Remington 700 'American Hunter'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
    Most Rem 700's benefit greatly with recrown and a good bedding job.
    The barrel is always a gamble but a lot of them shoot pretty good for most hunting situations.
    Some of them are garbage though...No sense of trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear.
    Ernie, Where have you hunted all those animals ?

Comment

Stag - New Zealand
      Javelina, Blackbuck, hog, Axis - Friends ranch in Texas
      3 - Whitetail does in Wyoming within a 1.5 hour drive of the house (2 different locations).
      Wyoming-Mule deer under a hours drive
      Buck antelope, two doe antelope, and the coyote under a hours drive from my house.

Comment

An old but like new 700 Sendero in 7 mag would be nice. If not that then a Model 7 in .250 savage

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
          An old but like new 700 Sendero in 7 mag would be nice. If not that then a Model 7 in .250 savage
          I acquired a used Sendero chambered in 25-06 (my preference over the 7mm Mag) some time ago. It shot 2-3" groups at 100 yards and bullets kept jumping out of the magazine when I would open the bolt (that's why I got it cheap). I found high spots in the stock's aluminum frame that bent the receiver as I tightened the action screws. I sanded the high spots down and epoxy bedded the stock. As a result, it now shoots around .25" groups at 100 yards and is my most accurate factory rifle. I use it for medium game hunting to about 700 yards and for 1000 yard varmint shooting. I chose the 25-06 over the 7mm Mag because it has the same trajectory as the 7mm with a LOT less recoil. It kills everything it hits out to 700 yards. I use a .300 Dakota for ranges beyond that because it hits harder than the 7mm Mag at long range.

Comment

jhjimbo: "Maybe you should get closer to your game before you take a shot".

Jimbo, I know we all have different perspectives and appreciate your opinion. I like stalking game and have spent many years doing it. However, I grew up on the prairie and hunted constantly. Many were the times that I would see that monster buck step out of a canyon 5 minutes before legal sundown or 5 minutes before I had to catch a plane for work. I decided at an early age that I wanted to extend my hunting capability by adding highly predictable longer range capability. That meant a shooting platform that worked and a shooter that worked better at 500 yards than most hunters did at 100 yards. Over the last 50 years, I've continued to add to that range just for the fun of it. I know many hunters could "just come back tomorrow" but that just doesn't work for everyone.

For me, the "quintessential deer rifle" would not be constrained to 300-400 yards although that would be just fine for eastern seaboard timber hunters. I still consider the quintessential deer rifle for that application to be the 30-30 Winchester. Its short,light and packs a whollop at close range. I don't use one on the prairie though.

For those that hunt in the mountains and on the prairies or fly to remote destinations to hunt those areas, they might share that desire and some are more than willing to invest the time to perfect their equipment and shooting skill. At any range beyond 250 yards, accuracy becomes paramount so that factors into the equation as well as the performance of the cartridge itself.

Comment

Ernie: "I love posts like this...😍"

Thanks Ernie, that means a lot coming from you. There aren't many on this board that are interested in precision shooting, varmint shooting or shooting at ranges beyond 100 yards or so. That's OK with me though as they are some great guys and typically just hunt deer in dense timber environments. I enjoy that kind of hunting too but also enjoy prairie hunting where things are different. I also enjoy varmint shooting and target shooting as well as pursuing supreme accuracy with a rifle. Therefore, I build my own precision long range rifles and spend a lot of time practicing to become a better shooter.

Here is a picture of a recent 5-shot target at 1100 yards. This was the first five shots zeroing my new scope on a 6mm Creedmoor I made. It's a little off center as I had to adjust the scope but not a bad group for that range and those conditions. This was with variable winds from 3 mph to 11 mph changing directions several times a minute and shooting over 3 natural berms. I expect to hit a deer in the heart at that range or I would not take the shot. Click image for larger version  Name:	First group 1100 yards.JPG Views:	0 Size:	88.6 KB ID:	734029

Comment

I grew up shooting chucks. Around here, most shots under 400 ( and most under 300 ).

Id like to nail one over 500.

Just dont have the spot

Maybe just an eastern boy, but still think 300 is where things start to get interesting. We are not limited to slug guns and MZ in long guns these days.

Back when we were, 200 was a poke. My farthest deer.....was 178.

Sidehammer mz iron sights, offhand. Pinwheeled.

Farthest shotgun deer 165. Again, pinwheeled and offhand from a tall stand LOL.

BTW my coworker had a 700 blued fluted Sendero in .25-06. I had a .22-250 blued fluted

Comment

And I have no love of lever guns or the .30-30

Rimless and pump for the win. I think some 7600 were in .25-06. .250 and 300 savage too ( special run ). Reg 760 in .300 savage common.

Covid has all gunshows cancelled

Comment

I would be proud of that group!
                    Bullet and Powder?
                    Whose brass are you using? Peterson or necked down Lapua?
                    You just need to post some pics of your rifles and the details. I eat that stuff up.
                    F-Class rigs too!

Comment

Had 7mm and .300 mag BDLs. Shot well enough. Always had neck probs, and .300 was OK when younger. Id drop to 7 mag nowadays. Thats proly my fun limit.

My tank Steyr in .30-06 w 150s and the softer pad is just a bump....can shoot it a lot off the bench in comfort.

A stainless 7 mag in the old plastic stock....that 700 like new would proly follow me home from a gunshow.

Keep thinking I should get a Grayboe stock and convert my ADL to BDL. Could get HS in ADL.

Need to make up my mind. Mow yard in a bit, range tomorrow

Comment

Dakota,
                        Give me all the info I asked for on a new thread I just started, as the new thread can encompass more than Remmy's

Comment

There aren't many on this board that are interested in precision shooting, varmint shooting or shooting at ranges beyond 100 yards or so.
                          I pretty much always try to shoot at a distance, if I'm going out to shoot for improvement, and it has helped me hunting a lot. A lot of people in the west who are well rounded are fairly competent at 400 yards. Not long range shooters, just people who put some effort into it yearly. I'm not there yet and might not ever be, but 200 is now an easy shot, and that has come in real handy.

Mule deer I hunt in heavy cover, and mostly shoot off hand anyway, but elk seem to be a little way off yonder and I shoot just as soon as I have a shot. Too many years of tag soup.

I did have my 700 CDL bedded, and a trigger job done on it. I think the trigger has helped my hunting more than anything.

We are talking of going shooting tomorrow as the technical wording of our current "safer at home" directive says 10 miles or in your county. Our county stretches for an hour and a half on the highway. LOL Long ways to public land for shooting.

I wish I had more opportunity to shoot. Whatever the distance, shooting with more accuracy leads to a more successful hunt.

So go ahead and post about long range, I'll read even if I can't shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by rock rat View Post

I pretty much always try to shoot at a distance, if I'm going out to shoot for improvement, and it has helped me hunting a lot. A lot of people in the west who are well rounded are fairly competent at 400 yards. Not long range shooters, just people who put some effort into it yearly. I'm not there yet and might not ever be, but 200 is now an easy shot, and that has come in real handy.

I wish I had more opportunity to shoot. Whatever the distance, shooting with more accuracy leads to a more successful hunt.

So go ahead and post about long range, I'll read even if I can't shoot.
                            Good for you.
                            Make sure you give us your next range report.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                              by Danbo
                              I'm also set with ammo but it doesn't hurt to add to itπŸ˜‰
                              Yes things are bad a friend of mine saw a store in PA selling a box of 50 9mm for 100...
                              Today, 07:05 PM
                            • Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                              by FirstBubba
                              We know COVID-19 deaths are wildly inflated.
                              NOW... by the CDC's own definition, COVID-19 "cases" are even more wildly exaggerated!...
                              Today, 10:45 AM
                            • Reply to Big Green
                              by Danbo
                              Not for the small city of Ilion NY. Remington is everything to them....
                              Today, 07:01 PM
                            • Big Green
                              by FirstBubba
                              Remington to be bought out by seven (7) different investors!...
                              Today, 10:05 AM
                            • Reply to Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                              by franchi20
                              We've got a local auction going off this evening, online only. Lots of ammo and some mags, parts, scopes, adverts, etc. The bidding is thru the roof....
                              Today, 06:57 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X