Who's in buying mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's in buying mode?

It appears to be a buyers market these days and I'm thinking about adding to the safe. There's a show coming up that I'll be attending, going to keep an eye out for Rem 700's that need a good home, maybe even a custom if I stumble on the right one. I'm also thinking about a semi-auto shotgun, likely synthetic for use on turkeys and upland birds on bad weather days. I promised my wife her own .22 for Sporterifle, thinking another CZ. The boy would love an O/U but he won't say so, he just keeps telling me how nice my Franchi is. He's also going to need a muzzleloader of his own as I only have one. We shared mine last year but that just don't cut it. Thing is if you go looking you never know what you might find.

Anyone have something they're interested in acquiring?

I thought I was done for 2019 and don't really need additional firearms. But darn it Fitch, you've got me thinking!

The last purchase was a S&W J-frame. I've stopped going to gun shows and have greatly cut back on checking out gun counters, except for pawnshops.

Actually, I've been thinking of downsizing and getting rid of some inventory. The 6.5 Creedmoor is really all I need in a big game rifle. Everything else is just superfluous.

However, I've been looking at AR10's and am exerting willpower not to buy one.
    Last edited by PigHunter; 09-05-2019, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Been thinking about a 45-70 lever action. Would like a Winchester, considering a Henry, and ruled out the new Marlins.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
        It appears to be a buyers market these days and I'm thinking about adding to the safe. There's a show coming up that I'll be attending, going to keep an eye out for Rem 700's that need a good home, maybe even a custom if I stumble on the right one. I'm also thinking about a semi-auto shotgun, likely synthetic for use on turkeys and upland birds on bad weather days. I promised my wife her own .22 for Sporterifle, thinking another CZ. The boy would love an O/U but he won't say so, he just keeps telling me how nice my Franchi is. He's also going to need a muzzleloader of his own as I only have one. We shared mine last year but that just don't cut it. Thing is if you go looking you never know what you might find.

Anyone have something they're interested in acquiring?
        I came close to buying a Weatherby Mk V .240WbyMag made in the Weatherby Custom Shop. Beautiful rifle and wood stock. I hunt with a guy that uses a 6mm and he tried his best to talk me into it. It was about a $6K rifle I could have gotten for about $3K. It did have a initial floor plate but Weatherby said they would make one for me. I just did not see myself shooting 300yd for ground hogs with a rifle that could shoot to the next zip code. Also, it probably would be hard on barrels - 3,300fps.
        As far as buying, I try every year to spend some $$$$ in the hunting / fishing products industry, and have done so ever since I started hunting. This year was some ammo and a scope, last year was boots. I pull my ATV on a trailer and may buy a new one this year at Cabela's. I keep checking their gun library but the one in Ohio does not have a very nice selection.

Comment

About the only thing I might be interested in is a Ruger LCP2 for my fiancee.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
            Been thinking about a 45-70 lever action. Would like a Winchester, considering a Henry, and ruled out the new Marlins.
            Get the Marlin 1894M in .450Marlin. Twice the cartridge the 45/70 is.

Comment

I've just about quit "gun show" shopping.
              There are 3 or 4 "chain" pawn shops I cruise from time to time, but that's about it.
              Would like to pick up a Ruger M77/22 Hornet.

Comment

I am done acquiring. At my age it is time to start downsizing.

Fitch, you need a proper elk gun ... now. If you see a 30-06 (and I'm sure you will see plenty of them), give it some strong consideration. Gotta admit I was quite impressed with what the Nosler Partition did to that bull wildebeest. A big very tough animal dropped instantly and never wiggled. Recovered the bullet for both him and one from the gemsbuck. Both looked almost identical: missing the front half but the back end behind the partition was intact. Interesting that the back half of the gemsbuck bullet was flattened sideways too. We could feel the bullet underneath the hide of wildebeest exactly on the opposite side of entrance wound. Not sure which of two bullets the skinners recovered from gemsbuck. Shot it twice in the heart at fifteen and twelve yards ... running straight at me. Had I not forgotten these things regularly dispatch lions I might have got excited. Really had no time for that anyway. Day two story coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  I've just about quit "gun show" shopping.
                  There are 3 or 4 "chain" pawn shops I cruise from time to time, but that's about it.
                  Would like to pick up a Ruger M77/22 Hornet.
                  Now pawnshops are sometimes fun. I've been in several around the state as I've traveled for work. My big purchases this year have been binoculars and an industrial multimeter.

Comment

People keep dumping guns on me I don't want but can't pass up the ridiculous price they want, usually 1/3 or 1/4. But now that I know the Bergara b-14 hunter DOES come in 7-08(even though Academy Sports doesn't stock that caliber) I will probably snag one. Sold the Vortex I just bought to a shooting pal who turned out to be a closet Vortex fanboy. Anything he uses if they make it, he's got to have it. Gets a little carried away talking them up. As long as he does so without having to disparage the choices of others I'm cool with it though.

Comment

I’m in the inventory reduction mode. If it has not been fired in two seasons, it’s on the way out. A few years ago, I started upgrading optics from the standpoint that rifles I hunt the most with will wear top notch glass. I did buy a Remington V3 autoloader at a fantastic price online earlier this year, but that’s about it.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Now pawnshops are sometimes fun. I've been in several around the state as I've traveled for work. My big purchases this year have been binoculars and an industrial multimeter.
                        I've had several "finds" at those "chain" pawn shops.
                        The privately run shop owners know what stuff is worth.
                        The "chain" shops hire street corner "macaroons" that have no skin in the game except an hourly wage. They'll sell stuff for a song.
                        Nearby shop now has a very nice Gibson acoustic guitar marked $1300! Too bad it's a "fake"!
                        The overweight, double "Y" chromosome ape with the rotting teeth with "MGR" on his name tag swears it's real!

Comment

Is the recent Wal-Mart decision on guns and ammo going to trigger a run on ammo ?

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                            I thought I was done for 2019 and don't really need additional firearms. But darn it Fitch, you've got me thinking!

The last purchase was a S&W J-frame. I've stopped going to gun shows and have greatly cut back on checking out gun counters, except for pawnshops.

Actually, I've been thinking of downsizing and getting rid of some inventory. The 6.5 Creedmoor is really all I need in a big game rifle. Everything else is just superfluous.

However, I've been looking at AR10's and am exerting willpower not to buy one.
                            I keep going back and forth on downsizing but I think I’m going to start condensing and upgrading. Letting a few lesser quality guns go for something nicer.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                              1886 model? Nice.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Snapshot
                                by fitch270
                                I’m taking enough for tips and hopefully meat processing, plus a bit extra just in case. I saw the type you bought OHH, but picked up a regular one...
                                Today, 08:52 PM
                              • Snapshot
                                by jhjimbo
                                What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                                I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                                Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                              • Reply to A very out of sync hunting season.
                                by Outlaw
                                This year has been going pretty well. Early duck season consisted of local woodies like usual and I’m starting to see birds moving in. The farmers had...
                                Today, 08:50 PM
                              • A very out of sync hunting season.
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                This hunting season has been downright weird. Last two days I have been packing for the trip back to Montana to hunt pheasants since the geese apparently...
                                10-19-2019, 12:59 AM
                              • Favorite Sausage Seasonings for Venison
                                by Outlaw
                                Gonna be grinding up some of the meat from my deer last Saturday and packaging it as breakfast sausage. Trying AC Legg Old Plantation Seasoning for the...
                                Today, 08:44 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X