10mm Gets The Nod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10mm Gets The Nod

I see the big 10 gets the nod for protection. Who needs a Glock with 15+1, you do if a Grizzly is closing down on you. And, there is the ammo available to feed these big guns.

Well, there's no Grizzly where I hunt so I'll pass. I just purchased a new Sig in 9mm and plan to get it out to the range tomorrow. It may be on me a few times when hunting this coming season. But, more than likely I'll have that 4-inch Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum on my hip this Fall.

Comment

I have a 10, I don't shoot any worse with it than any other handgun. I usually just carry bear spray. Even with the hottest loads it's barely legal to hunt with here. Bears aren't here yet, but they are getting close, coming down from the E side of the Wind Rivers and the tail end of the Wyoming range where it peters out into the Flaming Gorge and stuff. I'm sure one will be here within 10 years.

Both black and griz take a toll during calving season when nothing else can smell the elk and moose calves.

Comment

We have black bears roaming through now and then but I've never seen one in the wild nor seen any sign. But I personally know hunters who have. Likewise, I know two hunters who claim to have seen mountain lions. The .357 Mag should be sufficient for either in the unlikely event I need to pop one. Then the three "S" rule will apply.

Comment

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
          I have a 10, I don't shoot any worse with it than any other handgun. I usually just carry bear spray. Even with the hottest loads it's barely legal to hunt with here. Bears aren't here yet, but they are getting close, coming down from the E side of the Wind Rivers and the tail end of the Wyoming range where it peters out into the Flaming Gorge and stuff. I'm sure one will be here within 10 years.

Both black and griz take a toll during calving season when nothing else can smell the elk and moose calves.
          Tyler Freel is a Alaska Guide and they switched to the Glock 10mm some time ago. He contributes to Outdoor Life and did a review on what they do to the Glocks to modify them to carry on hunts. You can probably find his article in OL archives. When he hunts for himself he primarily uses a bow for bear and a light weight rifle for mtn sheep. Sheep are his passion.

Comment

Since I don't spend much time galloping around and through griz or brown bear territory, I'll just hang onto my .40 S&W.

This kinda reminds me of the guys who buy 4WD pick ups, jack them sky high, put big rims and fat mud tires and spend their time driving around town.

Comment

I don't think the 10 is that big a gun. I mean juiced up it can barely exceed the speed of sound. My 06 sends a bullet just as heavy 2.5 times as fast and a lot more accurate. When I look at the ballistics for some other handgun calibers I figure I'm doing about as well just taking a pocket full of bullets and throwing them at stuff. The recoil seems tame enough too, I mean at least it's not next to your face. Can you tell I'm a horrible shot with a handgun?

People here complain about cats being sneaky, because it seems like their tracks are everywhere but you almost never see them. But dangerous, no. Lots of people drive them away with rocks, same with black bear trying to take possession of a carcass while you are packing out quarters. Cats always seem to give up a carcass long before you get there. Usually if there's an issue it's an immature one that has been driven away by mom and is starving, an old toothless one, face full of porcupine quills, etc.

Fish and Game officers who have lots of experience spraying bears say you have to spray the black bear right in the face from up close for it to have an effect. Lots of suburban bears here, and no spring hunt or dogs or bait. So I don't consider spray to be some magic potion.

My AR has twice the foot pounds of energy, and with heavy for caliber Barnes probably even more. The only advantage is you can carry a Glock 20 concealed and hikers don't have to know you have one in your fanny pack. Oh, and the magazine holds 15 rounds and one of them would probably connect.

Thanks for the suggestion Jim. I'll look for and read Tyler's article.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad