Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firearms Inventory

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Firearms Inventory

    Since I have done some trading in the last year, this morning I removed all my firearms from my gunsafe. After logging the particulars about each firearm I wiped them down and put them back in the safe. When I get the Winchester 67 .22 that was my first new gun in 1959 and my Iver Johnson Champion 12 ga. that my Father gave me used in1958 it brings back a lot of memories of hunting with my Father over 60 years ago. Neither firearm has a serial number because they didn't put serial numbers on guns back then. My Father and his brother when my Father was 12 years old which was 90 years ago, they bought the used Iver Johnson for $6.00 plus 2 boxes of shells. My Father's cousin who was killed in WW II used the Iver Johnson for a cant hook to move a log that a rabbit was hiding it and broke the stock off. A guy ordered a blank and made my dad a stock and the pitch and length of the new stock removed a lot of recoil from the shotgun.

  • #2
    Nice. I was 30 years old when I bought my first firearm. As a teen I always borrowed my Dad's shotgun. It was a bolt action 16 gauge with fixed full choke. Can't remember the brand. Killed a lot of squirrels, dove, and quail with that one.

    Going to college and getting started with a career kept my intertest in hunting and shooting at about zero. Then I started working with gun nuts and the rest is history. The first gun was a Ruger Mini-14 and I sold it about 5 years later. The second is a Remington 870 12 gauge and I still have it.
    Last edited by PigHunter; 10-21-2019, 04:08 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      "First" gun that was actually "mine"?
      A gift (hand-me-down) from my great uncle when I was 4 years old.
      Couldn't keep both ends off the floor! LOL!
      L.C. Smith "Elsie" 16 gauge. It's still in the safe. Per the serial number, it was made in 1904.
      First gun I bought was a Ruger .45 Long Colt. Swapped it for a Ruger .41 Rem Mag w/scope. Swapped that for a PH .270 Win w/Weaver K4.
      High school buddy I worked with ended up with the .41 Mag.
      He was in a motel room in Freeport, TX, dropped it, it went off!
      Went through the bed frame, the bed rail, the mattress and hit his arm, destroying his expensive wrist watch. Thankfully, he was unhurt except for his ears and ego!
      About 5 years ago, I sold off a bunch (?) of "stuff" I never used.
      I'm back down to users and heirlooms.
      I'm beginning to shuffle the heirlooms off on the kids. They can fight over the "users" later and they've pretty much come to agreement on who gets what.
      I'm most proud that I was able to leave each of them a Win M12 16ga.

      Comment


      • #4
        Firearms inventory has changed since yesterday. I have been looking for an upgrade on my muzzleloader and I found a CVA Stainless V2 muzzleloader. Has been shot very little. I had to put too much scope on it but I had a Vortex 4x14x44 that was looking for a gun. Oh well you can't hit what you can't see. I traded my Mossberg Patriot 22-250 which I found that I had no use for so it was expendable.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
          Firearms inventory has changed since yesterday. I have been looking for an upgrade on my muzzleloader and I found a CVA Stainless V2 muzzleloader. Has been shot very little. I had to put too much scope on it but I had a Vortex 4x14x44 that was looking for a gun. Oh well you can't hit what you can't see. I traded my Mossberg Patriot 22-250 which I found that I had no use for so it was expendable.
          Sarge, that should be a good muzzleloader. I like the CVA products and have one of their Electra's with electronic ignition. It's accurate and easy to use. Just takes a 9-volt battery, powder, and bullet. I'm getting 1-1/4 inch, 3-shot 100 yard groups. The load is 100 grains of Triple 7 loose powder with a Hornady 240 grain XTP sabot. My scope is a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 made for shotguns. The adjustments are in 1/2 MOA per click.

          Click image for larger version  Name:	CVA Electra Target 2017_11_25a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.0 KB ID:	716651

          Comment


          • #6
            I had an older Optima about 15 yeas ago. It didn't have quick release breech plug and didnt have the V2 trigger assembly. I found out that you have to get a different breech plug to shoot Buckhorn 209 power.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
              I had an older Optima about 15 yeas ago. It didn't have quick release breech plug and didnt have the V2 trigger assembly. I found out that you have to get a different breech plug to shoot Buckhorn 209 power.
              The longest shot I have out of my deer blind is 100 yards. I may turn into a Jim Shockey clone and hunt deer with my muzzleloader. I just don't have the black hat.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

                The longest shot I have out of my deer blind is 100 yards. I may turn into a Jim Shockey clone and hunt deer with my muzzleloader. I just don't have the black hat.
                Sarge, I've often considered doing that too. The longest muzzleloader shot I've made was 125 yards, and that was with open sights.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

                  Sarge, I've often considered doing that too. The longest muzzleloader shot I've made was 125 yards, and that was with open sights.
                  I plan on using Blackhorn 209 powder for my CVA. They recommend it for accuracy and velocity. The only drawback is you have to buy another breechplug to shoot the 209 powder. The new breechplug can be used for all loose powder. I plan on using nothing but loose powder from now on. My Son has a CVA Accura and he can shoot 1 1/2 3 shot group at 100. He shoots Hornady flex tip bullets, which I am going to shoot, and white hot pellets.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My firearm inventory has changed again. 40 years ago I had a 20 gauge over and under and sold it to my buddy. I have wanted one for years. My buddy who has the gun shop here had a Stevens 555 20 gauge. I have a Weatherby SA08 semi auto shotgun that I haven't shot in over 20 years. Today he offered to trade me even. I realize the Stevens is not a high class shotgun but it handles nice and the action seems to be smooth. Price on the Stevens is $710.00 , I have about $325 in the Weatherby. Both guns are made in Turkey. I guess this evening I will be the owner of a 20 gauge over and under again.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
                      My firearm inventory has changed again. 40 years ago I had a 20 gauge over and under and sold it to my buddy. I have wanted one for years. My buddy who has the gun shop here had a Stevens 555 20 gauge. I have a Weatherby SA08 semi auto shotgun that I haven't shot in over 20 years. Today he offered to trade me even. I realize the Stevens is not a high class shotgun but it handles nice and the action seems to be smooth. Price on the Stevens is $710.00 , I have about $325 in the Weatherby. Both guns are made in Turkey. I guess this evening I will be the owner of a 20 gauge over and under again.
                      You go sarge01! Think you got the clean end of that stick! LOL!

                      Comment

                      Welcome!

                      Collapse

                      Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                      If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                      And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                      Right Rail 1

                      Collapse

                      Top Active Users

                      Collapse

                      There are no top active users.

                      Right Rail 2

                      Collapse

                      Latest Topics

                      Collapse

                      Right Rail 3

                      Collapse

                      Footer Ad

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X