Range Session with the Sig Sauer P365

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range Session with the Sig Sauer P365

Three weeks ago I caught a sale on the Sig Sauer P365 at one of the local gun shops. The 9mm pistol came with night sights, three 10-round mags, and a synthetic holster. The price was $499 before tax. Of course there were other sale items throughout the store but that pistol had my interest. I got there about an hour before opening and a dozen people were waiting in line. No worries, the store had plenty of pistols and I was successful.

Of course I've read much about Sig Sauer pistols but have never owned one. My main conceal carry has been an original model Ruger LC9 (6+1) and my secondary carry has been a Taurus G2C (12+1). PigHuntress has been carrying a 5-shot S&W j-frame revolver but lately has been expressing interest in my LC9 - mainly for the extra capacity and the quicker reload it provides. Also, the slide is easier to operate than that of the G2C. The LC9 will become a glovebox gun and the light revolver will remain her purse gun.

The P356 is slightly smaller than the LC9, has greater capacity, and of course has the night sights. And, the P365 has gotten great reviews. So it's an upgrade in capability without an increase in overall size.

Six days later, I finally made it to the range to test fire before trusting my life to the weapon. I had some Federal FMJ 115gr to load in the first 10-round mag. Shots 1 through 9 went well but the 10th round jammed going into the chamber, leaving the slide about an eighth inch out of battery. I first dropped the empty mag, then tried to pull the slide back, but it was stuck. Neither could I get the slide to go the rest of the way into battery. Damnit! Was it the ammo or the pistol?

So, the next morning I was back at the shop, wanting a refund, exchange, etc... I mean, who wants to bet their life on an unreliable pistol? Well, their gunsmith went in the backroom and 15 minutes later came back with the pistol and the unfired round. Apparently, the case was out of spec. He'd test fired the pistol with good ammo and it functioned flawlessly.

Yesterday I again went to the range to run the P365 through it's paces. It digested 80 rounds of Remington 115g FMJ, 10 rounds of Remington 115g HP, and 10 rounds of Hornady 115gr Critical Defense with absolutely complete reliability. So, 100 rounds with no problems, with all three mags. The pistol was more comfortable to shoot and more accurate than the old LC9. Needless to say, I'm very pleased. The only issue is when I reload. The mag catches on the meat of my palm on the way out of the grip, which causes me to shift the hold in order to extract. I'm reading this can somewhat be solved by changing to the XL grip module ($60 direct from Sig Sauer).

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020_06_26 P365 01r.jpg Views:	0 Size:	530.4 KB ID:	737381

Last edited by PigHunter; 06-27-2020, 03:13 PM.

I had to add the extension to the grip of my S&W "M&P" for the ssme reason. My meat hooks are just big enough to get in the way of the empty mag! LOL!

Comment

I have been shooting a Sig 365 since they came out. I have the Sig laser sight on mine. Over the years as a Law Enforcement Officer I have had many off duty weapons but the Sig 365 is the best one that I have had. All the deputies here have been issued a Sig 365 for off duty of extra carry firearm. I normally shoot Federal 147 grain hydro shocks in mine.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
        Three weeks ago I caught a sale on the Sig Sauer P365 at one of the local gun shops. The 9mm pistol came with night sights, three 10-round mags, and a synthetic holster. The price was $499 before tax. Of course there were other sale items throughout the store but that pistol had my interest. I got there about an hour before opening and a dozen people were waiting in line. No worries, the store had plenty of pistols and I was successful.

Of course I've read much about Sig Sauer pistols but have never owned one. My main conceal carry has been an original model Ruger LC9 (6+1) and my secondary carry has been a Taurus G2C (12+1). PigHuntress has been carrying a 5-shot S&W j-frame revolver but lately has been expressing interest in my LC9 - mainly for the extra capacity and the quicker reload it provides. Also, the slide is easier to operate than that of the G2C. The LC9 will become a glovebox gun and the light revolver will remain her purse gun.

The P356 is slightly smaller than the LC9, has greater capacity, and of course has the night sights. And, the P365 has gotten great reviews. So it's an upgrade in capability without an increase in overall size.

Six days later, I finally made it to the range to test fire before trusting my life to the weapon. I had some Federal FMJ 115gr to load in the first 10-round mag. Shots 1 through 9 went well but the 10th round jammed going into the chamber, leaving the slide about an eighth inch out of battery. I first dropped the empty mag, then tried to pull the slide back, but it was stuck. Neither could I get the slide to go the rest of the way into battery. Damnit! Was it the ammo or the pistol?

So, the next morning I was back at the shop, wanting a refund, exchange, etc... I mean, who wants to bet their life on an unreliable pistol? Well, their gunsmith went in the backroom and 15 minutes later came back with the pistol and the unfired round. Apparently, the case was out of spec. He'd test fired the pistol with good ammo and it functioned flawlessly.

Yesterday I again went to the range to run the P365 through it's paces. It digested 80 rounds of Remington 115g FMJ, 10 rounds of Remington 115g HP, and 10 rounds of Hornady 115gr Critical Defense with absolutely complete reliability. So, 100 rounds with no problems, with all three mags. The pistol was more comfortable to shoot and more accurate than the old LC9. Needless to say, I'm very pleased. The only issue is when I reload. The mag catches on the meat of my palm on the way out of the grip, which causes me to shift the hold in order to extract. I'm reading this can somewhat be solved by changing to the XL grip module ($60 direct from Sig Sauer).

Click image for larger version Name:	2020_06_26 P365 01r.jpg Views:	0 Size:	530.4 KB ID:	737381

Did you compare, measure the round to see if in fact it was out of spec ? Sounds dubious to me. JMO

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Did you compare, measure the round to see if in fact it was out of spec ? Sounds dubious to me. JMO
          Nope, but I did look at it and rolled it across the glass topped counter. It seemed misshaped with a slight bulge and didn't roll smoothly. From now on, I'm going to cycle all carry ammo through the chamber. I know it will mean loading the mags twice but that will help give me some peace of mind. I should've been doing that anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
            I have been shooting a Sig 365 since they came out. I have the Sig laser sight on mine. Over the years as a Law Enforcement Officer I have had many off duty weapons but the Sig 365 is the best one that I have had. All the deputies here have been issued a Sig 365 for off duty of extra carry firearm. I normally shoot Federal 147 grain hydro shocks in mine.
            Sarge, thanks for the input. I carried hydro shocks back when I had a .40 S&W. I'll take another look at them.

Comment

PH, could that ammo have been loaded or chambered in another firearm before you tried to use it. Reason I bring it up is it is highly unlikely to have an off spec cartridge from a major manufacturer. Just be sure you are not overlooking something. Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                PH, could that ammo have been loaded or chambered in another firearm before you tried to use it. Reason I bring it up is it is highly unlikely to have an off spec cartridge from a major manufacturer. Just be sure you are not overlooking something. Jim
                Goo6 point. Yes, that cartridge could have been cycled through another pistol at some time. I'm somewhat embarrassed to say it was part of a few rounds sitting in a styrofoam holder on my work bench. The box was nowhere to be found and I just assumed they were factory loads since 9mm is not something I load myself. Hell, they could have been reloads I'd picked up and didn't remember. For all I know it could have been dropped on concrete or some other way damaged.

Comment

I have a sig p320 in 9mm. And I don’t care for it. But I’m a 1911 guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                    I have a sig p320 in 9mm. And I don’t care for it. But I’m a 1911 guy.
                    The only 1911 I've owned was a Colt Mustang in .380 that was my small carry for a while. It had feed issues so I traded it in on a J-Frame

Comment

I used to shoot the bulk 9mm from Winchester back when it got almost as cheap as reloads. I found quite a few buckled cases, bulged cases, etc. I can't vouch for the Federal bulk, but it's not impossible. Google "WWB bad round)

Rather than cycling your carry ammo, pull the barrel and do a "plunk test" with each round. Then inspect for any issues visually for each. Manually cycling isn't a good replicator of a fired shot anyway, and it can be a bit hard on the OAL of the cartridge, especially in an 1911 (not as much in your Sig).

If you continue to get good feeding through your pistol, I would chalk it up to a bad round and not worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                        I used to shoot the bulk 9mm from Winchester back when it got almost as cheap as reloads. I found quite a few buckled cases, bulged cases, etc. I can't vouch for the Federal bulk, but it's not impossible. Google "WWB bad round)

Rather than cycling your carry ammo, pull the barrel and do a "plunk test" with each round. Then inspect for any issues visually for each. Manually cycling isn't a good replicator of a fired shot anyway, and it can be a bit hard on the OAL of the cartridge, especially in an 1911 (not as much in your Sig).

If you continue to get good feeding through your pistol, I would chalk it up to a bad round and not worry about it.
                        Thanks! I didn't think of pulling the barrel to make the process easier.

After Sarge's comment, I decided to do a little research on 9mm self defense ammo. Well, of course 9mm is now in shortage too. Fortunately, I have a few boxes of Hornady Critical Defense.

Here's a pretty good review on the ammo. Besides having powder tailored for short barrels, they use nickel cases for reliable feeding and have a heavy crimp to prevent bullet pushback.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...tical-defense/

Comment

Thanks here too Amflyer, shouldn't take long to check a couple boxes out. Definately the safer way to go about it as well.

Comment

Several years back, I was a 9mm fan.
                            After the military's past history with 9mm, I'm happy I went with
                            .40 S&W.
                            I've got a "Ye Olde" Browning (late 50's) .380 Auto.
                            Works just fine, but it is horribly uncomfortable to shoot!
                            Muzzle blast is unbelievably loud and it's so small, I have a hard time hanging on to it.
                            The wife carried it for a long time, but a mag change is difficult. It's the same type mag release you find on a Ruger Std auto .22LR and it's even hard for me to reload.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                              Several years back, I was a 9mm fan.
                              After the military's past history with 9mm, I'm happy I went with
                              .40 S&W.
                              I've got a "Ye Olde" Browning (late 50's) .380 Auto.
                              Works just fine, but it is horribly uncomfortable to shoot!
                              Muzzle blast is unbelievably loud and it's so small, I have a hard time hanging on to it.
                              The wife carried it for a long time, but a mag change is difficult. It's the same type mag release you find on a Ruger Std auto .22LR and it's even hard for me to reload.
                              Bubba, as you know, bullet technology has greatly improved. And, the military uses FMJ. So, 9mm performance is much much better in the hands of a civilian. In any case, it's all about shot placement anyway. The projectile's diameter doesn't matter if it misses.

I had a 40 S&W and the recoil / muzzle flip is greater than that of the 9mm, thus making aimed following shots slower to fire. Also, the small 9mm's are just plain easier to conceal. The 1st rule of a gunfight is in having a gun.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Medicaid Comes to Oklahoma
                                by rock rat
                                OK Angus, you got me there. No argument about the schools.

"​​​​​​government run daycare that teaches kids what to think...
                                Today, 09:35 PM
                              • Medicaid Comes to Oklahoma
                                by rock rat
                                A little mentioned ballot measure passed in Oklahoma. Medicaid Expansion as it's called.

I've forgotten the details, and apologies if I...
                                07-01-2020, 11:02 PM
                              • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                                by rock rat
                                CRM what you say makes a lot of sense, and the number of tests has doubled in 21 days as have the number of people testing positive. There's one more...
                                Today, 09:26 PM
                              • Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                New cases and hospitalizations ballooned this week in several states including Texas, Oklahoma, California, and Mississippi. Hospitals in Houston are...
                                06-24-2020, 08:09 PM
                              • Reply to Either Way...
                                by fitch270
                                We've been keeping a better inventory on things and have whittled down on "old stock" that's been sitting on the pantry shelves and in the freezer....
                                Today, 09:17 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X