What an interesting article....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What an interesting article....

Never realized there are 11 .338 (8.6mm) factory loaded rounds. Federal, Ruger, Weatherby, Winchester, and on and on. Those interested in .338 should get the latest issue.
    Naturally the Weatherby .340 and .338-378 top the crowd. The artillery shell power size of the .338-378 has a whopping 2,700 energy at 500 yds.
    The .340 launches the 225 gr Barnes and 250 gr partition at just a tad short of 3,000fps.
    11 .338's to choose from, is this a Great Country, or what ??

Latest issue of what?

Comment

Woops, Shooting Times.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...tridges/377434
      Last edited by jhjimbo; 07-03-2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I remember being really taken with the .338MX. I really thought that round had potential for lever action and I think Marlin being acquired by Remington really killed it before it even had a chance.

It's a bit odd to me that the .338-06 and the .35Whelen are both around, but like Dakota said, there's a balance there and they each fall on either side of a dividing line.

I do like all the variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
          I remember being really taken with the .338MX. I really thought that round had potential for lever action and I think Marlin being acquired by Remington really killed it before it even had a chance.

It's a bit odd to me that the .338-06 and the .35Whelen are both around, but like Dakota said, there's a balance there and they each fall on either side of a dividing line.

I do like all the variety.
          The ballistics of the .35Whelen amazes me.

Comment

Me too, I've always wondered why more guys don't prefer medium bore rifles. I think it's probably recoil, but it could be not as many guys hunt bear anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
              Me too, I've always wondered why more guys don't prefer medium bore rifles. I think it's probably recoil, but it could be not as many guys hunt bear anymore.
              My .340WbyMag is not bad for recoil if you stay around 225gr bullets.

I hunted black bear with a 30-30 for years, just don't shoot them when they are moving.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad