Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ups truck stopped by.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ups truck stopped by.

    Well have all of my parts except a hand guard for the at-15 carbine I’m building so I thought what the heck. Still waiting on optics planet for the handguard never ever again will order from them. Anyways sat down to start upper assembly since stripped was all I could by. Laid my parts out started to pick them for dust cover assembly. Only then did I notice I was missing the c-clip for the rod. Man alive what heart breaker. Just threw my whole groove off. So send an email and wait two days for a 1 penny part. And my wife wonders why I have multiples and extra of everything. If I ever get back to it I will post pictures. Anderson upper and lower nbs barrel. Barrel to upper fit is amazing. Anyways someday I will get it done.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
    Well have all of my parts except a hand guard for the at-15 carbine I’m building so I thought what the heck. Still waiting on optics planet for the handguard never ever again will order from them. Anyways sat down to start upper assembly since stripped was all I could by. Laid my parts out started to pick them for dust cover assembly. Only then did I notice I was missing the c-clip for the rod. Man alive what heart breaker. Just threw my whole groove off. So send an email and wait two days for a 1 penny part. And my wife wonders why I have multiples and extra of everything. If I ever get back to it I will post pictures. Anderson upper and lower nbs barrel. Barrel to upper fit is amazing. Anyways someday I will get it done.
    'dawg, do you have a reciever squaring tool?
    Think I'll try to get one before my next build! That is if Biden let's us have parts! LOL!

    I dropped that goofy little "C" clip in my shop! Could NOT find it!
    Walked in the house and ordered 5!
    My big old clubby fingers, I find them hard to handle.
    Went BACK out to the shop, noticed a "mechanics magnet" on a stick!
    In about 10 minutes, I had that hummer together.
    I bought one of those stainless "parts bowl" with the big magnet in the bottom.
    Drop that "C" clip in that bowl and it magically stands up! Then just press the rod into the clip.

    Comment


    • #3
      I don’t have the squaring tool. I figure the cnc machine that the upper was turned out on can do a better job than I can by hand or with a 99 dollar drill press. I tend to think that buying quality uppers that shouldn’t be a problem. But i could be wrong.

      Comment


      • #4
        'dawg,
        I don't have the tool nor have I ever "squared" any of my uppers.
        Maybe I should get a tool and go back and square my 3 AR uppers!
        It can't hurt anything. 🤔!

        I stumbled into this over on "68forums". Those guys aren't quacks, but are mill wrights, machinists, engineers and they are constantly buggering with their AR's. One of them is supposedly a NASA rocket scientist. (some sort of physicist?)
        Adjustable gas blocks
        Short bbl rifles
        Over gassed
        Undergassed
        Making (drilling/boring) barrel gas port larger!
        They make assembling an AR about as easy as Chinese arithmetic!
        I've assembled in the neighborhood of 15 AR's.
        NEVER have I had a failure to Feed, Fire and Function that wasn't something I did wrong.
        Wrong buffer. (AR10)
        Gas block not properly seated.
        Short gas tube
        etc,

        https://www.bexararms.net/blog/receiver-face-squaring/

        https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006923823
        Last edited by FirstBubba; 01-18-2021, 02:22 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Exactly what I worried about I figure I will worry myself to death and make it worse. Hope my first answer didn’t seem to terse. Wasn’t the intent.
          Last edited by Milldawg; 01-18-2021, 08:50 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
            Exactly what I worried about I figure I will worry myself to death and make it worse. Hope my first answer didn’t seem to terse. Wasn’t the intent.
            No sir. Never took it that way. We be good! 😀!

            Comment


            • #7
              BTW 'dawg, do you lube the threads on the upper the bbl nut screws onto?
              I didn't until my 3rd build. First 2 were poly lowers (ugh!).
              I've got an old container of plain Jane old axle grease. Just enough to kinda coat the threads so they won't "seize".

              Another thing those guys on 68forums do!
              They use "Lok-Tite" to "seal" the gas block!?
              Best I can tell, you get the screws nice and tight* on the gas block, that sucker WILL be sealed.

              * - my fil used to say, "Cleverly tight!"
              You don't want to pop screws in two, but you don't want screws handy tight either.

              Comment


              • #8
                Aero shell 64 moly grease for barrel nut. And 620 retaining compound for barrel extension. Dont seal the gas block. I don’t feel that any loctite would stand up to the extreme heat of powder burning and just make a mess. I only use aero gas blocks. Quality and a great price. I’m taking my pistol back apart and putting on the aero lower I have and using Anderson lower and upper together. Also bought flat wire buffer springs. I can’t help myself I’m going make my self crazy chasing accuracy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  BTW 'dawg, do you lube the threads on the upper the bbl nut screws onto?
                  I didn't until my 3rd build. First 2 were poly lowers (ugh!).
                  I've got an old container of plain Jane old axle grease. Just enough to kinda coat the threads so they won't "seize".

                  Another thing those guys on 68forums do!
                  They use "Lok-Tite" to "seal" the gas block!?
                  Best I can tell, you get the screws nice and tight* on the gas block, that sucker WILL be sealed.

                  * - my fil used to say, "Cleverly tight!"
                  You don't want to pop screws in two, but you don't want screws handy tight either.
                  Also probably going to get some hollow chrome knurled set screws. Bet set screws I’ve ever used. Use them at work.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Milldawg View Post

                    Also probably going to get some hollow chrome knurled set screws. Bet set screws I’ve ever used. Use them at work.
                    For your gas block?
                    I've got both the set screw type gas block and the split, clamp type gas block.
                    I've never had problems with either type "leaking".

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

                      For your gas block?
                      I've got both the set screw type gas block and the split, clamp type gas block.
                      I've never had problems with either type "leaking".
                      Yes for the gas block. I’m not so much worried about leaks I never want one to ever come loose. I’m building these rifles to be a duty grade rifle/pistol. I wouldn’t be happy with them if I didn’t go all the way from the get go.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Milldawg View Post

                        Yes for the gas block. I’m not so much worried about leaks I never want one to ever come loose. I’m building these rifles to be a duty grade rifle/pistol. I wouldn’t be happy with them if I didn’t go all the way from the get go.
                        Gotcha!
                        I think the guys on the 68forums are seeking bench rest, anal accuracy. That's not a AR platform. That's the bolt rifle platform.
                        It's not that an AR can't be built "benchrest" accurate, that's not what the AR is designed for.

                        Yeah 'dawg, I want my AR's as accurate as possible, but I'm also ok with 1"-1.5" groups at hunting ranges.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          1-1 1/2 would be acceptable but realizability and durability are just as important for me. I’m building these two and refining my process. After that I’m starting on rifles for all of grandchildren and children and my wife. I have eight to build. My wife though I was crazy until 6th of January. Her view has changed drastically.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Here you go 'dawg!

                            Tough to beat a deal like this!
                            Caught them at this price years ago. Bought 3!

                            https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...lower-receiver

                            Comment

                            Welcome!

                            Collapse

                            Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                            If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                            And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                            Right Rail 1

                            Collapse

                            Top Active Users

                            Collapse

                            There are no top active users.

                            Right Rail 2

                            Collapse

                            Latest Topics

                            Collapse

                            Right Rail 3

                            Collapse

                            Footer Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X