Burn Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    I must be doing it wrong. I develop a hunting load and use it, ignoring temperature sensitivity and lot variations. And yes, I'll mix the last portion of one can with a new one of the same powder type, totally ignoring the lot number. Never had an impact shift from powder variations to make me miss a deer or pig.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat, pighunter. I never paid any attention to temps and batch variations. My reloading mentor was a gunsmith of sorts.
    That was about the only "rule" he wouldn't break, mixing powder batches.
    The guy washed his resized cases in gasoline and I don't think he EVER ran a case through a polisher! But he was a nice guy and an okay, run of the mill, gunsmith.
    ....and he seldom missed!

Comment

For general hunting, it doesn't matter as I said above, with the one caveat of high pressure, if your original load is screaming high pressure (which is not wise to begin with).

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
        For general hunting, it doesn't matter as I said above, with the one caveat of high pressure, if your original load is screaming high pressure (which is not wise to begin with).
        Did yo ever hear the story of Roy Weatherby wanting to know just how strong the MK V, 9 lug action was ?
        He got Norma and his gunsmith to load a .300WbyMag with a single bullet first then a live complete shell after the bullet. Pulled the triger and it all went down the barrel. Gunsmiths and Norma examined the action and there was no damage. They estimated they got about 250,000 psi pressure.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad