The .444 new rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
    I would think the bolt rotation on the 742/7400 before unlock to be the delay, spreading recoil over a longer period, perceived then to be less (never mind the operating system under the forend adding weight).

Don't think they designed the delay as much as got the delay by design.
    Could be wrong.

Have had three 742's and w 150's they were soft shooters. Did not run the heavy weights, due to bolt rail concern. All of mine were .30-06, supposedly the most prone.

Pristine carbine, suffered from Mini 14 itis. Cold it'd put the first shot 1" high at 100. But after that first shot, bbl heat up was wicked and the next rounds were 7-8" low. Nice group the hot shots, but way low. Not acceptable.

No wonder the old gun was like new.

Did not test is unscoped (where the heat up would have front sight track w rear. Scoped........bbl warp is not "attached" to aiming system (the problem many found shooting Mini 14 ranch rifles scoped).

I might try a 7400 if I can find a deal.
    But I have a bolt .30-06 so dunno what chambering I'd go for.

As for the .444 Marlin. I'm not a lever guy, and not a Marlin guy.
    A pump in .450 BM sounds better. Or a double in .460 S&W
    I guess all rotating bolts have an inherent delay to give the brass a chance to relax, otherwise they would not extract.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to China Virus
      by Danbo
      Very good article Pighunter ! It’s hard for governments to coverup something like that today when most people have smart phones. See pics out of China...
      Today, 12:29 PM
    • China Virus
      by jhjimbo
      Person in Seattle died. Student in Texas under observation. There would be no flu if there was not air travel. Virus hops a plane and can be anywhere...
      Yesterday, 06:15 AM
    • Reply to China Virus
      by PigHunter
      But, there were trains and ships travelling the world. Here's an interesting article on the 1918 flu:
      https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ea...
      Today, 11:30 AM
    • Reply to Memorial
      by Ontario Honker Hunter
      Sigh! You lucky guys. I am looking at snow in the back yard that is up to top of Ellie's back ... and more starting to come down (just a bit though)....
      Today, 11:26 AM
    • Reply to Impeachment a major blunder!
      by 99explorer
      If an impeachment resulted in overturning an election, Hillary Clinton would become president.
      Today, 11:24 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X