Info on 6.5 Creedmore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on 6.5 Creedmore

The 6.5 Creedmore fans aren't going to like what Ret. Col. Craig Boddington has to say about their favorite cartridge in the latest edition of Petersen's Hunting magazine. While he says the round is an awesome cartridge , it does not defy the laws of physics. The 6.5 Creedmore was designed as a long range target cartridge because of its modest velocity with low recoil. At 2700 FPS it isn't fast enough to be considered a flat shooting cartridge. He says you can kill elk with it but not over 250 yards every time. He says a 6.5 Creedmore won't do anything that a 260 Remington won't do. He says the aerodynamics of the 6.5 bullets offer real advantages for ringing steel or punching paper but for shooting game larger than deer especially at longer ranges you need a bit more bullet weight, more velocity and more energy, He says it is not true that the 6.5 Creedmore is consistently more accurate than the 260 Remington or the 125 year old 6.5X 55 and the ballistics of these cartridges are essentially identical. He says he is not anti-6.5 and certainly not anti 6.5 Creedmore and other mild 6.5 cartridges but for hunting at long distances he prefers something with a little more power .

Again, I don't understand your need to bash the 6.5 Creedmoor or to stir up conversation about it's effectiveness. As I've said before, the advantage of the 6.5 CM over similar 6.5 cartridges is in the case dimensions.

Boddington, in another article while comparing the 6.5 CM with the .260 and 6.5x55 said, "It does have the design advantage of a shorter case so it can handle long bullets in short actions."

I'm not a Western hunter, have never hunted Elk, and may never hunt in the West nor for Elk. So, that makes Boddington's opinions of the 6.5 CM on Elk unimportant to me. However, on the web there are an abundance of examples of hunters taking Elk with the cartridge.

Opening day in Alabama is this coming Saturday. I'll be carrying my 6.5 Creedmoor while hunting for deer and pigs. That's also what I'll take in a couple of weeks for a pay hunt with shots up to 250 yards. I would feel comfortable using the 6.5 CM on anything this side of the Mississippi from Florida to Maine. I see it as being equal to my .308 Win.

By the way, Boddington in one article suggested the .30-06 as the perfect all around Elk cartridge using 180 grain bullets.
    https://www.petersenshunting.com/edi...g-power/325927

As you can see from the charts below, the 6.5 CM does very well when compared to the .30-06 with both cartridges using low drag bullets. The 6.5 CM does it with far less recoil.

So, I believe Boddington is talking out of both sides of his mouth on the subject and is just showing an old man's bias against anything new.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      Again, I don't understand your need to bash the 6.5 Creedmoor or to stir up conversation about it's effectiveness. As I've said before, the advantage of the 6.5 CM over similar 6.5 cartridges is in the case dimensions.

Boddington, in another article while comparing the 6.5 CM with the .260 and 6.5x55 said, "It does have the design advantage of a shorter case so it can handle long bullets in short actions."

I'm not a Western hunter, have never hunted Elk, and may never hunt in the West nor for Elk. So, that makes Boddington's opinions of the 6.5 CM on Elk unimportant to me. However, on the web there are an abundance of examples of hunters taking Elk with the cartridge.

Opening day in Alabama is this coming Saturday. I'll be carrying my 6.5 Creedmoor while hunting for deer and pigs. That's also what I'll take in a couple of weeks for a pay hunt with shots up to 250 yards. I would feel comfortable using the 6.5 CM on anything this side of the Mississippi from Florida to Maine. I see it as being equal to my .308 Win.

By the way, Boddington in one article suggested the .30-06 as the perfect all around Elk cartridge using 180 grain bullets.
      https://www.petersenshunting.com/edi...g-power/325927

As you can see from the charts below, the 6.5 CM does very well when compared to the .30-06 with both cartridges using low drag bullets. The 6.5 CM does it with far less recoil.

So, I believe Boddington is talking out of both sides of his mouth on the subject and is just showing an old man's bias against anything new.

PH I am not bashing the 6.5 Creedmore I just thought the article was interesting and with things being slow on here I knew the article would stir up some conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

PH I am not bashing the 6.5 Creedmore I just thought the article was interesting and with things being slow on here I knew the article would stir up some conversation.
        Ah, my apologies Sarge. Yep, things have been a little slow concerning hunting and shooting.

I'm hoping the 6.5 CM will perform well for me this season. I've had the rifle a couple of years but had only the one opportunity to shoot a smaller pig with it, and that was less than 40 yards. So, not really a test and my .308 or .30-06 would have performed just as well.

Right now, I've got the rifle sighted dead-on at 100 yards with the suppressor attached. I'm going to the range before the end of the week to adjust to about 2-inches high without the suppressor. That should give me about a 200-yard zero. The rifle has a 22-inch barrel and the addition of the 8-inch suppressor throws off the balance as well as making it unwieldy in a stand or when stalking.

Comment

Ah, my apologies Sarge. Yep, things have been a little slow concerning hunting and shooting.

I'm hoping the 6.5 CM will perform well for me this season. I've had the rifle a couple of years but had only the one opportunity to shoot a smaller pig with it, and that was less than 40 yards. So, not really a test and my .308 or .30-06 would have performed just as well.

Right now, I've got the rifle sighted dead-on at 100 yards with the suppressor attached. I'm going to the range before the end of the week to adjust to about 2-inches high without the suppressor. That should give me about a 200-yard zero. The rifle has a 22-inch barrel and the addition of the 8-inch suppressor throws off the balance as well as making it unwieldy in a stand or when stalking.
          I have a friend that has both the 6.5 Creedmoor and the Hornady 6.5 PRC. He seems to like the PRC a little better because it has a little more power.

Comment

The only real advantage for the 6.5CM that other cartridges do not have is the 2 point headspace which is purported to add to it's accuracy. Other than that the 6.5X55 and others are very comparable, and with the same two point headspace chamber would be every bit as accurate as the CM. Remember, in Sweden the 6.5X55 is used in long range competition and many moose and elk are taken with the 6.5X55.

PH, re: your comparison of the 30-06 to the CM, make it a fair comparison and put a 140gr or 150gr bullet in the -06 and it will do everything the CM can do.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              PH, re: your comparison of the 30-06 to the CM, make it a fair comparison and put a 140gr or 150gr bullet in the -06 and it will do everything the CM can do.
              Jimbo, it wasn't my comparison. I got those ballistic charts from an article at GunsAmericaDigest. The author compared heavy for caliber bullets from Hornady with high ballistic coefficients. I actually think a same weight head-to-head would not be as favorable for the .30 calibers.
              https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/c...awesome-awful/

Comment

PH, 30-06 have been shooting 1,000 yd competition at Camp Perry before the CM was even a wet dream. You can look up the ballistics for a 150gr 30-06 on your own and compare to the CM. I bet they will be very close, just like the 6.5 Sweed in a modern bolt action rifle. ( like a lot of old cartridges, modern production is lower power/pressure for all the old rifles out there). Put it in a modern 70 or 700 and it would stay with the CM to 1,000 yds. JMO

Comment

PH, 30-06 have been shooting 1,000 yd competition at Camp Perry before the CM was even a wet dream. You can look up the ballistics for a 150gr 30-06 on your own and compare to the CM. I bet they will be very close, just like the 6.5 Sweed in a modern bolt action rifle. ( like a lot of old cartridges, modern production is lower power/pressure for all the old rifles out there). Put it in a modern 70 or 700 and it would stay with the CM to 1,000 yds. JMO
                  Jim, I've got rifles in 6.5 CM, .308, and .30-06 but the 6.5 CM is by far the most accurate. I'm not planning to shoot to 1000 yards but can see where I might go 500 to 600. In that case, the most accurate rifle should be the choice and shot placement is king.

Comment

Jim, I've got rifles in 6.5 CM, .308, and .30-06 but the 6.5 CM is by far the most accurate. I'm not planning to shoot to 1000 yards but can see where I might go 500 to 600. In that case, the most accurate rifle should be the choice and shot placement is king.
                    PH, That is with your rifles. The .308 and 30-06 both have the capability in a suitable rifle to shoot about as accurate as the CM at any range.

Comment

PH, That is with your rifles. The .308 and 30-06 both have the capability in a suitable rifle to shoot about as accurate as the CM at any range.
                      I can shoot a one hole 5 shot group at 100 yards with my Tikka T3Lite .308 with 125 grain Nosler Accubonds. My 300WSM will shoot a 5/8 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards shooting 165 grain Nosler Accubonds. I have tried just about every kind and brand of bullets and for accuracy and performance on game the Nosler Accubond is the best bullet I have ever loaded. A little pricy but for hunting you don't shoot that many rounds.

Comment

But I'm pleased with the 6.5 CM and am not interested in buying a new rifle in either of those other calibers. There's simply no need for me. I'll take the old .308 as a backup to the 6.5 CM when I go on the pay hunt. That 7400 .30-06 will be used later in the season when I'll have shots less than 100 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

I can shoot a one hole 5 shot group at 100 yards with my Tikka T3Lite .308 with 125 grain Nosler Accubonds. My 300WSM will shoot a 5/8 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards shooting 165 grain Nosler Accubonds. I have tried just about every kind and brand of bullets and for accuracy and performance on game the Nosler Accubond is the best bullet I have ever loaded. A little pricy but for hunting you don't shoot that many rounds.
                          I know my rifles are more accurate than I'm capable. So, 1-inch groups off bags just tickle me pink and the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor consistently delivers that kind of accuracy. One hole groups would be interesting but are simply not required for my style of hunting. Heck, most of the time I'm shooting off-hand unsupported so I'm probably flinging bullets at 5 MOA. That's not a problem when most shots are 60 yards or less.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Impeach?
                            by fitch270
                            This is the most useful post in this entire trainwreck of a thread....
                            Today, 10:28 PM
                          • Reply to Impeach?
                            by 99explorer
                            Here is a link to our progress with the great wall that our president claimed could not be climbed by the best climbers in the world.
                            Those are
                            Today, 10:07 PM
                          • Reply to Impeach?
                            by FirstBubba
                            Uhhmmm....
                            rock rat,

Vanilla Pudding

1/2 C sugar
                            1/3 C AP flour
                            2 C whole milk
                            3 egg yolks separated...
                            Today, 09:34 PM
                          • Reply to Impeach?
                            by FirstBubba
                            I have to ask myself, "Self," (that's what I call myself, Self.), "do you really care what some liberal hack thinks about a link I posted?"...
                            Today, 08:46 PM
                          • Reply to Impeach?
                            by rock rat
                            Bubba these are the people who did your polling "The American Action Network is a nonprofit, conservative[4][5]issue advocacy group based in Washington,...
                            Today, 08:12 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X