No announcement yet.

Workhorse .22 handguns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smith made the 48 for some time. The 648 was made, discontinued, Brought back out, discontinued again and now is on 3rd non continuous run (iirc).

People that buy em shoot varmints with em.

I supposed Bowen could make you a custom cylinder. Proly buy a .22 rf handgun for not much more and with no wait (he makes nice stuff though).

Taurus makes a .22 mag /.22 lr handgun (DA/SA) and the spare cylinder comes w a crane.
    I thought the Colt Trooper I saw did too (but been a while).

One screw, pop and switch. Pretty simple.

Yup, a stainless .22 mag revolver of some size wasn't popular. Hence bringing it back for the 3rd time.

I shot a few chucks w my 6" and used it for IHMSA field pistol. Worked pretty damn good.
    But I gave up IHMSA and groundhogs got scarce.

So my needs changed.

If I was good at calling grey and red fox, I'd have one.

Comment

I once owned a very accurate High Standard Sharpshooter (a favorite of Bill Jordan's), but its match chamber made ammo selection a chore.

Comment

I had a High Standard Sharpshooter. Got it like new w box and a couple extra mags. Gun would not run.

Got an email from a bud, old article about how to tune mags. Bent to proper dims they all worked great, slow fire or as fast as possible. Variety of ammo. No probs......after mags adjusted to correct

Comment

Anyone have any idea why the "Hi Standard" Double Nine was never "popular"?
          I've seen a couple of them and they seem to be of good quality and workmanship.
          New price maybe?

Comment

The High Standard Sharpshooter is my favorite pistol of all time. I shot one for several years in competition while in college. I tried many great pistols (HS Space Gun, S&W M41 among the better ones) that all shot equally well. However, even though it was the least expensive, the Sharpshooter shot the best of all for me. The grip angle was the determining factor for me. It allowed me to shoot competitions all day without getting a tired arm and wrist. That produced better scores and that was all that mattered. All of these pistols that I've seen are capable of putting 10 rounds through exactly the same hole at 50 feet so you are just not going to see better accuracy. These competition pistols all operate at a level of accuracy that is far better than any human pulling the trigger. You can never blame them for a miss.

I usually fired over 1000 rounds daily, used CCI Match ammo and never had an issue. You need to get your magazine feed lips tuned to operate flawlessly and you are good to go. That is pretty much the same with any auto-loader.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
              The High Standard Sharpshooter is my favorite pistol of all time. I shot one for several years in competition while in college. I tried many great pistols (HS Space Gun, S&W M41 among the better ones) that all shot equally well. However, even though it was the least expensive, the Sharpshooter shot the best of all for me. The grip angle was the determining factor for me. It allowed me to shoot competitions all day without getting a tired arm and wrist. That produced better scores and that was all that mattered. All of these pistols that I've seen are capable of putting 10 rounds through exactly the same hole at 50 feet so you are just not going to see better accuracy. These competition pistols all operate at a level of accuracy that is far better than any human pulling the trigger. You can never blame them for a miss.

I usually fired over 1000 rounds daily, used CCI Match ammo and never had an issue. You need to get your magazine feed lips tuned to operate flawlessly and you are good to go. That is pretty much the same with any auto-loader.
              My goodness ! How long would it take to knock off 1,000 rounds ? With all that shooting Dakotaman, even with ear protection, have you noticed any more than usual hearing loss ? My hearing loss was due to the military and continues to worsen with age. Even with hearing aides, hearing is often a guess, and that can cause problems on many occasions!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

My goodness ! How long would it take to knock off 1,000 rounds ? With all that shooting Dakotaman, even with ear protection, have you noticed any more than usual hearing loss ? My hearing loss was due to the military and continues to worsen with age. Even with hearing aides, hearing is often a guess, and that can cause problems on many occasions!
                People start hearing loss, high frequency first, after about 55 years old and at a rate of about 10 db per year. To the young folks out there, once you lose your hearing it is never regenerated - gone forever. Sources of hearing loss - loud music (ear buds make it worse), chain saw, shooting, loud machinery, jet engines, diabetes, infection etc. Note on shooting - the damage is to the ear opposite the ejection port. right hand affects the left ear.
                Last edited by jhjimbo; 02-17-2020, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Anybody have experience with the Taurus 992 .22lr / .22Mag ? I have been looking at it plus the S&W 648 and right now I like the Taurus better.

Comment

Bowhunter75richard: "How long would it take to knock off 1,000 rounds ... have you noticed any more than usual hearing loss?"

Like any serious competitive sport, pistol shooting takes lots of practice and constant training. While shooting competitively, I shot about 4 hours per day and sometimes more. My forte was timed fire (20 seconds) and rapid fire (10 seconds) so I burned through ammo as fast as coaches, assistants and I could reload magazines. Some training exercises required 3 mag changes and 30 rounds per minute for a 5 minute duration. I remember several occasions where I was standing up to my ankles in fired brass as practice drew to a close. Slow fire requires a different temperament and burns only 10 rounds every 10 minutes.

I used good ear muffs and didn't suffer many ill affects from pistols but decades of unprotected shotgun and rifle shooting did my ears in and I now have a pretty serious high frequency hearing loss.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                      Bowhunter75richard: "How long would it take to knock off 1,000 rounds ... have you noticed any more than usual hearing loss?"

Like any serious competitive sport, pistol shooting takes lots of practice and constant training. While shooting competitively, I shot about 4 hours per day and sometimes more. My forte was timed fire (20 seconds) and rapid fire (10 seconds) so I burned through ammo as fast as coaches, assistants and I could reload magazines. Some training exercises required 3 mag changes and 30 rounds per minute for a 5 minute duration. I remember several occasions where I was standing up to my ankles in fired brass as practice drew to a close. Slow fire requires a different temperament and burns only 10 rounds every 10 minutes.

I used good ear muffs and didn't suffer many ill affects from pistols but decades of unprotected shotgun and rifle shooting did my ears in and I now have a pretty serious high frequency hearing loss.
                      I hope my question was not taken as doubt as to the actuality of shooting 1000 rounds a day, but only my astonishment of it being done ! When I was hooting my recurve amazingly well, it was through several hours of shooting daily, but nothing that would equate to your dedication and effort, that is some serious ‘stuff’ !!

Comment

I love revolvers, yours looks cool. Does he have a strong kickback?

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina View Post
                          I love revolvers, yours looks cool. Does he have a strong kickback?
                          These use .22 rimfire cartridges so there is very little recoil when firing. The first shown in this thread is made by Ruger and called their 'Single Six'. The model comes in a variety of barrel lengths, etc. Here's the link to the Ruger web page:
                          https://ruger.com/products/newModelS...le/models.html

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                            Smith made the 48 for some time. The 648 was made, discontinued, Brought back out, discontinued again and now is on 3rd non continuous run (iirc).

People that buy em shoot varmints with em.

I supposed Bowen could make you a custom cylinder. Proly buy a .22 rf handgun for not much more and with no wait (he makes nice stuff though).

Taurus makes a .22 mag /.22 lr handgun (DA/SA) and the spare cylinder comes w a crane.
                            I thought the Colt Trooper I saw did too (but been a while).

One screw, pop and switch. Pretty simple.

Yup, a stainless .22 mag revolver of some size wasn't popular. Hence bringing it back for the 3rd time.

I shot a few chucks w my 6" and used it for IHMSA field pistol. Worked pretty damn good.
                            But I gave up IHMSA and groundhogs got scarce.

So my needs changed.

If I was good at calling grey and red fox, I'd have one.
                            I bought the Taurus 992, should have it soon. Changing cylinders is just the push of a button. I chose to get one in blue. We'll see how it shoots. My idea is to take it to camp for target shooting and small game - possibly a coyote.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad