No announcement yet.

Wow I’m getting old.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"... Call it old fart's syndrome. Think I know somebody else that has that. ..."

LOL! ...and who would THAT be? 😉!

First AR15 I actually touched came into our shop in '78.
    Brand spanking new Colt!
    Carry handle, fixed stock, the whole nine yards.

Had no desire to either shoot OR own one. Useless!

Sometime between '05 and '10, my eldest bought a DPMS AR. It was kept at my home, safe in it's DPMS "Panther" case, tucked under a bed for about 2 years.
    I found it one day, called the kid and asked if I could shoot it. Go for it.
    I piddled with it a couple of times. I had a scope laying around, so asked if I could mount a scope on it. Sure!
    The more I played with it, the more I liked it.
    It got sold.
    Youngest bought two poly lowers. "Why?"
    "One for you, one for me!"
    About 6 weeks later.
    "Dad, I've been reassigned. I'm not going to have time to finish either AR. You're going to have to build both of them."
    "Huh? But...but...but...!"
    "YouTube, dad. YouTube!"

I'm now a convert.
    Got tired of the 5 56/.223 peashooter. I'm now a 6.8mm convert.

They aren't for everybody, but there are getting to be more and more AR aficionados out there.
    The AR is becoming more and more capable as a MSR and viable "deer" option.

And...!

"You talkin' to me!"

LOL!

​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      "... Call it old fart's syndrome. Think I know somebody else that has that. ..."

LOL! ...and who would THAT be? 😉!

First AR15 I actually touched came into our shop in '78.
      Brand spanking new Colt!
      Carry handle, fixed stock, the whole nine yards.

Had no desire to either shoot OR own one. Useless!

Sometime between '05 and '10, my eldest bought a DPMS AR. It was kept at my home, safe in it's DPMS "Panther" case, tucked under a bed for about 2 years.
      I found it one day, called the kid and asked if I could shoot it. Go for it.
      I piddled with it a couple of times. I had a scope laying around, so asked if I could mount a scope on it. Sure!
      The more I played with it, the more I liked it.
      It got sold.
      Youngest bought two poly lowers. "Why?"
      "One for you, one for me!"
      About 6 weeks later.
      "Dad, I've been reassigned. I'm not going to have time to finish either AR. You're going to have to build both of them."
      "Huh? But...but...but...!"
      "YouTube, dad. YouTube!"

I'm now a convert.
      Got tired of the 5 56/.223 peashooter. I'm now a 6.8mm convert.

They aren't for everybody, but there are getting to be more and more AR aficionados out there.
      The AR is becoming more and more capable as a MSR and viable "deer" option.

And...!

"You talkin' to me!"

LOL!
      Yeah I hear ya! I putting together a parts list for a carbine ar now. Have a 20” competition rifle and I don’t shoot completion. But I figure I need a 16” barreled upper.

Comment

I've enjoyed many a DEP article over the years. I just turned 73 Christmas day so I qualify as a curmudgeon too I suspect. I still like wooden stocks and treasure old firearms but I still like pushing the envelope more than most to see what a firearm can do. I've had ARs since we could get them and am having fun testing a personally designed version of a 6mm AR - like cartridge chambered in an AR barrel I made from an old 6mm Creedmoor takeoff. It may be my favorite AR chambering. I've had great fun with my ARs target shooting and p-dog shooting over the years. My favorite is still testing various rifles at 1000 yards and of course I keep trying to build the most accurate rifle in the world and keep getting closer every month. Two of my most recent builds finished in first and second place in the latest NRA SE Regional F-TR class at 600 yards.

DEP is really not into this tinkering with rifles but he has been what I consider a consummate hunter providing solid advice and great stories for many years. I appreciate that too.

Comment

Shot the original M-16 in 1967 as well as the M-1carbine. Never cared to have an AR but bought two Rugers - a Ranch Rifle and a Ruger - 30 and they turned out to be a couple of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
            I also enjoy D.E.P.'s writing. Not many others can quote Nash Buckingham and William Shakespeare.

Have you read any of Gene Hill's work? Dave was an editor for F&S when Hill was contributing and polished his work. I pull out a copy of his work to reread now and then.
            Yes, Petzal has mentioned several times, in various blogs and columns, that Gene Hill's work needed a lot of editing. Frankly, much as I like Petzal and have learned a lot from him, I've always thought it kind of odd how often he mentions that. You wouldn't suspect him of being envious or needing to stake his claim on some of the credit for Gene Hill's popularity -- but it kind of seems like he's doing that, and it always rubs me the wrong way. (Possibly because I am, in fact, a big Gene Hill fan). It's just not necessary; some writers need more editing than others, and the editors are there to edit; why bring it up so often? Further, Hill's work was so appealing because of his sentiments, observations, decency, and general "good guy" quality -- not because he was or ever claimed to be any kind of wordsmith. Just sort of unprofessional for an editor to do that publicly, in my opinion. I

But from the writings of both, it does sound like the two men were friends, so who am I to say? Like I said, it's just something that always stuck out to me.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              While not exactly new to writing Will Brantley is about as old school cool as a younger guy can be. It’s a shame his talent doesn’t have the opportunity to be showcased as often as it should be.

Lately I’ve been following John Barsness quite a bit, mostly due to his participation on 24hr Campfire. He knows his stuff and has his own style but tends to be more technically oriented than entertaining from what I’ve seen in article type writing. I haven’t actually had my hands on any of his books though.
              Mr. Barsness wrote one of my all-time favorite stories, "A Hunter's Story" in the Dec.02-Jan.03 issue with the "5 Best Hunting Stories" feature. The other four are good ones by DEP, Corey Ford, Keith McCafferty, and Ted Trueblood. (I think the McCafferty one is as good as Barsness's).
              https://books.google.com/books?id=od...202003&f=false

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Mr. Barsness wrote one of my all-time favorite stories, "A Hunter's Story" in the Dec.02-Jan.03 issue with the "5 Best Hunting Stories" feature. The other four are good ones by DEP, Corey Ford, Keith McCafferty, and Ted Trueblood. (I think the McCafferty one is as good as Barsness's).
                https://books.google.com/books?id=od...202003&f=false
                Well lookie at what I just found!

Click image for larger version

Name:	FE942E79-AAF6-48FD-B390-C8FB43C2322D.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	4.16 MB
ID:	764903

I clicked on the link and remembered that cover, I have a small collection of favorite back issues down in the man cave and sure enough kept that one. Just for those stories I’ll bet.

Thanks for the heads up Matt. Only downside is I just pulled out a copy of “The Best of Jack O’Connor” two nights ago and now I’ll be sidetracked with old F&S articles. It’s ok, looks like a long winter ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

If you like Gene Hill, you will also like Lewis Grizzard.
                  His "short story" genre is just like Hill's except it's about life instead of hunting.
                  Try his book, "Kathy Sue Loudermilk, I love you!"
                  Well, I've read a little of his writing. About a quarter of the way through the book and I like his style but the topic is very localised. I do share his dislike of Chicago.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post

Well, I've read a little of his writing. About a quarter of the way through the book and I like his style but the topic is very localised. I do share his dislike of Chicago.
                    Yes, he's a bit of a "southerner", but I still liked his stories.

Comment

He is by far the easiest to read. And appears to be a gentleman of the highest kind. If anyone knows someone else I should try reading I would be great full. Thanks. Nox Vidmate VLC
                      Last edited by EVAKATY75; 01-18-2021, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad