No announcement yet.

Remington 700 'American Hunter'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW, buzz on the net is that some Wal-Mart's are clearing out some 700 ADL's for $184. Not all stores and not all ADL's but if you've been following the last few years it's the same kind of thing they've been doing in August.

The other thing I've been reading is despite the reputation of Big Green lately one of the things they've been doing right is the 700's actions. Apparently the CNC machining is putting out some good stuff. If you can get one of these ADL's for about $200 with tax, sell the stock and takeoff barrel for half that, then you're into a new 700 action for about $100. Good place to start a build.

Comment

I'm happy with Big Green too and use their actions often in custom precision rifles. I recently trued a new action and they are very well finished. The front ot the receiver was only off by about 010" side-to-side and the interior bolt lugs where only off by .004". The interior bolt lugs on theone I did had a strange rounding near the wall of the perimeter that put bolt lockup about .010" off, only allowed bolt lug lockup on the exterior of one lug. It had to be trimmed to be true. Otherwise the action was great. It shoots excellent after the new barrel was addded. I fully realize that most 700s are not advisable for shots beyond about 300 yards but have bedded several factory models that are deadly at 500 yards for hunting. 5R rifling is good in that it reduces fouling but hasn't proven to be more precise than other forms of rifling.. I use 5R exclusiveoy when I can for that reason.

Comment

Knowing this thread started last August, I'm a little late to the party but it's because I've been working with my Remington 700 American Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor through the winter.

It's a great rifle and you can buy it at far below MSRP on the internet. It's accurate, compact, and great for both hunting and at the range. I had doubts about a 20" barrel but it is very accurate and at the same time easy to manipulate and move around in tight places and anywhere.

I killed a deer from a tree stand at 125 yards in eastern CT in November '19. At the range, I shot it out to 350 yards with 1/2 MOA (1.6" groups). At 100 yards, I've gotten a single ragged hole on 5-shot groups. At 200 yards, I can hit clay pigeons sitting on the berm 5 out of 5 times every time.

It's beautifully designed and the B&C Stock is a winner.

The threaded barrel allowed me to attach my .30 cal suppressor for shooting at the range (and if you don't live in CT, for hunting). And the finer details are really nice. Lots of small touches that cost a ton when you pre-spec them on custom rifles.

I replaced the Remington trigger with a Trigger Tech, but the out-of-box was just fine too.

I had one complaint which was that the barrel wasn't free-floated out of the box. As a result, the first shot from a cold barrel would be 2-inches high land left every time. The rest of the group would be tight. My gunsmith ground down the barrel channel in B&C stock to free float the barrel, but that is something you could do with a Dremel tool.

It's a real pleasure to see Remington build a high quality rifle in the $1K price range. You can jump up to slightly better rigs that start at about $1,800 and go all the way up from there to stunning numbers. At under 500 yards, it's not worth the extra cash.

I give the R-700 American Hunter 2 big thumbs up!

Comment

Originally posted by dg_hunting View Post
          Knowing this thread started last August, I'm a little late to the party but it's because I've been working with my Remington 700 American Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor through the winter.

It's a great rifle and you can buy it at far below MSRP on the internet. It's accurate, compact, and great for both hunting and at the range. I had doubts about a 20" barrel but it is very accurate and at the same time easy to manipulate and move around in tight places and anywhere.

I killed a deer from a tree stand at 125 yards in eastern CT in November '19. At the range, I shot it out to 350 yards with 1/2 MOA (1.6" groups). At 100 yards, I've gotten a single ragged hole on 5-shot groups. At 200 yards, I can hit clay pigeons sitting on the berm 5 out of 5 times every time.

It's beautifully designed and the B&C Stock is a winner.

The threaded barrel allowed me to attach my .30 cal suppressor for shooting at the range (and if you don't live in CT, for hunting). And the finer details are really nice. Lots of small touches that cost a ton when you pre-spec them on custom rifles.

I replaced the Remington trigger with a Trigger Tech, but the out-of-box was just fine too.

I had one complaint which was that the barrel wasn't free-floated out of the box. As a result, the first shot from a cold barrel would be 2-inches high land left every time. The rest of the group would be tight. My gunsmith ground down the barrel channel in B&C stock to free float the barrel, but that is something you could do with a Dremel tool.

It's a real pleasure to see Remington build a high quality rifle in the $1K price range. You can jump up to slightly better rigs that start at about $1,800 and go all the way up from there to stunning numbers. At under 500 yards, it's not worth the extra cash.

I give the R-700 American Hunter 2 big thumbs up!
          Thanks for taking the time to write this very thorough and objective review. Personally I don't see much here that attracts me. Certainly not for that price. This is a short light not terribly attractive rifle built for hard use, presumably stalking medium size game in rough conditions at short to medium ranges. But no capability for iron sights? For half that price I could buy a very good looking older version of Remington 700 (if I liked them, and I don't). I have to question the importance of a fancy trigger (standard to this model) for a gun that's not designed to be a tack driver at long range. A short light gun would seem to be designed for short quick shots. Precision triggers are seldom needed for that work.

Comment

I have a POS ADL. Factory stock has been stiffened and free floated. J lock shroud/ firing pin switched to Gre-Tan. Junk plastic trigger guard replaced w steel one.

Factory non premium ammo does .75" for five shots at 100 yards.

Yawn.

Figure that a deer killer to 300 or so

Comment

I used to own Remington 700 rifles until I got my first Sako and Tikka rifle. I traded all my Remingtons and haven't regretted it.

Comment

Have owned two 700s. Donated one to a charity auction. The other i still own. It is a 25-06 so there’s that. And it came with nice leupold vx2 so it kind of wins by default. It shoots slight above MoA but it likes cheap ammo so I can’t complain to much. Anyways I bought it used but I wouldn’t spend money on a new one. No matter what they did to it. I’m just funny that way. Not a bad rifle I just have my preferences.

Comment

Ive had a half dozen 700s. Like em just fine but dont think them anything outstanding. They are bolt guns and shoot good. Kinda boring.

As far as looks go, Im a Ruger #1 guy. Dont like their 77 stuff.

My latest bolt rig wasnt Remington and my next one wont be either....not unless a pristine .222 varmint special 24" w killer wood shows up at silly price

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
                    I used to own Remington 700 rifles until I got my first Sako and Tikka rifle. I traded all my Remingtons and haven't regretted it.
                    I sold a Sako 22-2250 for a Remington 700 22-250. The Remington outshoots the Sako all day long - one hole 5 rounds at 100 yds. Click image for larger version

Name:	50 cal ML.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	733905

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                      Ive had a half dozen 700s. Like em just fine but dont think them anything outstanding. They are bolt guns and shoot good. Kinda boring.

As far as looks go, Im a Ruger #1 guy. Dont like their 77 stuff.

My latest bolt rig wasnt Remington and my next one wont be either....not unless a pristine .222 varmint special 24" w killer wood shows up at silly price
                      I am looking at a Ruger 77 .300WinMag (left hand) that looks almost unfired. Has a nice Burris scope. Rig is nice and probably from the '70's. I think if I offer $550 I might get it. I don't reload for .300WinMag but for some reason wound up with a lifetime supply of the ammo.
                      I had the Ruger MK II in 30-06 when it first was available in left hand and it was a tack driver.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I am looking at a Ruger 77 .300WinMag (left hand) that looks almost unfired. Has a nice Burris scope. Rig is nice and probably from the '70's. I think if I offer $550 I might get it. I don't reload for .300WinMag but for some reason wound up with a lifetime supply of the ammo.
                        I had the Ruger MK II in 30-06 when it first was available in left hand and it was a tack driver.
                        I had a Ruger M77 .300 Win Mag.
                        Accuracy was awesom.
                        Recoil was absolutely unbelievable!!
                        Four of us went to Colorado on a pack in elk hunt.
                        We all carried .300 Win Mag, same bullet, same load.
                        One Ruger M77, 2 Rem 700 and a Wby Vanguard.
                        The idea was anybody could swap out gun or ammo if needed.
                        We all went to a range to shoot all the guns.
                        Nobody would shoot my M77 but once! Because of the time frame, I didn't have any choice but deal with it.
                        I swapped that "bay mule" for a set of camper jacks!
                        I hope you have better luck with your M77.

Comment

That old K mart crap Remington stuff......sure is comfy (700,870,1100).

They fit me very well LOL

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                            That old K mart crap Remington stuff......sure is comfy (700,870,1100).

They fit me very well LOL
                            I recently saw a Rem 700 in WalMart for abound $400. You can not buy the action for that amount.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                              Everybodydoesn't need a high precision rifle or a good looking rifle to hunt deer and the standard Rem 700 is pretty decent from the lowly ADL to their best BDL. They are not known for precision but can deliver it on some models. Remington is making solid hunting rifles in a variety of styles and this one looks good for short range deer hunting.

I like Rem 700s and here are my comparisons to the American Hunter (AH)s:
                              1. Rem 700 Sendero, Police and tactical rifles... these are likely to be more accurate as a long range hunting or tactical rifles. They are heavier and have longer barrels for the necessary velocity. They have better stocks (HS Precision vs Bell and Carlson), finely finished 26" fluted barrels but triggers are the same X-Mark and must be replaced.

Standard Rem 700
                              I suspect the AH has a better barrel than most standard 700s but probably not as good as the high end rifles mentioned above... who knows? It doesn't take much to be better than the standard Rem 700. The X-Mark trigger is OK for close range hunting applications on both standard Rem 700s and the AH.

I custom finish machine Rem 700 receivers to make precision rifles and would expect to do this to a new American Hunter to make it a $2000 class rifle like the Bergara:

Barrel: I'd remove the barrel and replace it with premium barrel that is air gauged to .0002" or better. It would be 21 3/4" long for 100-200 yard benchrest, timber hunting and 26" long for the long range shooting with which the 6.5 CM excels. Good barrels cost more to make so I don't blame them for not going all out on the AH. Especially since I consider it to be specifically a short range hunting rifle that can't shoot a 7mm-08 or a .308.

Action: I'd true the front and rear of the bolt lugs, interior receiver lugs and the front of the receiver and the front of the bolt. Necessary for shooting long range varmints, targets or long range hunting precision.

Chambering: I'd cut the chamber with less than .0002" variance from the bore alignment so that rifling won't engrave long VLD bullets deeper on one side over the other. These would fly crooked beyond 250 yards where the bullet transitions from spinning on the axis of the bore to spinning on its center of mass. If this isn't done, the AH owner won't be able to take advantage of the 6.5 CM for precision long range shooting.

Recoil lug: I'd replace with a 1/4" thick, trued lug for higher precision fit between barrel and receiver and for a more solid bedding to control barrel torque from shot-to-shot in this fast twist rate bore with those heavy for caliber bullets.

Trigger: The X-Mark only comes down to about 2 pound trigger pull which is typically not good for high precision target/varmint shooting. I'd use a trigger like the Jewell that adjusts from 1.5 ounces to 4 pounds so the owner can choose what they need for various uses. I personally wish Remington would learn how to make a good adjustable trigger since they actually make rifles. It didn't take Jard long to figure it out.

Firing pin/spring: I'd replace the AH's with a slightly heavier spring and a light weight firing pin about 1/3 the weight of the solid steel Rem 700 firing pin. This improves lock time to noticeably enhance precision.

Bolt knob: good job on the AH knob that doesn't rip your knuckles against the scope, helping to keep blood off the good looking rifle. Even better if the bolt handle is threaded so the user can slip on whatever knob fits their chubby or skinny little fingers.

Cartridges: Since it is a short range woods hunting rifle, I'd offer it in at least a half dozen chamberings with popular short action deer cartridges: .243, 6XC and 6 CM in 8 twist, 25 CM in 7.25 twist, 7mm-08 and 308 in 9 twist barrels for shooting heavy long range VLD bullets.
                              I love posts like this...😍

Comment

Most Rem 700's benefit greatly with recrown and a good bedding job.
                                The barrel is always a gamble but a lot of them shoot pretty good for most hunting situations.
                                Some of them are garbage though...No sense of trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                                  by Danbo
                                  I'm also set with ammo but it doesn't hurt to add to it😉
                                  Yes things are bad a friend of mine saw a store in PA selling a box of 50 9mm for 100...
                                  Today, 07:05 PM
                                • Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  We know COVID-19 deaths are wildly inflated.
                                  NOW... by the CDC's own definition, COVID-19 "cases" are even more wildly exaggerated!...
                                  Today, 10:45 AM
                                • Reply to Big Green
                                  by Danbo
                                  Not for the small city of Ilion NY. Remington is everything to them....
                                  Today, 07:01 PM
                                • Big Green
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  Remington to be bought out by seven (7) different investors!...
                                  Today, 10:05 AM
                                • Reply to Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                                  by franchi20
                                  We've got a local auction going off this evening, online only. Lots of ammo and some mags, parts, scopes, adverts, etc. The bidding is thru the roof....
                                  Today, 06:57 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X