Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crm3006
    replied
    jhjimbo- Do they come in a hollow point, or are they all solids?

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    CRM, try some Aquila Interceptors when you get a chance. Fastest 40gr .22lr made. If I remember in a rifle they are 1470 fps. I find them very accurate for being a high speed round. My hunting load is Remington 40gr standard velocity in both rifle and pistol. I don't have to go more than 25 yds for squirrels.

Leave a comment:

• Proverbs
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

What ammo do you use - target, hunting ?
    In my Marlin, I started with Winchester Wildcats many years ago and never had a reason to change. They shoot as accurately as the open sights and my eyes can see small targets. Squirrels to 50 yards are in grave danger.

In the Rem 504, I use Federal Champion 40 gr and CCI 40 gr standard velocity. This particular rifle likes both. In training my children to hunt/shoot small game, I've used CCI Quiet 40 gr.

Out to 25 yards, the Quiet is very accurate and I don't have to change scope settings. The 504 wears a top-flight Leupold .22 scope with very fine reticle. I've also challenged myself to collect a limit of squirrels from a single spot, and with this rifle/Quiet ammo combination, it is not difficult.

Leave a comment:

• crm3006
    replied
    From PigHunter-I hear ya! Whipping them around like you're wringing a chicken's neck is something I've never tried.

You don't really whip them around like wringing a neck. Trick is to get him by the tail, then swing him like a bullwhip until you feel him "go loose." Then, you pop him exactly like popping a whip, away from you. Long chicken snakes and water snakes are usually fairly easy. A real old thick bodied cottonmouth might take twice or three times to actually make the head come off. Trick is, swing them until you feel them get loose. My Grandfather was an expert at it.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
    PigHunter-I've never used a firearm to kill a snake. I've beat them to death with a stick or chopped them up with a hoe, shovel, etc. A few I've just stomped to death.

Like I said, normally I just throw them over the back fence into the bar ditch, but this one was one of those stinking old water snakes that just kept coming back. Generally, when I need to kill a snake, I will twirl it a few times and pop the head off, but those stinkin' things stink! Bad. So, the .22 full of rat shot was handy, and I had a four prong tiller to lift him with out touching. Dang snake still stunk up my trash can for two weeks.
    I hear ya! Whipping them around like you're wringing a chicken's neck is something I've never tried.

They do stink and I think that's why I stopped seeing them in the same woods frequented by feral pigs. They're just too easy for swine to find and root out of hidey holes.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    jhjimbo- I use CCI Mini-Mag HPs exclusively. Out of all my .22s, they provide the best overall accuracy. I keep some short HPs in one of the pump guns and some CB caps in the other one, just to have something quiet in case I have to shoot a pest. Here the other day I killed a snake with CCI rat shot out of the Smith 617, but that was unusual. I normally just throw them over the back fence, but this one had come back for the third time and I had girl cousins and nieces coming for the Fourth of July. The only other loads I shoot are the CCi Stingers, because they function reliably in my Kimber .22 conversion kit, and some of the standard rounds do not.
    What else does every body shoot?
    Back when CCI was CCI and not a Federal subsidiary, I shot "Maxi-Mag" and "Stinger".

Many moons back, I bought one of those 525 count boxes of the Remington "Golden .22's".
    It'a been my "go-to" ever since.
    I still have some CCI and old Winchester from my "hoarder" days.
    I've got about 5k rounds. I won't shoot them all between now and judgement day! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• crm3006
    replied
    PigHunter-I've never used a firearm to kill a snake. I've beat them to death with a stick or chopped them up with a hoe, shovel, etc. A few I've just stomped to death.

Like I said, normally I just throw them over the back fence into the bar ditch, but this one was one of those stinking old water snakes that just kept coming back. Generally, when I need to kill a snake, I will twirl it a few times and pop the head off, but those stinkin' things stink! Bad. So, the .22 full of rat shot was handy, and I had a four prong tiller to lift him with out touching. Dang snake still stunk up my trash can for two weeks.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Lately I’ve been running Agulia Super Extra: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506176566

Stupid name but I’ve had very good luck with it, accurate in my CZ and no duds in a couple bricks that I can recall. Stumbled onto the stuff during one of the Obama shortages at a Cabela’s for a good price. Unfortunately I’m down to my last brick and can’t get it locally. (Mail orders not allowed as of Price Andy)

Mainly we run CCI standard as well, the club provides the kids with some and I picked up a couple bricks along the way.

The other stuff we had run was the Federal Automatch stuff, another option available for cheap on a regular basis. Only complaint is the couple duds per box that you get, not a big deal unless you’re shooting a match, messes with your focus so we’ve given up on it for that. Fine for practice.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    jhjimbo- I use CCI Mini-Mag HPs exclusively. Out of all my .22s, they provide the best overall accuracy. I keep some short HPs in one of the pump guns and some CB caps in the other one, just to have something quiet in case I have to shoot a pest. Here the other day I killed a snake with CCI rat shot out of the Smith 617, but that was unusual. I normally just throw them over the back fence, but this one had come back for the third time and I had girl cousins and nieces coming for the Fourth of July. The only other loads I shoot are the CCi Stingers, because they function reliably in my Kimber .22 conversion kit, and some of the standard rounds do not.
    I've never used a firearm to kill a snake. I've beat them to death with a stick or chopped them up with a hoe, shovel, etc. A few I've just stomped to death.

> CCI Mini-Mag HP's are my favorite for the Winchester Model 74 and Ruger 10/22's and the Mini-Mag solids are almost as accurate.

> I use CCI Maxi-Mag FMJ's in the Henry .22 WMR

> Eley subsonic HP's do well in the Ruger American Rimfire

> CCI standard velocity solids are good in the Ruger Mark III, CCI Stingers in the Mark II

> That Heritage Rough Rider usually is fitted with the .22 WMR cylinder but I've done very little shooting with it. I haven't decided yet what it likes.

Leave a comment:

• crm3006
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Proverbs View Post
    These two are not only my favorite .22s, but also are two of my collection that I would not sell, trade or part with for any reasonable sum.

1. Marlin Mod. 10 with 22" barrel. My very first rifle.
    2. Remington Model 504. I must have gotten a really good one, because 10 shots go into a small ragged hole routinely at 60 yards.
    What ammo do you use - target, hunting ?

Leave a comment:

• Proverbs
    replied
    CRM- The Kimber Hunter is a really nice looking rifle, that's for sure. I consider it pure joy to take a beautiful, very accurate LR into the field and let it stretch its legs on tiny targets.

Leave a comment:

• crm3006
    replied
    Proverbs- Nice rifles. That Remington 504 looks very similar to my Kimber Hunter, which is the most accurate .22 LR I have ever shot.

Leave a comment:

• Proverbs
    replied
    These two are not only my favorite .22s, but also are two of my collection that I would not sell, trade or part with for any reasonable sum.

1. Marlin Mod. 10 with 22" barrel. My very first rifle.
    2. Remington Model 504. I must have gotten a really good one, because 10 shots go into a small ragged hole routinely at 60 yards.

Leave a comment:

• Milldawg
    replied
    Anyone of my model 60s

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad