foam case cause rust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foam case cause rust?

When I purchasing my new/used 870 I was looking for a case to store it in at home. I dont have the money for a huge refrigerator safe, im waiting till I own a house for that one. The guy at the gun store told me to try not to do long term storage in the foam cases because they can over time cause the weapon to rust. I read here about good way to revome rust Is this true?
    Last edited by Gwandena; 11-21-2019, 04:05 AM.

Originally posted by Gwandena View Post
    When I purchasing my new/used 870 I was looking for a case to store it in at home. I dont have the money for a huge refrigerator safe, im waiting till I own a house for that one. The guy at the gun store told me to try not to do long term storage in the foam cases because they can over time cause the weapon to rust. Is this true?
    YES! DO NOT store firearms in a foam lined gun case.
    If you want to protect it, get a simple, cloth "gun sleeve".
    Guns are best stored out in the open in a controlled atmosphere (home?).
    Foam and faux fleece lined cases are the world's worst about causing rust.

Comment

It depends all on the relative humidity where the firearm is being stored. My house stays dry with the humidity usually running in the 40's. So far I've not had a problem with rust.

Comment

PH is exactly right. Much depends on the surrounding area and the average humidity. I have a wood frame garage with lots of misc. wood pieces around. I call the wood - slave wood. As the humidity increases, the wood absorbs the moisture. And vice-versa. Same way in the house. I can leave carbon steel out for a year and never get any rust.
        On the other hand, I know someone who has an all concrete/masonry block garage with no wood in it and a car parked in it will rust before your eyes.
        I was at a buddy's house getting some work done on a lathe. When finished he gets out a bucket and starts coating everything. He said without it the rust would start. Guess what, not a stick of wood in his whole shop, all steel.
        What I do is when home, open the gun case to dry completely. Then I put the gun in but leave the zipper open some. Never have had rust on any of my firearms.
        Worst thing is to zip a case tight with a gun inside with a damp lining. Rust will start before you get home.
        Last edited by jhjimbo; 11-14-2019, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Have to agree it depends on where your keeping it and how much care your giving it. If you put it in a damp room it will rust no matter what.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad