Colt Police Positive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colt Police Positive

I bought a Colt Police Positive in a 38spl. It has a five digit serial number. On the website https://proofhouse.com/colt/ it says the pistol was made around 1912. It has original blue and only has very minimal blue rubbing on the corner/edges. The barrel has one very small pit, but the lands/grooves are otherwise very good. It has the original smooth wood grips with minimal marks or wear. The pistol locks up tight and functions flawlessly. It perhaps spent its life buried in a sock drawer. I suppose my question is; whether this would be a collectible of note or are there so many made, it is of no significant importance? What would this pistol be valued?

My several year old Blue Book of Values shows the First Issue Mfg. 1907-1927 in .38S&W with hard rubber grips. about $600 in 98% condition.

Comment

I have the same revolver in .32-20 made in 1918.
      Mint condition but rough bore.
      I tried to sell it on consignment with my local dealer, asking $500, but there were no takers on account of the bore.
      A 100-year-old Colt revolver should be considered a collectible..
      JMO.

Comment

Why? Their are So many in a true 100% conduction. Your Colt is standing in the foot prints and keeping market value down it's not a "collectible" It's a secend hand rose & not worth $500.00 But half $250.00..JMO:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand the III View Post
          Why? Their are So many in a true 100% conduction. Your Colt is standing in the foot prints and keeping market value down it's not a "collectible" It's a secend hand rose & not worth $500.00 But half $250.00..JMO:-)
          Treestand - I have been looking for this model since the 1980's, when Skeeter Skelton mentioned it as one of the best "trail guns," and have only found four in suitable condition (all of which I bought). And only one in mint condition, built in 1918, which is the one I own.
          If they are common, they must be hidden away in gun safes because there are none to be found at the tables of gun shows or in the showcases of dealers.
          I did find a nice one on gunbroker.com, and it sold for about $750 as I recall.
          Here is a photo of the gunbroker revolver, built in 1928.
          Last edited by 99explorer; 09-02-2019, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Incidentally, I bought my .32-20 more than 20 years ago for $400, and I bought it as a shooter, not as a collectible.
            As any experienced shooter knows, a pitted bore rarely affects accuracy, and mine is an excellent shooter.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Give them all they need ...
              by 99explorer
              Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
              When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
              Today, 07:29 PM
            • Give them all they need ...
              by jhjimbo
              I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
              10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
            • Reply to Snapshot
              by FirstBubba
              Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
              I've never carried over about $1500.
              Today, 07:27 PM
            • Snapshot
              by jhjimbo
              What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
              I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
              Yesterday, 04:28 PM
            • Reply to Snapshot
              by PigHunter
              "Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice...
              Today, 07:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X