scope/red dot wrenches for rings/bases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scope/red dot wrenches for rings/bases

Getting quite a collection of wrenches. I'd say I've thrown this many away,keep smaller sizes that come in the package for adjustments with the red dot/reflex where needed with the sight. (along with extra batteries)What's accumulating on your gun/reloading bench? Just a Monday type of question. Got all my private ground permission slips yesterday. You guys have all yours? Dove opener looming ahead you know. We have 11 farms total, 4 exclusive for the 3 of us. Squirrels will be hammering hickories in a couple weeks, hoping for cool mornings. Bugs still bad. Streams cloudy still, fishing mediocre unless your drowning crickets for bluegills. Stay safe Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1779.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	741031

I've got a small drawer in my tool bin for most of those wrenches. The ones for my muzzleloaders are kept in a large plastic tool box with the other front loader items. Those for reloading dies stay in the die boxes.

Right now, my reloading bench is covered with boxes of prepped .308 and .30-06 brass, containers of powder, boxes of bullets, calipers, and scales.

In Alabama, I hunt public land and have never pursued getting permission to hunt private. My Kentucky hunt is totally paid for. In Kentucky, I'll primarily hunt deer with the crossbow but will take the old vertical bow for turkey. I still need to get my out of state license.
    Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Yeah, no, I never toss those things.
      Like y'all, I've got a box full of those things.
      When I buy any AR "pieces/parts", I hang on to extra screws, pins, washers, etc, etc that may accompany the part.
      Many times, I've been able to dig back through my "pieces/parts" box and came out with either the proper piece or something that could be easily adapted to work.

I took the scope off my PH .270.
      One of the screws was beyond redemption. I didn't have a match for the other 3.
      I had four 6×48 screws, but the head was too big for the old Leupold rings.
      Broke out the cordless drill, chucked the screws and turned them down with a fine file until they would fit.
      A little BC "Tru-Blu" and they looked like they were factory.

Comment

Being that I’ve been mechanic/millwright for over 20 years I don’t keep many of them. I have full sets of bits and wrench sets in my toolbox. And I bought one of those master gunsmithing but sets I keep that and in-lbs torque wrench in the house with gun stuff. I have one for my rings and bases in my hunting pack same size for both fasteners. And I keep a gunsmithing set in the truck all year long. 30 pieces or something like that. I’ve only used it once in all these years. Anyways rambling away.

Comment

They do accumulate. I have put together a variety of all I need for any firearm and keep it in my back pack. I do mark the metric wrenches with blaze paint or wrap with blaze orange duct tape - tape also helps hold on to the smaller wrenches. I use driver tips from Brownells, slotted, phillips, torx, etc. High quality stuff.
          PH, Only ONE type of powder on the bench at any time. Never leave a canister open for even a minute. Two things, the aromatic hydrocarbons will evaporate rapidly and reduce the energy of the powder and also, the humidity will contaminate the powder.
          No oil within 6' of primers on the bench (load bench distancing). Wash you hands before handling them.
          Inch lbs ratchet is important for Weatherby rifles as they have a multi step procedure to install a stock.

Comment

I keep a couple on my gun vise but rarely use them as I have a Wheeler set and Fat Wrench. All the rest end up in a slot of a two tray Plano tackle box that I use to keep smaller gun cleaning stuff. No idea why I keep them all.

What I’d like to do is figure out a few lengths of the more common Torx head screws used for rings and mounts then order a bunch to replace as many Allen heads as possible, both currently and in the future.

What takes up room under the bench are all the boxes and packaging for scopes, dots, rings, etc. All the extra parts and pieces to such things stay in the box for easy retrieval if needed. I also thinks it helps to have the original box for selling stuff that doesn’t meet expectations.

Comment

Fitch270: there were times I wished I'd kept the boxes. Still don't for long, guess I'm a slow learner. I also have an impressive stack of owners manuals - not sure with the internet they're still needed. Internet could always ban all gun stuff I guess.

Comment

10-4 on keeping boxes and containers. Wish I'd kept more of the boxes new guns came in. Always enhances the value for resale, no matter how small. Same with all the tags, papers, locks, etc.

fitch270 - toss that bunch of excess wrenches in the trash and watch the garbage truck trundle off down your driveway!
                It won't be 5 minutes you'll be wishing you hadn't! 😂!

Always disliked those big old round, Weaver base screws.
                No screwdriver will fit them. Screw in the middle.
                It's round, pipe wrench or Channel-Locs! Ugh!
                I built my own. Looks like a big windup toy key. Works great.

Last edited by FirstBubba; 08-04-2020, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                  I keep a couple on my gun vise but rarely use them as I have a Wheeler set and Fat Wrench. All the rest end up in a slot of a two tray Plano tackle box that I use to keep smaller gun cleaning stuff. No idea why I keep them all.

What I’d like to do is figure out a few lengths of the more common Torx head screws used for rings and mounts then order a bunch to replace as many Allen heads as possible, both currently and in the future.

What takes up room under the bench are all the boxes and packaging for scopes, dots, rings, etc. All the extra parts and pieces to such things stay in the box for easy retrieval if needed. I also thinks it helps to have the original box for selling stuff that doesn’t meet expectations.
                  You can buy a complete selection of sizes for very little - maybe $30. The selection covers all applications. Mine are in a yellow box and contain a few hundred. I have seen them in various catalogs - check Brownells. I picked up mine at a flea market for about $20 and it was almost full. Can't tell you how many times I have had to get the box out. Gun show vendors were getting $1.50 to $2.00 per screw. This is similar to the one I have except mine are all allen head.
                  ​​​​​​https://www.gnarlygorilla.com/Pkmyr-...=c&placement=&[value]&feeditemid=&targetid=pla-4576648441088341&adposition=&msclkid=daf887a3dead1 cf37356d889c99b89ab&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc &utm_campaign=**LP%20Shopping%20-%2025.01%20-%2030.00&utm_term=4576648441088341&utm_content=G-R-PK03061%20%7C%20Pkmyr%20Master%20Gunsmith%20Torx%2 0Screw%20Set%20%7C%20%2428.46
                  Last edited by jhjimbo; 08-04-2020, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

You can buy a complete selection of sizes for very little - maybe $30. The selection covers all applications. Mine are in a yellow box and contain a few hundred. I have seen them in various catalogs - check Brownells. I picked up mine at a flea market for about $20 and it was almost full. Can't tell you how many times I have had to get the box out. Gun show vendors were getting $1.50 to $2.00 per screw. This is similar to the one I have except mine are all allen head.
                    ​​​​​​https://www.gnarlygorilla.com/Pkmyr-...=c&placement=&[value]&feeditemid=&targetid=pla-4576648441088341&adposition=&msclkid=daf887a3dead1 cf37356d889c99b89ab&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc &utm_campaign=**LP%20Shopping%20-%2025.01%20-%2030.00&utm_term=4576648441088341&utm_content=G-R-PK03061%20%7C%20Pkmyr%20Master%20Gunsmith%20Torx%2 0Screw%20Set%20%7C%20%2428.46
                    Thanks Jim, I knew you get get an assortment pack but didn’t realize they were that reasonably priced.

Comment

Jimbo you posted it before I did. The suggestion to buy a gunsmiths selection of screws from somewhere. Lucky for me I have access to most anything at work. One other piece of advice I can offer from years of maintenance work. There is a tool company called WERA. They hands down make the best bit sets. Tough tough tough did I mention they are tough as nails. Spend the money the best set of allen wrenches I own and have ever owned are wera. I have another brand and a set of bits driver handle and ratchet that I’m currently testing for the entire maintenance and engineering department to start using. So far 2 months in and they have performed great when I get done with the test I will post results. Most people don’t realize that tools are the key to quality work. Anyways rambling again

Comment

Looks familiar to me. I keep a set in a plastic bag within my range bag and in my reloading bench. All new ones get thown in a box. When it is full, I sort through it to see if there is anything different and then I throw the left overs out. Seems I always hate to throw anything away. I rarely use any of these since I have nice sets of T-Drivers, metric and SAE wrenches on my workbench.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad