Finally put it together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally put it together

Got bored the other night. It takes up less space in the gun safe assembled than in bag and boxes. Did it all without a vise block or fancy assembly jigs. Have to redo the barrel nut waiting on an 1 1/8 crows foot. But you get the idea.
    Attached Files

Nice looking rifle there, 'dawg!
    How's she shoot?

How did you get the barrel nut torqued down without a vise block?

BTW! Congrats on a good looking build!

I use a vise block for barrel installation, but that's about all.
    I have picked up some assembly tools like the detent pin/spring on the front take down pin.
    I've made several of my own little tools.
    My old arthritic hands, I have a hard time getting the pin in the bolt release. So I figured out a pin that holds everything in place. As you drift the roll pin in place, it pushes the guide pin out.
    THEN...!
    The first 4 or 5 guns I assembled, I banged the daylights out of the left side of the lower driving the bolt release pin into place.
    I tried the blue painters tape. Meh.
    Still a ding or two, but better.
    Found a piece of clear plastic about the thickness of a playing card. No more scarred lowers.
    Use drill bit shanks to help start fire group pins. That helps.

Made a holder out of a well used plastic cutting board.
    It holds those little, tiny, roll pins until I can get them started.

Comment

Put the nut on and just bumped with a crescent wrench. I’m a mechanic for a living I’m paid to figure things out. 35-80 inch pounds is not a lot of torque. And I have very nice roll pin punches. I have most gunsmithing hand tools already just no specialty tools yet. I just happened to have a couple of uhmw 3/4 thick by 4x4 blocks laying around. So that helps. Haven’t shot it yet haven’t found a bcg or a charging handle I won’t pay what they are asking for them. May just pull them out of my pistol. I can’t make myself pay what they want for a brace it’s highway robbery. a little trick I found that helped tremendously was to take a small file and chamfer the edges of the roll pins a little. Putting the gas tube on the block was not going well until worked the end of the pin a little then things went smoothly same for forward assist and bolt catch. And standardized parts my arse. The handguard would fit my Anderson upper but would my aero. Had to use the small file to open it up .008. And the aero upper the ejection port cover rod is about .10 to long. My other handguard same brand fits but barely. Anyways it’s not done just out of room on the shelves in my safe. So I threw it together. I put all my ammo on one side since it’s gotten sky high. Never thought I’d fill a 50 gun safe in my life boy was I wrong. My has started calling it the place where things go to not be used. She doesn’t get it lol. Oh and I used an antique Stanley nylon faced hammer for assembly and started to use antique punches but thought better of it. I also have a set of watch makers punches some where going to try them on the next lower. Bought them at an auction for 5 bucks. Best 5 I can remember spending in a long time. Anyways I’m rambling I have high hopes for it accuracy wise the barrel to upper fit is very snug almost tight with no retaining compound. And the polished trigger with 3.5 pound springs is nice for an el cheap o . The nickel Teflon was out of stock. Waiting on the two sig sauer Romeo5 I ordered to show up now.

Comment

Nice job dawg. FYI, I got a tool that inserts from the rear into the back end of the barrel extension. You can lock it in a vise and torque the barrel nut to your heart's desire. It is also useful for installing and removing barrel extensions and muzzle brakes without twisting receivers.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
          Nice job dawg. FYI, I got a tool that inserts from the rear into the back end of the barrel extension. You can lock it in a vise and torque the barrel nut to your heart's desire. It is also useful for installing and removing barrel extensions and muzzle brakes without twisting receivers.
          Is it a bev block by magpul. I’ve been looking at getting all the proper tools. Just to make it quicker and easier.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• March 4th came and went. Nobody died!
            by labrador12
            Where was the revolution? MSNBC and Yahoo News called March 4th the end day. The horn head Neanderthals were supposed to come riding their mighty steeds...
            Today, 06:19 AM
          • Reply to South Dakota leads the way.
            by labrador12
            The virus didn't crush the American spirit, the government crushed the American spirit. Its legal to wear a mask, or even two, in South Dakota. People...
            Today, 05:35 AM
          • South Dakota leads the way.
            by labrador12
            South Dakota didn't lock down. South Dakota continued with open schools. South Dakota even held the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. South Dakota maintained...
            02-27-2021, 07:10 PM
          • Reply to New Things
            by PigHunter
            I'm going to re-join a hunting club (lease) that I was in for the 2018 / 2019 season. Decided against hunting in Ohio and will spend the money in-state...
            Today, 12:53 AM
          • New Things
            by MattM37
            Some interesting stories in the recent Fur-Fish-Game. Canoeing down rivers to hunt for wild boars, and stalking streambanks to hunt muskrats. Are...
            Yesterday, 07:14 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X