Caliber vs Caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAShooter View Post
    Caliber vs caliber, the 30-30, .308 Win, 30-06, 300 win mag are all the same caliber. Should this post be "cartridge vs cartridge"?
    PAShooter! Nice to see your name! Welcome back! (if you were ever gone! LOL!)

Yes sir! I thought about that after I posted the thread, but I was just too lazy to go back and change it.

Comment

There are other calibers that joined in. 6.5CM, 7mmMag.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        There are other calibers that joined in. 6.5CM, 7mmMag.
        All a matter of semantics, jimbo.

Caliber?
        Cartridge?
        Bullet?

From the lowly .22 Hornet, which I've used to kill deer (not suggested by the way! LOL!), to the .50BMG, if it fits your definition of a "deer rifle", what gives anyone else the right/authority to tell you the firearm is inappropriate for deer hunting?

Comment

This question prompted my attempt to list what cartridges I have used over the decades on big game around the world. I was startled to count 33 different cartridges, and may well have forgotten a few more. Should explain I grew up in a very isolated rural area of our country. There was no radio, TV, or telephones early on, the only past time was hunting when not working hard on our small cattle ranch. Grammar school and high school sports were meager, so hunting and shooting got the nod. We had plenty of game to hunt. The only magazine we subscribed to was Outdoor Life. So you might say Jack O’Connor taught me to read. I became a gun nut in spades.
          I got lucky in life and over the decades have indulged myself hunting and adventuring around the world with a wide variety of firearms including muzzle loaders, and a bit of bow hunting. I could have easily gotten by with a whole lot fewer but it would not have been as interesting. It has also allowed me to suspect many gun writers have relied on their typewriters for their expertise. Here are a few of my standbys. 22LR, 22-250, 30/06 or 300Win Mag, and a 416 Rigby. For good measure a 338 Win Mag and maybe my 500 Jeffery for elephant. Oh, a 12 gauge. Kindest Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
            This question prompted my attempt to list what cartridges I have used over the decades on big game around the world. I was startled to count 33 different cartridges, and may well have forgotten a few more. Should explain I grew up in a very isolated rural area of our country. There was no radio, TV, or telephones early on, the only past time was hunting when not working hard on our small cattle ranch. Grammar school and high school sports were meager, so hunting and shooting got the nod. We had plenty of game to hunt. The only magazine we subscribed to was Outdoor Life. So you might say Jack O’Connor taught me to read. I became a gun nut in spades.
            I got lucky in life and over the decades have indulged myself hunting and adventuring around the world with a wide variety of firearms including muzzle loaders, and a bit of bow hunting. I could have easily gotten by with a whole lot fewer but it would not have been as interesting. It has also allowed me to suspect many gun writers have relied on their typewriters for their expertise. Here are a few of my standbys. 22LR, 22-250, 30/06 or 300Win Mag, and a 416 Rigby. For good measure a 338 Win Mag and maybe my 500 Jeffery for elephant. Oh, a 12 gauge. Kindest Regards
            What ever happened to Sports Afield ?

Comment

Jimbo, Sports Afield came later. We could not afford both in the early days. I read it and Field & Stream at the barber shop. Got there early and stayed after my haircut if I had not finished reading. A cut was four bits (50 cents). Remember the trauma when they went to a dollar. For a while my aunt cut mine, I was embarrassed to go to school after she finished hacking off my hair. Folks finally relented let me go back to the real barber and reading their magazines.
              money was tight. The local general store would sell 22 ammo by the round. A whole box was outrageous, 40 cents as I recall.
              Last edited by Happy Myles; 11-20-2019, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Jimbo, Sports Afield came later. We could not afford both in the early days. I read it and Field & Stream at the barber shop. Got there early and stayed after my haircut if I had not finished reading. A cut was four bits (50 cents). Remember the trauma when they went to a dollar. For a while my aunt cut mine, I was embarrassed to go to school after she finished hacking off my hair. Folks finally relented let me go back to the real barber and reading their magazines.
                money was tight. The local general store would sell 22 ammo by the round. A whole box was outrageous, 40 cents as I recall.
                I think we paid $.25 for 22's. My Father would take us to the dump in our '37 Pontiac. My Sister and I would straddle the bulbus headlights and pass the J.C. Higgins back and forth and shoot rats until we were out of ammo. Still have the rifle. My Father paid $37.00 for it in '56.

Comment

H. Myles,
                  You post brings back fond memories and good (?) times.
                  I can remember my dad pressing 3 warm quarters into my palm and directing me to, "Go get a haircut."
                  At 5 or 6 years of age, I was trusted to walk the 4 or 5 blocks to the barbershop, have Ed Wiggington cut my hair and return to dad's office.
                  There was another barbershop along the route, but I never went in it.
                  Feeling adventurous one day, I decided to go to the closer shop.
                  I got a haircut and had a quarter left over. My mistake was returning to dad's office, munching on a 6 cent Snicker.
                  Knowing I only had enough money for a 75 cent haircut, he asked, "Where did you get the money for a candy bar?"
                  That was when I was "instructed" that one barbershop was "union" and the other was not and we (he and I) did not go to nonunion shops, barber or otherwise!
                  The fact that I had saved 25 cents was not sufficient reason to enter a "nonunion" barbershop.
                  My dad, rest his soul, would probably have heart failure trying to find a "union barbershop" today.

Comment

The closest tonsorial parlor to our home was 25miles and it was often not open. Usually waited until dad had business at the county seat which was 50 miles over a mountain range. You planned ahead in those days. The general store in our town sold everything, horse collars, whiskey, ammunition, groceries, and gasoline. There was still a hitching rack on one side in the shade out of the wind, it was chin high, sturdy, sensible for the horses sake, not the movie audience. Have a hunch Unions we’re not that important in that hard scrabble country. There are far less folks living there now. The store and saloon are gone, only a post office. 25 miles to buy anything, even a loaf of bread. A beautiful quite place, still.

The barber shop 50 miles away had a couple bath tubs. In those days many folks did not have bath tubs, so you got a haircut, a shave, and a bath once a month whether you needed it or not. Especially if there was a Saturday dance at the town hall! Kindest Regards
                    Last edited by Happy Myles; 11-20-2019, 04:34 PM.

Comment

My entire life I've had just one barber, my Dad. A good friend of his from barber school gave me a trim once, I'd spent a week practicing with his Little League baseball team before we were headed to Belgium for two weeks to play ball there. Guess he figured I'd look rough by the time we got back, it wasn't my idea but knew to respect my elders. Only other person to touch it with scissors was a young cutie around 1986-87, she gave me a perm twice over a couple months. What can I say, 19 years old and hair bands ruled the day.

Dad had subscriptions to F&S and OL, among others, he'd let me know when they arrived. Shop was connected to the house, I'd hang out on Saturdays to listen in on the conversations, especially keeping an eye out for certain guys who were outdoorsman.
                      The Old Man closed the shop years ago but he still cuts my hair. Got a few years left in him, but there will come a day eventually.....

Comment

Favorite caliber for hunting and 1000 yard F-Open...7mm
                        .284/7mm: 284 Winchester, 280 AI, 7 SAUM, 7mm WSM, 7mm LRM, and 7mm Dakota

Comment

My Dad's deer rifle when I was growing up was a Winchester Model 94 in .32 Winchester Special. That's all he used for deer until his late 50's. Those 170 grain round nose bullets hit with authority and many deer have been taken with that gun. Iron sights only of course.

He and my brother still use that old Winchester whenever they are tracking a wounded deer. It's light to carry and quick to the shoulder with fast follow-up shots.

My Dad is now 85 and still only on his second deer rifle, a Remington Model 7400 in .30-06 loaded with 180 grain Core-Lokts. Again, many deer have fallen to that combination and that's what he'll be using this coming weekend.

Dad has always viewed rifles as just another tool to get the job done. So, they get banged up and only occasionally cleaned. All he requires is that they function and are minute of deer accurate.

Comment

When I was a wee lad, haircuts were 50 cents, and the barber was always telling me to sit still.
                            One day I mentioned that the barber's dog was watching my haircut. and the barber said that every once in a while a piece of ear fell on the floor.
                            I sat very still after that.

Comment

Well we all know my affliction with 25-06.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                                Well we all know my affliction with 25-06.
                                And that's definitely a good one.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad