My grandfathers revolver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My grandfathers revolver

Work around the house this weekend when I came across my grandfathers Iver Johnson 32 S&W My grandfather past away before I was born so all I have is pictures and stories. He was a very soft spoken man , a very good semi pro pitcher who had Micky Cochrane hall of fame catcher catch him through one season and said he was one of the best pitchers he ever caught ( Micky heaped praise on anyone who bought him a drink lol ) Irving Chambers had 12 children and sent three sons to WW2 one son to Korea ! He developed a lung problem much like black lung from working in the clay pits. He had very few personal possessions but he held on to this small revolver. My uncle told me that everyone in those days ( WW1 era ) carried a pocket pistol because of long dark coach rides. He held on to this gun until he passed away in 1958 much to my grandmothers chagrin . It’s not worth anything and I don’t even have shells for it but it’s a very special gun to me because of its value to my grandfather.

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
    Work around the house this weekend when I came across my grandfathers Iver Johnson 32 S&W My grandfather past away before I was born so all I have is pictures and stories. He was a very soft spoken man , a very good semi pro pitcher who had Micky Cochrane hall of fame catcher catch him through one season and said he was one of the best pitchers he ever caught ( Micky heaped praise on anyone who bought him a drink lol ) Irving Chambers had 12 children and sent three sons to WW2 one son to Korea ! He developed a lung problem much like black lung from working in the clay pits. He had very few personal possessions but he held on to this small revolver. My uncle told me that everyone in those days ( WW1 era ) carried a pocket pistol because of long dark coach rides. He held on to this gun until he passed away in 1958 much to my grandmothers chagrin . It’s not worth anything and I don’t even have shells for it but it’s a very special gun to me because of its value to my grandfather.
    Neat gun , thanks for sharing.

Comment

A nice memory. I'm glad you know the story. Thanks.

Comment

The value of an item like that can't be calculated.

About 15 years ago, I dug through some excess ammo I had and hauled everything that wouldn't fit a chamber I owned down to a gun show and sold the whole shooting match.
        I sold the only box of .32 S&W for $15! 😖!
        I would put your story to paper and put it with the firearm in a safe place. Hobby stores sell wooden boxes you could line with satin or felt.
        ....or maybe a friend would oblige you with a sample of his/her wood working skills.

Great story, pmacc60!

Comment

My maternal grandfather died in a car accident when my mother was four years old. I have two butcher knives and a compass that belonged to him but my aunt used to tell me I also ended up with his red hair and temper. I wish my mother could have really remembered him, she had to settle for stories from her two older sisters, her mother was so crushed by the loss she couldn’t bring herself to ever talk about him.

We hang on to what we can I guess. Nice heirloom Pmacc, hope one of your grandsons someday cherishes it as much as you do.

Comment

Nice revolver. A box of 32S&W is now worth $40. I see these around the flea market. A lot of them have shorter barrel. Saw a .22 yesterday with 4 barrels and the firing pin rotated. A Canadian Centenial Winchester 30-30 went for $650. No box.

Comment

Thanks guys , not a great post but trying to ad something without the political / Covid debate .

Comment

Thanks guys , not a great post but trying to ad something without the political / Covid debate .
                Excellent post, and thanks for sharing it.

I have nothing of my paternal grandfather, who was gone long before I showed up. Rumor has it he was not a nice man at all.

My maternal grandfather, I knew pretty well; he lived up through my twelfth year. Gave me a few odds and ends of fishing tackle here and there, and left me a worn-out single-shot Ranger .22 missing its trigger guard. Gramps was never a well-heeled man (more than a dozen kids, sidehill farm, a little too much fondness for beer). I used that .22 a good bit, though, after one of my brothers-in-law did some work on it. Even in my early 30s, I was still using it for September squirrels.

Comment

Thanks for posting. That is a family relic and I'm happy to hear you treasure it. It is a symbol of days long gone and it is something that gave your ancestor enjoyment in their hard life. I am honored to inherit my great-grandfather's pocket pistol that he acquired just after WWII.

Comment

I saw something at the flea market. .30cal, 100gr half jacket box of bullets. Anybody know what they are for? Pistol? Varmint?

Comment

Speer used to make those for the .30 M1 Carbine. They also made a 90 grain.
                      Ken used to load them in his .300 Win Mag! He claimed he could turn a crow into feather dust at 400 yards! LOL!

I used to load Sierra 90 gr HP for my .270. It was tight cloverleaf patterns at 100 yards at about 3600 fps.
                      I can't find them anymore and would like some for my 6.8mm.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0886.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	3.71 MB
ID:	779152 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0890.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	3.80 MB
ID:	779153 I killed these 3 hogs with a Sierra 90 gr HP out of the 6.8mm.
                      Last edited by FirstBubba; 08-31-2021, 10:29 PM. Reason: Add photos

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2525.PNG
Views:	77
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	779244 Saw this this morning. You could have a pair, one under each arm prohibition gangster style!😉

Comment

I saw a interesting derringer, a 4 barrel with a rotating firing pin. Made in Chicago. Probably .22long.

Comment

Three more loads in this session. 20 more .340Wby 250gr, 30 .300 Wby 180's and 20 .300Wby with 220gr. That is it for a while. I have a new scope coming so that will require some shooting and then some reloading.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How come the Amish aren't all dead?
                              by Pmacc60
                              Why post something like fact check and make a statement like Amish have dug a lot of graves. ? Fact check only says Amish are effected by Covid 19’...
                              Today, 12:50 AM
                            • How come the Amish aren't all dead?
                              by labrador12
                              The Amish Community have largely ignored the Covid bullcrap, got the virus, and continued on their way. Herd immunity and disregard for the vaccine played...
                              10-11-2021, 08:52 AM
                            • Reply to TGIF: Fired Up Friday
                              by jhjimbo
                              Duran Duran in the news - another alblum. I did not know they were still kicking....
                              Today, 12:25 AM
                            • TGIF: Fired Up Friday
                              by fitch270
                              Easy one this week that should cover all kinds of styles.

Lighting it up with one from The Cult

”Fire Woman”...
                              10-22-2021, 07:47 AM
                            • Reply to May Use This One
                              by jhjimbo
                              When I first got it only Norma ammo was readly available. now several load for it as do I....
                              Today, 12:16 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X