Guns at Orscheln farm & home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guns at Orscheln farm & home

Went into the new Orschelns and there were guns for sale. They've always sold some ammo, blinds, clothes, etc but they are now selling guns. Did you guys know this?

The closest Orschelns sells guns and has for about 2 years, actually had a really nice selection, but the other locations nearby do not.

Comment

Upon further reflection, the local Orschelns sporting goods department as a whole almost rivals Walmarts. The gun counter in Orschelns is probably 3X larger.

Comment

I've never heard of them. The closest looks like it's in Kentucky and about 5 hours drive.

Comment

Orschlen's near me (30 miles?) carrys lots of hunting accoutrements, more popular ammo, but last time I was in there, I didn't see any guns ... but then I wasn't looking for them!

Down here, "Atwood's" is beginning to get a "toehold" in the gun bidness. Lots of stands, pop up blinds, corn, food plot seed, the ubiquitous "butt-out" tools, the most popular ammo and various other assorted and sundry items.

...and I'm still finding it hard to locate 6.8mm Rem SPC ammo.

Comment

We have a lot of similar stores - Rural King (sells guns), Tractor Supply, Northern Supply, Fin,Feather,Fur, The Cabin(BP, custom BP guns)

Comment

We have Tractor Supply, but they don't sell firearms of any type that I'm aware of.

Comment

We have a Tractor Supply, but they don't sell guns or ammo and they're not as good as the old Central Tractor in that same location. Central Tractor always had a full stock of shotgun shells and slugs, a good bit of fishing tackle, plenty of hunting clothes and boots, and a great knife selection. Tractor Supply does still have the clothing, boots, and knife case.

Walmart is the only retail store in forty miles where you can buy a gun.

We do still have couple-three little country gun-shops in the area, though. One of them is right down the road from an old country burger-joint / ice-cream shop, which is right down the road from a village where one of our few remaining bait-shops is. It's like they're in a happy little time-warp out there.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  ...and I'm still finding it hard to locate 6.8mm Rem SPC ammo.
                  Bubba, how far are you from an Academy Sports? I see they have several locations in your state and you can order ammo delivered to the store to pick up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Academy 6.8 SPC.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	717320

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                    We have a Tractor Supply, but they don't sell guns or ammo and they're not as good as the old Central Tractor in that same location. Central Tractor always had a full stock of shotgun shells and slugs, a good bit of fishing tackle, plenty of hunting clothes and boots, and a great knife selection. Tractor Supply does still have the clothing, boots, and knife case.

Walmart is the only retail store in forty miles where you can buy a gun.

We do still have couple-three little country gun-shops in the area, though. One of them is right down the road from an old country burger-joint / ice-cream shop, which is right down the road from a village where one of our few remaining bait-shops is. It's like they're in a happy little time-warp out there.
                    Tractor Supply (TSC) has a pretty wide selection of pop up blinds, thing-a-mabobs and do-jiggers. Just no guns or ammo.
                    They still sell gun safes and some meat processing equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Bubba, how far are you from an Academy Sports? I see they have several locations in your state and you can order ammo delivered to the store to pick up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Academy 6.8 SPC.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	717320
                      pighunter, I'm 50 miles from one Academy and 35 from another.
                      My only problem with Academy (both of them!) is they only have 2 shelf slots for 6.8 ammo. My OFS won't hardly allow me to buy "American Eagle" ammo.
                      I actually prefer Remington ammo, but nobody seems to carry it. All 6.8 ammo uses small rifle primers. Rem is the only mfg that uses large primers. ALL Hornady primers are "crimped", so they are a pain, but it is good brass.
                      With all that, I stopped at an Atwood's yesterday. The clerk had no idea what 6.8mm ammo was, until we looked on the shelves.
                      Lo & behold! There were several boxes of Hornady "Black" w/110 gr V-MAX.
                      He was as surprised as I was!
                      The ensuing conversation led to me asking if he could get the Federal "Fusion" w/90 gr SP!
                      He assured me he could, and "would"!
                      Looks like I've found an ammo supply! FINALLY! LOL!

I think that with Dicks, Wal-Mart and other big box and discount stores getting out of the gun game, it's opening the market for outfits like Tractor Supply, Orschlen's and Atwood's.
                      There are two pretty big M&P stores in the closest town. I don't think the TSC or Orschlen's will do any good there.

Comment

FB: Glad you found your ammo. Get a good supply laid up just in case. Those 2 yrs or so I went with no ammo for my 17hm2 bent me all out of shape. Never again will I let my ammo run low for any weapon I have.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                          FB: Glad you found your ammo. Get a good supply laid up just in case. Those 2 yrs or so I went with no ammo for my 17hm2 bent me all out of shape. Never again will I let my ammo run low for any weapon I have.
                          Just my luck, dewman. The boss and me are going to join the "Snow Bird" crowd and head to S. Texas for the winter! (Through March)
                          Hopefully, I can nab a couple of boxes before we leave!

Comment

Bubba, you missed my point. You can order that Remington ammo for store pick-up at your closest Academy.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                              Bubba, you missed my point. You can order that Remington ammo for store pick-up at your closest Academy.
                              Yes sir, I know. It's the OFS. I want to walk in the store, find it, then buy it! LOL!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin
                                by CD2
                                Honestly, I would not feel handicapped running a smooth bore shotgun for deer out to 125 yards or so. If I had to, it'd be the green/black camo old M500...
                                Today, 12:35 PM
                              • High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin
                                by Freewolf1
                                I've seen other threads and comments about putting see through or high rise mounts on a marlin 336 30/30. I understand that these mounts make for a change...
                                11-27-2019, 07:18 PM
                              • Reply to High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin
                                by CD2
                                I had an 835. Older one. It worked fine.
                                But it was a Mossberg.
                                I hate a thick wrist on a shotgun.
                                Read that the new bismuth #2 in...
                                Today, 12:31 PM
                              • Reply to Outdoor Life !, bu
                                by PigHunter
                                Thanks for the heads up about RFC. I just require minute-of-squirrel accuracy and probably wouldn't fit in on that forum.
                                Today, 12:01 PM
                              • Outdoor Life !, bu
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                It has been over a month since anything new has been posted on OL ! Is that site dead in the water, or is there a reason to keep it alive ? Is there...
                                Yesterday, 06:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X