Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry Cred Fans

https://www.fieldandstream.com/guns/...ffinity=hunter

" if you want to do everything discussed here with only one factory rifle, and with factory ammo, the 6.5 Creedmoor might be the only rifle you need. " - Richard Mann, F&S June 21, 2021

Four Reasons Why the 6.5 Creedmoor Sucks | Field & Stream (fieldandstream.com)

We've already discussed this just a few weeks ago. The sales of 6.5 CM rifles and ammo now exceed that of the .30-06. Typically, factory rifle / ammo combos are more accurate in the Creedmoor but at 2/3 the recoil. Petzal has achieved Geezer status.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      " if you want to do everything discussed here with only one factory rifle, and with factory ammo, the 6.5 Creedmoor might be the only rifle you need. " - Richard Mann, F&S June 21, 2021

Four Reasons Why the 6.5 Creedmoor Sucks | Field & Stream (fieldandstream.com)

We've already discussed this just a few weeks ago. The sales of 6.5 CM rifles and ammo now exceed that of the .30-06. Typically, factory rifle / ammo combos are more accurate in the Creedmoor but at 2/3 the recoil. Petzal has achieved Geezer status.
      Mann actually wrote that article, not Petzal.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Mann actually wrote that article, not Petzal.
        Hmmm, I was responding to Jimbo's other topic. It was an article about the '06 by Petzal.

Why 30-06 Ammo Is the Best Hunting Cartridge | Field & Stream (fieldandstream.com)

Comment

In either case, everyone here knows the Creedmoor is more than adequate for anything that walks in the lower 48 except for large bears.

6.5 Creedmoor: A complete caliber profile | Backfire

Click image for larger version

Name:	Creedmoor 1.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	774177
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Creedmoor 2.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	774178

Comment

Hmmm, I was responding to Jimbo's other topic. It was an article about the '06 by Petzal.

Why 30-06 Ammo Is the Best Hunting Cartridge | Field & Stream (fieldandstream.com)
            This is what happens when I try to check in while on hold at work. Skimmed the article and didn’t read the last bit until getting home.

My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

This is what happens when I try to check in while on hold at work. Skimmed the article and didn’t read the last bit until getting home.

My bad.
              No worries, I should have been more clear. Working on some control design while checking F&S every so often.

Comment

I've got a one gun.
                AR15
                I've got one cartridge.
                6.8mm Rem SPC

Is it the "ultimate" cartridge?
                I dunno?
                But I'm happy with mine.

"Fie upon thee, all you 6.5 Creed shooters! May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits!" 😁

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  I've got a one gun.
                  AR15
                  I've got one cartridge.
                  6.8mm Rem SPC

Is it the "ultimate" cartridge?
                  I dunno?
                  But I'm happy with mine.

"Fie upon thee, all you 6.5 Creed shooters! May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits!" 😁
                  FirstBubba: The Elizabethan Oklahoman!

I haven't heard the word "Fie" since my high-school production of Macbeth. That was a great time -- we actually got to take real broadsword-fighting lessons. The kilt-wearing was a little weird but also wearing a broadsword or carrying a battle-axe made up for it.

(Man, I'm getting old -- lately, half my brain seems to always be in the past, all nostalgic).

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

FirstBubba: The Elizabethan Oklahoman!

I haven't heard the word "Fie" since my high-school production of Macbeth. That was a great time -- we actually got to take real broadsword-fighting lessons. The kilt-wearing was a little weird but also wearing a broadsword or carrying a battle-axe made up for it.

(Man, I'm getting old -- lately, half my brain seems to always be in the past, all nostalgic).
                    I've been called lot's of things.
                    An "Elizabethan Okie" ain't one of them! LMBO!

Comment

Well I guess I’m a fudd. I will stick with 25-06 and .270. Oh and the 30-30. I figure I’m covered for anything but grizzly bears. But then again I’ve got several 12 gauges than can run slugs. But I think what some have missed about the 6.5 is that it has caused gun makers and ammo makers and scope makers to up their game. Everyone wants moa accuracy. But advances in machining and manufacturing technology has helped. But it keep manufacturers on the edge of engineering and material designs. Just one hay seed thinking out loud.

Comment

In either case, everyone here knows the Creedmoor is more than adequate for anything that walks in the lower 48 except for large bears. {Large image not posted}

I like that chart PigHunter. However, I believe that you could substitute virtually any other commonly used hunting cartridge in place of the 6.5 CM in that chart. They all kill game (except for grizzleys) if the game is standing still at 50 yards.

I grew up on the prairie and about 75% of the varmints and game I took were on the dead run when I shot them. I learned at an early age that a projectile going over 3500 fps (4000 is better) makes a running shot a LOT more predictable. I certainly enjoy all my Creedmoors for long range target shooting and general hunting but there is NO way I will try to use a 6.5 CM on running game... just way too slow.

If I had to use one rifle for everything, it would be an 8 twist 25-06 Ackley Improved. The 130g-135g bullets do have some recoil (about like a .270) but would probably knock a grizzly down just fine at 3250 fps. A 75g going about 3950 is fun for varmints. The big 130g+ bullets shoot lights out for over a mile for interesting target shooting. A 100g bullet is all you need for deer out to 500 yards and at about 3600 fps you don't miss too many on the run and you can forget about your tracking skills because they will be laying where you shot them. This is a rifle that is truly multi-purpose. For any unique specialty, you might be able to find a slightly better cartridge but none can do them all as well as this. For example, for 1000 yard prairie dogs, I prefer the 6mm Creedmoor or even the 6mm Dasher for the same accuracy with much lower recoil... no bruised shoulder after 500 rounds each day. For elk, I prefer the .300 Dakota because it gives me range out to 1000 yards with unmatched precision and lots of knockdown overkill.
                        Last edited by DakotaMan; 06-24-2021, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                          ... it has caused gun makers and ammo makers and scope makers to up their game. Everyone wants moa accuracy...
                          Exactly Milldawg... most of the modern rifles chambered in 6.5 CM have a higher degree of precision in their manufacture and are therefore more accurate. In 2017, 17 rifle manufacturers introduced long range rifles chambered in 6.5 CM with the Ruger Precision Rifle dominating sales since that time by delivering .5 MOA precision at $1500 or less. In ensuing years since then, rifles like the Ruger American demonstrated that 1 MOA could be delivered reliably at a price point below $500. The cartridge is a good one for general hunting but the rifles that shoot it tend to be exceptional. Manufactures have learned something from this and I hope they continue to innovate... better rifles mean more sales and higher consumer satisfaction.

By the way... it has also enabled us to extend our EFFECTIVE range in hunting applications. I know most American hunters view 100-200 yards to be a long shot on deer after the last 100 years of experience; but with today's precision platforms, hunters can achieve the SAME level of precision at 500 yards or beyond with diligent practice.
                          Last edited by DakotaMan; 06-24-2021, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Yep, my Ruger American can consistently do sub MOA. I do running shots too, but at 60 yards or less and usually in woods. The 6.5 CM, .308 Win, and .30-06 are plenty fast for that. But I easily see your point about needing speed at longer ranges.

Comment

"... They all kill game (except for grizzleys) if the game is standing still at 50 yards. ..."

They will kill grizzly too. Just don't expect a griz to "drop at the shot"!
                              May take a bit for the desired result to kick in! LOL!
                              Check for tall, easily climbable, convenient trees nearby before attempting such heroics! 😀!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad