Who's in buying mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    Ammo Tip - I was at the Club and signed up for bowling pins. Problem was I had a full box of .22lr that I had not checked out on paper. Same ammo as the last box I shot and sighted in with. There was so much POI difference I got a string of DNF for a score. So, if it is a different lot number shoot it to check it before you count on it.
    Absolutely!

Comment

Bought a 20ga SxS and a 22LR last week, plus a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x. Next up is an AR, an O/U and some more hunting gear.

Comment

Dunno if the UAW strikes will mean some deals to be had or not. Ripple effect proly start after a couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
          Dunno if the UAW strikes will mean some deals to be had or not. Ripple effect proly start after a couple weeks.
          No matter, no UAW's in my neck of the woods! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
            Bought a 20ga SxS and a 22LR last week, plus a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x. Next up is an AR, an O/U and some more hunting gear.
            What sxs? What 22? Andwhat o/u you looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

No matter, no UAW's in my neck of the woods! LOL!
              Proly sold local but they might pop up on Armslist

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post

Proly sold local but they might pop up on Armslist
                I unnerstan them UAW's be's hard to clean and smell bad cooked!

Worked "onion" 15 years. Had all that crap I ever wanted!
                SOB's sold me (us?) and my craft down the tubes! From the local chairman on up got their pockets lined! The dues paying, working stiff got just that...the "STIFF"! If you catch my drift! It wasn't just a local thing either. We were a nationwide outfit!
                Some locals were able to hang onto a few positions but death and attrition soon cleaned those up.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post

What sxs? What 22? Andwhat o/u you looking at?
                  Ditto this!

Comment

Ok, so the last couple shows were a bit of a disappointment so it’s time to get serious. Spontaneous road trip with just the wife to Kittery Trading Post. Leaving tonight and returning tomorrow, taking trade fodder with us.

Date with the wife to buy toys just before I leave her home while the boy and I go play in Montana. Blessed I am.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                      Ok, so the last couple shows were a bit of a disappointment so it’s time to get serious. Spontaneous road trip with just the wife to Kittery Trading Post. Leaving tonight and returning tomorrow, taking trade fodder with us.

Date with the wife to buy toys just before I leave her home while the boy and I go play in Montana. Blessed I am.
                      Before and after every trip out of state I made sure to spend time and treasure on the mrs. Learned the hard way from my first marriage. My wife knows she comes first all the time, every time. Only second to God, who loaned her to me. No, she's not here watching me type this.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                        Before and after every trip out of state I made sure to spend time and treasure on the mrs. Learned the hard way from my first marriage. My wife knows she comes first all the time, every time. Only second to God, who loaned her to me. No, she's not here watching me type this.
                        The "right" woman in life is truly a gift of God!
                        I spent 28 years hunting, fishing and looking for the "right" one.
                        Forty years I've been with her and I'm (we're?) still hunting and fishing! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

The "right" woman in life is truly a gift of God!
                          I spent 28 years hunting, fishing and looking for the "right" one.
                          Forty years I've been with her and I'm (we're?) still hunting and fishing! LOL!
                          I tell PigHuntress that I love her more than going hunting... but she just smiles and says "Sure you do and I love you more than eating chocolate." LOL! We've been together almost 15 years, bless her heart.

Just bought a new camo backpack this past weekend. The zippers were not working right on my old camo pack. This one is 41 liters and thus not as roomy as the 50 liter orange Kelty I use during cold weather hunts. The smaller pack will be more than adequate as long as I'm not trying to stuff insulated bibs in them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

I bought an Marlin 1895 SBL (used, but unfired) and a Savage Rascal .22 single shot.

I don't like scopes on lever-actions, but this one will be primarily a hunting arm and has a Scout rail system, so I put a Leupold 2.5 IER scope on it, similar to the Steyr Scout. Trigger is decent-ish, action is smooth, and fit/finish is acceptable. Would like to shoot a warthog and an eland or two with it next trip for plains game.

Last Rascal I bought for the older son needed ignition spring augmentation and firing pin reshaping to make it reliable. The newest one already had a re-shaped firing pin from the factory, but still had 1 of 25 or so misfires, so I added more tension to the spring. A lot of gun for the money, with Accutrigger and peep sights. Young son shoots it very well, and is remembering the safety stuff too.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                              I bought an Marlin 1895 SBL (used, but unfired) and a Savage Rascal .22 single shot.

I don't like scopes on lever-actions, but this one will be primarily a hunting arm and has a Scout rail system, so I put a Leupold 2.5 IER scope on it, similar to the Steyr Scout. Trigger is decent-ish, action is smooth, and fit/finish is acceptable. Would like to shoot a warthog and an eland or two with it next trip for plains game.

Last Rascal I bought for the older son needed ignition spring augmentation and firing pin reshaping to make it reliable. The newest one already had a re-shaped firing pin from the factory, but still had 1 of 25 or so misfires, so I added more tension to the spring. A lot of gun for the money, with Accutrigger and peep sights. Young son shoots it very well, and is remembering the safety stuff too.
                              What calibre is the Marlin? Same gun to shoot warthogs and elands? Those little hogs don't take much punishment. Maybe a lot more poop needed to kill a great big eland. I'm planning for black wildebeest, waterbuck, and nyala next year. Eland just don't turn my crank much. Maybe another kudu if time allows. Hunting them is a kick. But I understand nyala are just as challenging.

Comment

Honk, the Marlin 1895SBL is chambered in .45-70 Gov't.
                                It is stainless and the lever has a slightly enlarged (not Rifleman sized!) loop.

Due to anemic factory loads for idiots to shoot in antiquated rolling block rifles, I would never have suggested the .45-70 Gov't for Africa!
                                In a very strong, modern rifle with some spicy reloads, I can imagine you could get eerily close to .458 Win Mag ballistics, adequate for just about anything African.
                                That and in a short, maneuverable, rapid reloading lever gun?
                                How can you go wrong?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Give them all they need ...
                                  by 99explorer
                                  Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
                                  When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
                                  Today, 07:29 PM
                                • Give them all they need ...
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
                                  10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
                                • Reply to Snapshot
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
                                  I've never carried over about $1500.
                                  Today, 07:27 PM
                                • Snapshot
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                                  I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                                  Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                                • Reply to Snapshot
                                  by PigHunter
                                  "Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice...
                                  Today, 07:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X