Favorite .22 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite .22 ?

We had lots of interest generated in the favorite Semi-auto .22 category, so I thought I would carry it one step further, and ask: What is your favorite .22 LR or .22 WRM of all time? Bolt, pump, lever, semi-auto, single shot, first gun, wish gun, whatever. I like .22s, and at last count had 8 1/2 on hand, so what is everyone else's thoughts? (Pistols are eligible too. Forgot to put that in.)
    Last edited by crm3006; 07-09-2020, 02:50 PM.

My first favorite went down the road with somebody else when my dad died.
    That silly old plastic Rem Nylon 66.
    My second favorite was a Marlin 39A.
    I sold it with the intention of replacing it. ☹

Comment

We've got 8 around here too. By far, my favorite is that old Winchester 74 that was my Dad's. It's wearing a Weaver K4 fixed 4x scope. I've talked about it numerous times here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Winchester Model 74 with Weaver K4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	293.1 KB ID:	738395Click image for larger version  Name:	Winchester Model 74 50 Yards.jpg Views:	0 Size:	248.2 KB ID:	738396
      Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

That one looks like it just might have taken a squirrel or three, PigHunter. I like well used but not abused rifles.

Comment

Yep CRM, Dad had killed a bunch of squirrels with that old rifle and the occasional crow if he got the chance. He's a retired mechanic and treated it like just another tool. The reason I got it was because of malfunctions and he'd replaced it with a Marlin 60. It just turned out that he'd never cleaned it. I paid my gunsmith buddy to disassemble and put the parts through his ultrasonic cleaner. Now it works fine but I'm careful to keep it from building crud.
          Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	422A1B84-DF0C-4196-9EB1-9156F8EDB917.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	738406
            Seven rifles in the safe here, but four really only count as one. Three CZ 455 Americans and a 452 Scout. Mine is on the far left, my son’s next, the wife’s stainless synthetic, then my daughter’s. In fact about an hour from now I’m headed to a gun shop with my wife and her sister to pick up another 455 s/s that my SiL bought through Gunbroker based on tying out my wife’s rifle.

My 455 came first, followed by the scout for the boy until he outgrew it and we picked up his 455. Last came the s/s for my wife, the only one of the four bought used from Kittery Trading Post in like new condition.

I don’t know that any of them shoot any better than a Savage or Marlin but for about 50% more money the build quality is far superior. As much as I’d like to have an Annie or Cooper I just can’t bring myself to spend THAT kind of money. I do have more tied up in these rifles and optics than some of my hunting guns but the fact is these get used regularly so it’s worth it to me.

@CRM; 1/2 a gun? Switch barrel?

Comment

This is my J.C.Higgins (Marlin 81) circa 1965. My Father used to take my Sister and I Click image for larger version

Name:	jc higgins .22lr 007.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	738411 to the dump, sit up on the fender and shoot rats. That was when a box of shells was $.25 cents. I shot squirrels with it by riding the bus to the edge of town with the rifle on my shoulder and got my limit and rode the bus back. I also used to shoot out the back window of my Fathers Truck Garage and get crows on the power lines along the RR tracks.
              I figure over the years it has probably been shot 50,000 times. Never a problem. Still shoots to where I can get head shots on squirrels.

Comment

fitch270- @CRM; 1/2 a gun? Switch barrel?

Sort of. I have a .22 LR conversion kit for my Kimber Custom II, and that is my 1/2. Fun to shoot, and somewhat easier on the cash flow than .45 ACP.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                  fitch270- @CRM; 1/2 a gun? Switch barrel?

Sort of. I have a .22 LR conversion kit for my Kimber Custom II, and that is my 1/2. Fun to shoot, and somewhat easier on the cash flow than .45 ACP.
                  My nephew has that and was disappointed with the plastic in the .22 magazines. For the $$ you would think it would be steel.

Comment

jhjimbo- Mine aren't "plastic", as such. They are the same polymer as the 30 round Magpul magazines I have for my AR. I have never had a loading or feeding problem with them.

Comment

My favorite .22 LR rifle was an old Winchester Model 61 pump gun that I found at a bargain price with a cracked forend piece and in need of stock refinishing.
                      I let it go in a moment of weakness.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	AE0E844B-CEB8-4E2B-B3B2-A89228A2C2CD.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	738448 Not a great pic, took it quick when we dropped off my SiL, she’s very excited to get the scope mounted and try it out. I’ll pull the stock, degrease and clean it, check the grub screw torque (switch barrel set up) and get her scope on using my rings. Good excuse for me to upgrade.

CRM; Nice on the Kimber set up, given enough shooting the cost savings in ammo should pay for the kit and save wear on the .45 components.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                          jhjimbo- Mine aren't "plastic", as such. They are the same polymer as the 30 round Magpul magazines I have for my AR. I have never had a loading or feeding problem with them.
                          I should have said polymer.

Comment

I don't know the make or model, but one time, and one time only; I got to try a German made Biathlon .22. That was my all time favorite rifle to shoot. It had a straight bold and an aperture sight, but it was probably the most precise rifle I've ever fired.

I probably could never afford it, and even though it was for biathlon so quick shots and light weight, I wouldn't want to hunt with it, but damned if it just wasn't the coolest most precise rifle I've ever handled. Seems a shame I can't even remember if it as an Anschutz or what but I remember it was German made and had a German name.

After that returning to more humble realms of regular hunters and shooters I have to say the Win 490 does it for me. I like .22's in s/a, unless someone out there has a line on a biathlon rifle...

Comment

Anyone of my model 60s

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to I paid more taxes than Trump in 16 and 17
                                by rock rat
                                Or has someone write it. It seems most book deals only net a few million. I think the Obamas got in the single millions.

We don't know what...
                                Today, 09:58 PM
                              • I paid more taxes than Trump in 16 and 17
                                by rock rat
                                Both years he paid $750

And of the 15 years before that he paid no taxes in 10 of those years.

He works as hard at tax avoidance...
                                Yesterday, 06:29 PM
                              • Reply to Big Green
                                by FirstBubba
                                Won't disagree, but getting away from Gov. Cuomo (D-NY) is a matter of life and death.

P.S. - nothing would please Cuomo more than getting...
                                Today, 09:49 PM
                              • Big Green
                                by FirstBubba
                                Remington to be bought out by seven (7) different investors!...
                                Today, 10:05 AM
                              • Reply to Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                                by rock rat
                                OSHA suggests that the safest method for retail establishments to deal with non compliant customers regarding masks is to not confront them. Some non...
                                Today, 09:48 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X