Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gun selling frustration, what am I missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun selling frustration, what am I missing?

Been trying to sell some of my more desirable/collectible guns with zero luck. This weeks offering is a never shot Ruger mk2 with the 10" barrel. I had them drill and tap it for their scope base that uses Ruger rings when they came out, spotless job. It would be NIB if I had the box. $200 is the only offer? Wth? And when did Walnut lower the value? Is because of all things "tactical"? Today was more aggravating then when I showed a flawless 1100 to someone looking to buy. Gorgeous wood, pre screw in chokes, which is what he wanted because he was gonna saw the barrel off to 19" and the stock into a pistol grip. Told him mossberg made one like that already, with a fold down vertical grip for much less. He found him one and is happy. He works with my nephew and told him I was crazy high. Thought it should only cost him around $150, because and I quote, " it needed so much work". I hope the cards game goes like it did last night, I need a break from the drama(sarcasm)

The 10" isnt seen to often these days. IHMSA aint popular. Collectors want original and like to have the factory packaging/documentation. Altered guns are just shooters. Might be exactly what somebody wants too.
    But value gets clobbered.

Comment

My dad had a blued 10" drilled and tapped w Redfield on it ages ago. iMHO 200 is low, even for a shooter version. But i live in a decent manufacturing area so prices are higher

Comment

The firearms market is saturated. Many of us older guys who appreciate Mark II's and 1100's are covered up with firearms and can't find time to shoot all that we have. The younger shooters are more interested in the latest release, especially if it has a tactical look.

In about 8 to 10 years, I'll be getting rid of about 75% of my inventory as I downsize for retirement. That's on my mind when considering adding another to an already overflowing safe, closet, glovebox, etc.

Perhaps that's what you're running into Dewman.
        Last edited by PigHunter; 10-04-2019, 07:10 PM.

Comment

I believe you're right PigHunter. And yet, I find no comfort. Dang Cardinals are losing too.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
            The firearms market is saturated. Many of us older guys who appreciate Mark II's and 1100's are covered up with firearms and can't find time to shoot all that we have. The younger shooters are more interested in the latest release, especially if it has a tactical look.

In about 8 to 10 years, I'll be getting rid of about 75% of my inventory as I downsize for retirement. That's on my mind when considering adding another to an already overflowing safe, closet, glovebox, etc.

Perhaps that's what you're running into Dewman.
            I started down sizing early and found great success putting them in a shop on consignment. I also use Gunbroker.com. A lot of people just want a gun that goes bang, nothing costly. Some certain models are crazy desirable and I can't figure out why - maybe the movies. Conversely, some minor lacking can ruin a value with todays buyers. I had a post '64 Winchester 94 that was in great shape and shot great but was $$$ below in value VS a pre '64. I only have a couple that have increased dramatically in value and I will pass them down. With about 150 firearms in my life I have never lost money on one - broke even on some but not lost. I am down to a small fraction of the ones I have had.

Comment

Back in 1978, I bought a Ruger No.1 bull barrel, barreled action.
              Rhinehart-Fajen stocked it.
              Triple A grade walnut, Neidner palm swell, 3 round cartridge trap, hand rubbed oil finish.

When I decided to sell it, it was a "used" Ruger No.1. Nobody gave a crap about the $600 worth of walnut....except me!

dewman, I feel your pain, but it's just the way of the world we live in.
              Few buyers are interested in antiquities any longer.
              You and I see a pristine Win M12 as a "crown jewel". Today's newbies see a worn out hunk of junk!

Comment

Collector stuff may be nice (or not).
                Nice stuff may be collectible (or not).

Everybody I know that collects wants mint mint mint.
                If something has been modified, it usually hurts the value.
                But could depend on who modified it.

My dad has a 1911 frame that was worked on by a national target guy, that later had a shop catering to the target crowd. It wears a Kart slide. Nice .22 rf pistol. No paperwork to verify the story on the frame.

But I was there when he bought it
                Last edited by CD2; 10-05-2019, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Have you considered Gun Broker? Might be worth trying.

On our trip to Maine a couple weeks ago I ended up bringing back all three guns I took to trade. Wasn't even close numbers wise, which surprised me after the good deal KTP gave me last year. They did give me a fair offer on the Vortex Crossfire II scope I brought along, but that one would probably sell fast to someone looking to scope an AR or such.

Comment

Only sell guns, and most anything else, face to face. Dug through my drawer and found paper where it was FACTORY drilled and tapped and that it has a Ruger stamped base for Ruger rings. Had a Leupold 2x for it but never mounted it. Wonder where the heck I put that? Where in tarnation sre the rings? Hey, here are the original plastic grips. Think it's time to go exploring around the room.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Give them all they need ...
                      by 99explorer
                      Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
                      When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
                      Today, 07:29 PM
                    • Give them all they need ...
                      by jhjimbo
                      I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
                      10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
                    • Reply to Snapshot
                      by FirstBubba
                      Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
                      I've never carried over about $1500.
                      Today, 07:27 PM
                    • Snapshot
                      by jhjimbo
                      What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                      I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                      Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                    • Reply to Snapshot
                      by PigHunter
                      "Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice...
                      Today, 07:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X