She has 2 pistols and already looking at getting another. parma armory oh - Bing

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad