Recoil pads revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recoil pads revisited

When I was redoing the base/ring & swivel setup on the old '06 yesterday my pal sitting there with me asked if I was going to add a recoil pad. Probably not I said to which he pointed out my other rifles and shotguns had one. True but, the recoil pad on many of my rifles is in name only, the reduction more psychological then real. More like hard rubber door stops. My vented pads on my shotguns are a different tune. So centerfires only, excluding the 22 centerfires, are all your rifles padded? And are they nice soft giving pads? Does it matter?

Sunday morning and I’m going through rifles because you got me thinking about this. Here is what I came up with, all are current hunting rifles and are 25 cal and above. 5 have hard butt plates , of the 5, 4 are my main hunting go to rifles. 2 have hard recoil pads , I would say that they are no more effective than hard but plates. 6 have recoil pads of various softness. I imagine they all would be different in effect on recoil. I don’t want a carry rifle in the field with a recoil pad because in a quick shot situation I feel they get hung up when shouldering. A stand rifle or ambush rifle I don’t think is as important and I don’t think it hurts anything .

To answer your question in the field it doesn’t matter at all to me. As I look at these rifles my favorites are all hard buttplates 760, 7600, 70 win and 700 rem,. On the bench however the recoil pads do help to manage recoil and I don’t think that psychological. Hunting how many shots am I going to take, hopefully one so recoil means nothing . Where I hunt it’s cold during the season heavy coats help absorb recoil and can catch on recoil pads. For me is a hard no on recoil pads on my hunting rifle. Good stuff Dewman very thought provoking.

Comment

I had a recoil pad added to my T/C Renegade. Just couldn't handle that blued steel butt plate.
      That's the only firearm I ever added a recoil pad to.
      Everything else came with pad already installed.
      I did have a .22 rifle once that had a thin-line rifle pad added. Best I could figure is a previous owner broke the original hard plastic butt plate and just had the thin pad put on.

Comment

I have slip on recoil pads added to the factory recoil pads on my shotguns because I need the extra LOP (length of pull) for proper fit. I have tried them all and find Pachmayer Decelerator is best. Limbsaver is way too soft and won't stay put. Also there is a point of diminishing returns with recoil softening. O/U shotguns with inertia triggers will fail to cock for second barrel if there's not enough recoil. Some autos won't cycle properly if too much recoil reduction. I have encountered both issues.

My Springfield has a thin rubber sort of recoil pad. Best that can be said for it is the gun stays put when set against something with butt on the floor. A box of shells at the rifle range will leave me bruised. Six boxes at the shotgun range and I'm fine.

Comment

PMACC60: The few times I've had a stock get caught on my clothes it happened on a quick flush and my coat/ vest were too loose on me. I like a loose fit when l'm hunting around briars.
          FB: Are the pads on yours soft or hard?
          OHH: Never had a limbsaver so I can't comment on them but I always get Pachmayrs when I buy one and have been happy with all I've purchased.

Comment

Yes, a pad matters to me on some firearms. I have a slip-on Limbsaver for the .45-70 single-shot and installed a fixed Limbsaver on the .308 that PigHuntress uses. Of course the military rifles all have metal butplates and the rest have whatever the factory installed.

Years ago, I checked several styles of slugs through the 870 in an extended range session and my shoulder was bruised for two weeks. I've done almost as bad with the M1 Garand after a long range session. In the field I don't worry about. But at the range I started using a shoulder pad. That helped a couple of days ago when I shot 50 rounds through my .308 trying to find a new load.

PAST Super Mag Plus Recoil Pad Shield Ambidextrous
            https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002531259?pid=699899

Caldwell Ambidextrous Shooting Recoil Shields
            https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Plus...s%2C174&sr=8-2

PigHuntress sometimes wears a hidden recoil pad when taking her 20 gauge squirrel hunting.
            https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Comf...s%2C174&sr=8-6

Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
              PMACC60: The few times I've had a stock get caught on my clothes it happened on a quick flush and my coat/ vest were too loose on me. I like a loose fit when l'm hunting around briars.
              FB: Are the pads on yours soft or hard?
              OHH: Never had a limbsaver so I can't comment on them but I always get Pachmayrs when I buy one and have been happy with all I've purchased.
              PMACC: Pachmayer had you in mind. The Decelerator has a hard rubber insert at the top corner so it slides into shoulder pocket without getting caught in clothing. I shoot my shotguns low gun at skeet and clays and have no problem getting the Decelerator mounted quickly and correctly. I DO NOT like baggy shooting clothing for exactly the reason you described. Been there, fought that. I choose a medium upland vest so it is snug and out of the way (typically wear size large). Replaced the zipper with a two way one so I can unzip from the bottom when the game bag in back becomes full. It works great. Actually, I don't think a hard butt plate is any less inclined to get caught up in loose clothing. I had a lot of trouble with my hard butt plate Light Twelve and Cabelas loose fitting waterfowl wading jacket.

Comment

Yeah, dewman. Everything I've got is the "ventilated" inch thick(?) pad.
                I forgot, I bought my wife a shotgun that had a LOP waaaaay too long.
                Even if it was a 20 ga semi auto, I went ahead and took the extra inch off to add a recoil pad. Just made it that much more comfortable for her to shoot.
                I have an "Elsie" that was supposedly made in 1904. It has the ventilated recoil pad.
                I have "NO" idea when the pad was installed. My great uncle gifted it to me and told me it had been back to Lefevre for repairs at some point. Maybe then? I just don't know!
                But I do know this, that pad is beginning to, uhhmmm, show it's age?! LOL!

Comment

PH: 50 rounds of test loads. Anything worth posting about?

Comment

Before Pmacc had posted I started to answer this early on but the wife wasn't going to let us be late to church, lol.

I had a Pachmayr Decelerator installed on my .270 BDL after about two range sessions totaling about ten rounds with just a T-shirt on. Being skin and bone I've never really understood the whole "it's more of a shove than a kick" theory, it's not so much the hit of recoil that gets me as it is the bite of a hard butt plate on my scrawny frame. The kid found this out last summer shooting my old .243, he was surprised it had more sting than his 7-08 which has a B&C stock with a Decelerator. Dave Petzal has written that people built like a fire plug take more punishment than those who can roll with the momentum, but having little muscle means getting a wicked pinch without some type of padding either on the gun or from clothing.

I had to look as well, turns out for centerfires, muzzleloaders and shotguns it's about 50/50 soft pads to hard pads or butt plates. Kind of split even among hard vs soft kickers as well. Not surprisingly the guns that get the most rounds shot through them generally have softer pads.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                      Before Pmacc had posted I started to answer this early on but the wife wasn't going to let us be late to church, lol.

I had a Pachmayr Decelerator installed on my .270 BDL after about two range sessions totaling about ten rounds with just a T-shirt on. Being skin and bone I've never really understood the whole "it's more of a shove than a kick" theory, it's not so much the hit of recoil that gets me as it is the bite of a hard butt plate on my scrawny frame. The kid found this out last summer shooting my old .243, he was surprised it had more sting than his 7-08 which has a B&C stock with a Decelerator. Dave Petzal has written that people built like a fire plug take more punishment than those who can roll with the momentum, but having little muscle means getting a wicked pinch without some type of padding either on the gun or from clothing.

I had to look as well, turns out for centerfires, muzzleloaders and shotguns it's about 50/50 soft pads to hard pads or butt plates. Kind of split even among hard vs soft kickers as well. Not surprisingly the guns that get the most rounds shot through them generally have softer pads.
                      You have church? A couple of weeks ago the province gave the go ahead for churches to reopen but only for maximum attendance at 30% building capacity. Our diocese said no. Too many elderly in the congregations. Our congregants kept in touch via weekly Zoom conferencing. Wish I'd invested in some of that outfit's stock!

Coincidentally, I bought another slip on pad today. Last fall the Pachmayer Decelerator on my big A5 slipped off while I was pheasant hunting. They copied the Limbsaver's easy-on design. Problem is they are both easy off too! I should have had it secured with duct tape (a must with squirrely Limbsaver - see attached). I had an old Butler Creek one that I've been making do at the range but it's way too big and even with tape it moves around. The local gunshop has had a medium Decelerator on backorder for me since the lockdown. In Canadian Tire today (it's our big box hardware & sporting goods chain) I saw a size medium Decelerator/Limbsaver clone from a company called Allen. For only eight bucks it was worth a try. Fits very well and not at all shifty. The sleeve doesn't have the easy-on/off cutaway that the other two have and rubber is soft and grippy. It should stay put. Sleeve is also short enough so it doesn't interfere with sling swivel (Butler Creek is very long which required removing sling stud or the sleeve gets torn).

Click image for larger version  Name:	1129181400.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.67 MB ID:	741595
                      Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-09-2020, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

You have church? A couple of weeks ago the province gave the go ahead for churches to reopen but only for maximum attendance at 30% building capacity. Our diocese said no. Too many elderly in the congregations. Our congregants kept in touch via weekly Zoom conferencing. Wish I'd invested in some of that outfit's stock!

Coincidentally, I bought another slip on pad today. Last fall the Pachmayer Decelerator on my big A5 slipped off while I was pheasant hunting. They copied the Limbsaver's easy-on design. Problem is they are both easy off too! I should have had it secured with duct tape (a must with squirrely Limbsaver - see attached). I had an old Butler Creek one that I've been making do at the range but it's way too big and even with tape it moves around. The local gunshop has had a medium Decelerator on backorder for me since the lockdown. In Canadian Tire today (it's our big box hardware & sporting goods chain) I saw a size medium Decelerator/Limbsaver clone from a company called Allen. For only eight bucks it was worth a try. Fits very well and not at all shifty. The sleeve doesn't have the easy-on/off cutaway that the other two have and rubber is soft and grippy. It should stay put. Sleeve is also short enough so it doesn't interfere with sling swivel (Butler Creek is very long which required removing sling stud or the sleeve gets torn).

Click image for larger version Name:	1129181400.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.67 MB ID:	741595
                        Yep, have to run at 25% capacity, masks and 6’ spacing of non households. Been about a month now.

Have you tried the Allen Pad yet? I may need something for my daughter’s .22 to increase lop. If they make a smaller size that might be just the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                          PH: 50 rounds of test loads. Anything worth posting about?
                          Yes, I had one combination stand out. It was with the Barnes 150gr TSX BT. It produced 1 MOA three shot groups and that is great for my Remington 788. I used 46.0gr of 4064 with CCI 200 primers and the average velocity measured 2788 fps. I probably need to make a new topic to discuss some of the other findings. Needless to say, I think I've got a new hunting load for that rifle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Barnes 30347.JPG Views:	0 Size:	7.9 KB ID:	741602
                          Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Yep, have to run at 25% capacity, masks and 6’ spacing of non households. Been about a month now.

Have you tried the Allen Pad yet? I may need something for my daughter’s .22 to increase lop. If they make a smaller size that might be just the ticket.
                            Here in OK, no restrictions on church.
                            No masks.
                            No max cap'y.
                            I walked into WM w/o a mask. Never a word.
                            Restaurants open!

160k dead out of a population of 360 million?
                            What are the odds?

Comment

I suspect if Allen makes them in medium, they make small as well. Actually the medium seems small to me. Measure the length of butt plate and let me know. I'll check if Amazon sells them. I was quite surprised at quality of this one, especially for eight bucks (less than $7 US). The Butler Creek pads are much inferior. Don't expect I will notice any difference in recoil. I don't pay much attention to that. I'm too busy focused on moving targets. However, shooting paper from a bench it's hard not to notice. For me the slip-on is for length not recoil reduction.

Edit: Yes, sold on Amazon for twelve bucks US or buy direct from byallen.com for same price. The company website is definitely worth the visit. Lots of cool stuff, especially for tree stand crowd, at great prices.
                              Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-09-2020, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad