Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here is an interesting take on our gun rights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is an interesting take on our gun rights.

America’s gun obsession is rooted in slavery.

https://news.yahoo.com/america-gun-o...100037108.html

PH -
    I suppose that you, as a descendant of the Confederacy, must feel obliged to adopt a very narrow-minded view of our history.
    Contrary opinions not welcome.

Comment

PH -
      I have a recollection of your posting your family history, boasting of ancestral service during the Civil War on the side of the South.
      Perhaps it was not you, but one of your like-thinkers.
      If so, I apologize for my mistake.

Comment

Any published opinion piece on the subject of gun control should be of interest to shooters everywhere, esp. on a forum such as this.

Comment

PH -
          You mentioned in post #5 that as far as you know, none of your ancestors were born during the Civil War, and so you were indeed not a descendant of the Confederacy.
          Would you be so kind as the elaborate on that?
          Your comments are amusing.

Comment

PH-
            It looks like we've touched on one of your blind spots.

"The Descendants of Confederate Veterans is open to male & female descendants of soldiers, sailors and government officials that served in the Confederate States of America. Join us in our effort to preserve and protect our southern heritage by honoring the memory of our ancestors that served the Confederate States of America."

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=de...Anews%2Cm%3Asb

Comment

PH -
              I don't believe you've even heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter

I was born in the USA within the later half of the 20th Century. The Confederacy ceased to exist in 1865. As far as I know, none of my ancestors were born during the War of Northern Aggression. So, I'm indeed not a descendant of the Confederacy and you have once again made a stupid statement.

Studying history is one of my hobbies so you are wrong, I do have a clear-eyed view.
                I'm quoting you here in case you decide to delete it.

Comment

I've heard that argument before. A reading of the letters and papers of the framers of the Constitution shows exactly why they included the 2A, it was a check on the powers of a tyrannical government.

As for the confederacy, what side you are on during a war is determined by where you are born.

Comment

Comment

Probably the slaves in the U.S. had a better life here than they would have had in the places they came from.

Comment

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
                        I've heard that argument before. A reading of the letters and papers of the framers of the Constitution shows exactly why they included the 2A, it was a check on the powers of a tyrannical government.

As for the confederacy, what side you are on during a war is determined by where you are born.
                        Not always determined by where you are born. No big argument, just a point of interest, but I do remember learning (maybe in school, maybe at a museum) that a number of Southern men did go North to join the Union.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Real Quiet
                          by 99explorer
                          GOP Reply:
                          What's that? One of Biden's drones killed seven children? Impeach his ass!
                          Today, 02:42 PM
                        • Real Quiet
                          by jhjimbo
                          Dosen't anybody have an original thought ?
                          Yesterday, 12:23 AM
                        • Reply to Real Quiet
                          by 99explorer
                          Biden is working on major reductions in the price of prescription drugs, starting with allowing Medicare to negotiate new prices with the pharmaceutical...
                          Today, 02:35 PM
                        • Reply to TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                          by fitch270
                          Home team is up 14-6.

Make that 20-6. PAT blocked.

33seconds left in the first half.
                          Today, 02:23 PM
                        • TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                          by fitch270
                          So I mentioned this last week, we’ve posted a few songs off soundtracks before but I think there’s loads of material left to cover. Not only are there...
                          09-16-2021, 11:01 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X