Wow I’m getting old.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow I’m getting old.

Well I’ve noticed that the great one D.P. Is not writing much rifle stuff anymore. He has earned the right to retire in my opinion. But I realized he’s been writing about it since before I was born. I attended the school of Petzel. It just seems kind of weird to read the other writers trying to fill the gap. I would say he’s the last of the old guard. Kind of dawned on me sitting here eating dinner after assembling the grand kids presents. Just wondering if I’m the only one who feels this way. What I will say is thank goodness for the internet you can look up much of his writings. He is by far the easiest to read. And appears to be a gentleman of the highest kind. If anyone knows someone else I should try reading I would be great full. Thanks.

I also enjoy D.E.P.'s writing. Not many others can quote Nash Buckingham and William Shakespeare.

Have you read any of Gene Hill's work? Dave was an editor for F&S when Hill was contributing and polished his work. I pull out a copy of his work to reread now and then.

Comment

Yes sir! I "AM" old!
      EVERY shooting writer I grew up idolizing is G-O-N-E! Goodbye!
      O'Connor, Carmichael, Page, Skelton, etc, etc!
      Yep, Petzal is pretty much the last "gun guru curmudgeon"! LOL!

Soon, you'll see another emerge as the next generation begins to hone their writing skills, but I'd get ready for more "MSR" talk that will turn off most old heads around here who (as is normal) resist change from blued steel and walnut.
      Most of them lost their minds over stainless/synthetic rifles.
      MSR's?
      OMG!
      I guess I'm about the oldest (70) AR aficionado around. Some older have one, but don't/won't hunt with them. Generally a fall back to their military days. They see them merely as a home defense tool.

Oh well! It will be interesting to see who pops up!

....and, "Yeah.", you're getting older! LOL!
      Think about it! Beats the alternative!

BTW! Merry CHRISTmas milldawg! Wish I had little ones around to assemble gifts for!

Comment

Thank goodness for books! Have a full case of classic outdoor writers. I find the Internet, especially YouTube, very useful for the technical/ home gunsmith types of things but to take me back to the best of memories their stories are as good as any picture.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
          I also enjoy D.E.P.'s writing. Not many others can quote Nash Buckingham and William Shakespeare.

Have you read any of Gene Hill's work? Dave was an editor for F&S when Hill was contributing and polished his work. I pull out a copy of his work to reread now and then.
          If you like Gene Hill, you will also like Lewis Grizzard.
          His "short story" genre is just like Hill's except it's about life instead of hunting.
          Try his book, "Kathy Sue Loudermilk, I love you!"

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

If you like Gene Hill, you will also like Lewis Grizzard.
            His "short story" genre is just like Hill's except it's about life instead of hunting.
            Try his book, "Kathy Sue Loudermilk, I love you!"
            I'll give it a try.

Comment

First Bubba I am one of the older ones (74) who dislikes reading about the MPR's and 6.5's. I know they are different now but I left my AR in Danang, Vietnam in 1970 and have had no desire to own one since.

Comment

I enjoy the older writers.
                I also enjoy the younger shooters, who are out there, and simply plowing new ground with all kinds of weapons. I enjoy their proven information, even if it is not polished.
                I like the older style and I like the immediate information I get from some of the best shooters in the world.

Comment

While not exactly new to writing Will Brantley is about as old school cool as a younger guy can be. It’s a shame his talent doesn’t have the opportunity to be showcased as often as it should be.

Lately I’ve been following John Barsness quite a bit, mostly due to his participation on 24hr Campfire. He knows his stuff and has his own style but tends to be more technically oriented than entertaining from what I’ve seen in article type writing. I haven’t actually had my hands on any of his books though.

Comment

John is a nice guy

Comment

I like DEP, and I hope his writing hiatus is due to the changeover at F&S and not due to a shakeup in the lineup or the new owners bringing in "new blood." If I may be allowed a small bit of personal brag, I actually had one of my comment/questions answered by the eminent Doktor Petzal in one of his "Ask Petzal" printed columns.
                      If DEP has been subjected to the indignity of being victimized by a corporate shake up, we can all hope that he will emerge again with another outdoor publication.
                      Pssst- FFG seems to really need someone to write the Gun Rack column since the unexplained absence of Mr. Ed Hall. The new writer's stuff is about as anemic as a bill heavey article.
                      As to the ARs, I just don't see ever being so desperate for a firearm that I need an AR to tote to the deer woods, squirrel timber or even varmint hunting. I have one, assembled it myself, know it frontards and backards, but just can't work up any affection for the dern thing. I will stick to my Old Ugly '06 until that time that I can't stick no more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	petzal_stag.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	764757

Comment

Beautiful Stag

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
                          First Bubba I am one of the older ones (74) who dislikes reading about the MPR's and 6.5's. I know they are different now but I left my AR in Danang, Vietnam in 1970 and have had no desire to own one since.
                          Sarge01, that's quite alright sir and thank you for your service.
                          But just like every other war (?), quite a few of the returning soldiers picked up the arms they were familiar with once they leave the military.
                          ...and I'm sure some put them down and never want to walk that road again...and that's okay too!
                          Merry CHRISTmas to you and yours sir.

Comment

From #1 Bubba: "But just like every other war (?), quite a few of the returning soldiers picked up the arms they were familiar with once they leave the military.
                            ...and I'm sure some put them down and never want to walk that road again...and that's okay too!"

Yep, can't argue with that, Bubba, about the '03s, .30 cal carbines, (My Father was a big fan), 8mm Mausers (Dad brought home two), M1 Garands, even the M14s.
                            But, and this is a huge BUT, the M16 E1s, A1s and the CAR 15 had serious, and I mean serious, reliability issues. They were and are a very high maintenance weapon compared to the previously mentioned rifles, and a lot of Viet Nam era service people cannot overcome this prejudice. I have talked to veterans of more recent conflicts that say a lot of these issues have been resolved with the M4, and I am very glad for those that are still serving.
                            However, as a hunting weapon? No thanks. Call it old fart's syndrome. Think I know somebody else that has that.

Comment

Milldawg - try Wayne Van Zwoll. He is a very good writer and has hundreds of articles published, along with many good books. His values align with many conservative hunters who believe ethics rule and beautiful wood-stocked rifles should be treasured. I really enjoy his work, his practical side, and his storytelling.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad