Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many misfires (duds) would it take to scare you off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two rifle misfires is a limit if I can’t explain the first one. I’ve had misfires on shotguns every now and then waterfowl hunting usually due to an extremely dirty gun. My V3 was having a misfire on a couple of occasions until I figured out the firing pin and spring had a bunch of factory preservation grease sticking up the inner works. Hornady rifle ammo still on my no-fly list, likely forever. I have never had a Federal Premium or one of my handloads fail to go bang. Happy Trails

Comment

Since about the 1990s,the industry started selling rimfire .22s with high failure rates in their lowest cost bulk packaging. These are OK for plinking but I prefer ammo that goes bang when I pull the trigger and shoots with precision. I've never had a centerfire bullet or a shotgun shell fail to fire as a result of the cartridge itself. The few misfires I have experienced have been the result of failures in the firearm itself. I've only bought two boxes of factory rifle ammo though so I don't have much experience with that. I'm sure I've shot over 100,000 reloads by now and trust my reloads over factory ammo for precision. I have had a few issues with my reloads fitting in the chamber over the last 60 years. I actually test chambering of any cartridges I intend to use for hunting or competition shooting and have never had an issue with reloads in the field.

My most frustrating failure came with a new rifle. I had shot about 20 rounds through it without incident prior to the hunt, but on the first day of the hunt, I had a herd of antelope buzz me by surprise. I led a bit too far on the first shot and then on follow up shots had three primer strike failures and two failures to engage the sear. The last round finally went off and I got the antelope. Had I not, I might have thrown the rifle in a nearby lake. As it came out, the firing pin extension from the bolt face is adjustable and was set wrong and the fire control group had factory lube that collected three days of prairie dust in the high winds I experienced on the prairie. I fixed both issues upon my return home and it has been fine since then. Now, I'm kind of glad I didn't throw it in the lake but I may never get to the point of trusting it.
      Last edited by DakotaMan; 08-01-2020, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Happy... yet another amazing story. Thanks for sharing it. You have led a very adventurous life for sure my friend! I'm thankful you were able to dodge so many bullets and live to tell these stories.

Comment

Dakota, I really do not have a high percentage of misadventures, i just spend a lot of time adventuring. A PH once told me something a long the line, “ most of my time is fun or boring, then there is the small portion which is sheer terror. “
          In an attempt to keep my bear story brief i left out a little detail. When i turned the bear was stalking us when it realized i had it spotted, it froze for a mega-second and the hair on its neck stood on end, then it came in a rush. It is amazing what went through my mind in the split second before I fired. Don’t fall in the snow, Be careful of recoil causing falling in snow, and my the bear’s neck hair was stiff and long.
          Last edited by Happy Myles; 07-31-2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

H. Myles wrote:
            "... It is amazing what went through my mind in the split second before I fired. Don’t fall in the snow, Be careful of recoil causing falling in snow, and my the bear’s neck hair was stiff and long. ..."

In Dec 1991 on the way home from work, the car I was meeting on the dark, two lane paved road literally "disappeared".
            The next time I saw the car's headlights was a nanosecond before the car pasted my left headlight.
            After the collision, I was gasping for air, but happened to look down and realize the saddle blanket seat covers I had worked so hard to get tight and smooth had big wrinkles in them.
            "My seat covers are all wrinkled up. That's going to be hard to smooth out."
            When I reached over to tug at the wrinkles, I realized that seat cover wrinkles were the least of my worries!

Yes, in moments of stress, it's strange what thoughts run through our troubled minds! LOL!

Comment

I had two reloads fail to fire last year, one in Africa and one in Montana. And one three years ago when shooting at a muley buck (that I subsequently shot off the doe he was diddling). None of the primers were dented. Obviously the problem was not with the ammo. During the lockdown I found instructions on line and dismantled the Springfield's bolt. Firing pin spring seemed fine but the channel was full of crud. I doubt it had been cleaned since Dad built the gun in 1962. Maybe not since WWII. I'm certain that was the problem. I then used a .410 barrel brush to clean the chamber which was also suffering from carbon buildup. Recently shot a box of cheap gun show Federal ammo through it at the gravel pit (bored ... trap club was still locked down and I needed the cases for loading) and no failures.
              Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-01-2020, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Honker, "I had two reloads fail to fire last year...".

Thanks for your honesty Honker. This is one of the primary causes of misfires. It seems that few hunters go to the depths you did to investigate and remedy firing pin issues. Other common causes are small firing pin apertures in the bolt face that stop the firing pin once it gets carbon on it, and worn firing pins. The Weatherby Mark V also has a threaded firing pin that can be improperly adjusted to extend the firing pin properly.

In general, I feel that shooters are quick to blame their ammo for a misfire but I'd be willing to bet that 90% or more of misfires come from the rifle itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                  Dakota, I really do not have a high percentage of misadventures...
                  Great story Happy. It is amazing how our mind can shift into overdrive in situations of great peril or when our mind needs to make life saving decisions quickly. The interesting thing is that when it is operating so fast, there is still time to consider outcomes and think of alternatives while making an instantaneous decision to react.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post

Great story Happy. It is amazing how our mind can shift into overdrive in situations of great peril or when our mind needs to make life saving decisions quickly. The interesting thing is that when it is operating so fast, there is still time to consider outcomes and think of alternatives while making an instantaneous decision to react.
                    I was skiing Black Diamond runs and the brain always shifted into high speed and things looked like slow motion going by.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad