Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caliber vs Caliber

We all have our favorite caliber.
    As long as we like the caliber we chose and that caliber kills deer cleanly, who cares?
    A deer can only get so dead, no matter WHAT you shoot it with.
    Pick a caliber you like and just go hunting!

I would say the perfect caliber is the one a guy has. My model '94 in 30-30 was perfect for me in the mid '50's. I can't remember losing a deer. Even shot black bear with it without a problem. I did compare results with buddies and noticed a trend where the Winchester Silvertips were not what they were cracked up to be. We all went back to regular Winchester or Remington Core-Lokt's. It was not the most powerful but my average shot was probably 60yds. By the '60's a lot of friends were retiring the model 94's and picking up Remington's or Winchesters in 30-06. Now we thought we were king of the woods. and we were. The 30-06 is probably what most of us have stuck with and still hunt with today.

Comment

"Variety is the spice of life, which gives it all its flavor." (from 'The Task' by William Cowper)

I like variety and that manifests in using several different firearms during a hunting season. Tomorrow afternoon I'll carry one of my muzzleloaders into the woods. On Saturday the 6.5 CM will be in my hands. On Sunday, I'll probably carry the .30-06 semi-auto. At some point in the season I'll also hunt with a .308, .45-70, and .300 BLK. If I get half a chance, perhaps I'll drop a deer with the .357 mag and the crossbow.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
        "Variety is the spice of life, which gives it all its flavor." (from 'The Task' by William Cowper)

I like variety and that manifests in using several different firearms during a hunting season. Tomorrow afternoon I'll carry one of my muzzleloaders into the woods. On Saturday the 6.5 CM will be in my hands. On Sunday, I'll probably carry the .30-06 semi-auto. At some point in the season I'll also hunt with a .308, .45-70, and .300 BLK. If I get half a chance, perhaps I'll drop a deer with the .357 mag and the crossbow.
        We have a 2 buck limit during our 2 weeks deer firearm season. I use my 300WSM to kill my first buck and take my .308 to watch for that monster the rest of the season. Only one season did I kill a second buck. I usually kill a doe towards the last of the week for some deer meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

We have a 2 buck limit during our 2 weeks deer firearm season. I use my 300WSM to kill my first buck and take my .308 to watch for that monster the rest of the season. Only one season did I kill a second buck. I usually kill a doe towards the last of the week for some deer meat.
          We have a three buck limit for the season and a doe per day from Oct. 15th through Feb. 10th. Of course it's unlimited for feral pigs and they can be hunted year-round on private land and in the National Forests.

Comment

We have a three buck limit for the season and a doe per day from Oct. 15th through Feb. 10th. Of course it's unlimited for feral pigs and they can be hunted year-round on private land and in the National Forests.
            When I hunted in Alabama in the early 90's the season was from Monday before Thanksgiving till January 31. The limit was 1 doe and 1 buck a day for the entire season. I usually went the last 2 weeks of January the second rut seemed to come in during that time.

Comment

They've increased the buck limit here from 1 buck to 2 bucks for a total overall possession limit of 7.

"MY" season limit is one. I killed 2 last year and STILL have meat left.
              Guess that's okay since I can't hunt this year.
              Well...I could if I want to shoot left handed. I just don't have the help necessary to tend to even one this year.

Comment

PigHuntress has requested at least three deer be taken this year. She uses ground venison in a lot of her recipes.

Comment

PigHuntress has requested at least three deer be taken this year. She uses ground venison in a lot of her recipes.
                  At one point, I could drag in a cooler with a quartered deer in it and my wife would go in head first and come out with a loin.
                  I wasn't allowed to do anything until that loin was cleaned and butterflied.
                  By the time I got the cooler emptied and cleaned up and the truck was unloaded, there was pan fried back strap on the table.
                  Now, as we age, diet needs and requirements change. Physical abilities decline....
                  S#¡t happens! LOL!

pighunter, remember that old saying about, "Takes me all night long to do what I used to do all night long."
                  I know what they mean now!
                  I can't even sleep all night without getting up to pee at least twice!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

pighunter, remember that old saying about, "Takes me all night long to do what I used to do all night long."
                    I know what they mean now!
                    I can't even sleep all night without getting up to pee at least twice!
                    Bubba, I hear ya. Unfortunately that's become my nightly routine for me too.

Comment

We just finished cutting up my buck from Saturday, we now have three in the freezer from this year. It will be interesting to see what’s left going into next fall. Typically two per year kept us held over, but both kids eat more than they had years past. Teenagers. Last year my wife did buy beef burger a couple times but I doubt that will happen unless we have company over. We don’t “waste” venison on those who don’t appreciate it. Not that they don’t like it, but if they aren’t use to it we find it’s easier to just use beef.

Anyway, regarding the original topic there’s no question that improvements in bullet design have leveled the field when it comes to caliber. Of course shot placement still matters.

Comment

I like the .35 remington more and more. Kicks like a 20 ga field load, slams deer dead. Just a Boom and not a KA-RACK.

Inside of 150 i think it ideal.

Comment

Yeah I miss my 7 mag. But am into comfy anymore. Have a heavy .30-06 w a soft pad. Proly all i'll ever need on the top end. Had a .300 winmag and it shot well, but a buddy introd me to 250s in other cartidges and that had me leaning towards the shovers and away from the punchers.

Getting older and not more wealthy. Think I have all Ill ever need

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                            Yeah I miss my 7 mag. But am into comfy anymore. Have a heavy .30-06 w a soft pad. Proly all i'll ever need on the top end. Had a .300 winmag and it shot well, but a buddy introd me to 250s in other cartidges and that had me leaning towards the shovers and away from the punchers.

Getting older and not more wealthy. Think I have all Ill ever need
                            I'm liking my 6.8mm AR more and more.
                            Took my .223 Wylde AR with me to PT.
                            Therapist said, "Nice, but I still wouldn't shoot it yet! That shoulder still isn't as stable as you think."
                            Oh, well!

Comment

Caliber vs caliber, the 30-30, .308 Win, 30-06, 300 win mag are all the same caliber. Should this post be "cartridge vs cartridge"?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad