Savage 12ga semi-automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage 12ga semi-automatic

I watched a review of the Savage auto and he praised everything except it is not available in 26" and the 28" makes it noes heavy. What a winey. I think he should go work out.

A bit too pithy Jim, what auto and who did the review?

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
      A bit too pithy Jim, what auto and who did the review?
      Renegauge. Did you know Savage made Browning 5's for Browning ? 2" barrel difference is nothing unless you are a pip squeak. Blindfold someone and give them the loaded guns and they would never be able to tell the difference.

savage semi auto shotgun models - Bing

Comment

I'm not a real big Savage fan. I do like their older pump guns, doubles and single shots.

Strangely, back in the winter, I stumbled into a Savage Model 720.
        One beast of a gun.
        Savage started making them in 1939 for the Army to teach lead to aircraft gunners and pilots. They were later used to arm MP's for guard duty.
        Yes, it looked exactly like an A5, but I bet that hummer weighed 10 pounds.

If this "Renegauge" works, it's a great addition to a fine old brand.

Comment

Thanks Jim, first I’ve heard about this one.

I’m keeping an eye out for a utility 12 gauge auto but wouldn’t want to be first in line for this one. There are a lot of new firearms that have flopped the past few years, it makes you wonder even if you like a model how much product support will be available down the line if you have an issue.

Comment

Meet Renegauge

Comment

A Renegauge review

Comment

Savage Renegauge Field Semi-Auto Shotgun | Cabela's (cabelas.com)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Savage Renegauge.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	773561

Comment

Missed the MSRP, for that amount no thanks.

I think the industry is running out of decent names as well.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                    Missed the MSRP, for that amount no thanks.

I think the industry is running out of decent names as well.
                    Yep, just look at the names of rifle scopes……geez Louise.

Comment

fitch270- If I were looking for a utility 12 gauge auto, I would look hard at the Remington 1100, 1187, and the older Browning Auto 5s. These old war horses have been around for decades, and have worked fine since their introduction.
                      Another point in their favor, they seldom need any repair. My 1100 LH magnum has got about +/- 100,000 rounds fired, with one minor repair that took about 20 minutes.
                      My Father's Auto-5 16 gauge, I wouldn't know how to estimate. Also one minor repair, since 1949.
                      Also, there are a multitude of aftermarket parts, stocks, springs, and other parts available. Just be sure that what you are getting is manufactured before all the corporate fails, buy outs, restructuring, and swapping and changing.

Comment

CRM; A Rem V3 or 1100 has most of my interest but the present Remington situation and market in general is probably going to keep this on the back burner for awhile. Thing is I’m actually kind of low on wing shooting wares with the Kid being grown now. We can make due but there’s actually room in the safe for something that will get used regularly. Gives me an excuse to keep looking.

Comment

My vote goes to the V 3.

Did you know Savage made the Browning 5's for Browning ?
                          Last edited by jhjimbo; 06-14-2021, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad