Muzzleloading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muzzleloading

Two questions guys one cam i substitute steel ball bearing for round ball if same or slightly smaller diameter in my traditional muzzleloader amd what is a substitute for 12 ga shot gun wads

Can you substitute steel? I suppose you could, just not a good idea. Even intermittent contact with steel will eat up the barrel.
    I don't know about the plastic wads.

Comment

I have a question for you - why ? I suppose you can use steel round ball of the right diameter and weight - but why ? Wads are an integral part of shot performance and using anything else could significantly alter the performance of the load. I suppose almost anything that separates the powder from the shot would work - but why, wads are not that expensive. ?

Comment

My guess is that since this is under "Muzzleloading" he was asking about wads used for muzzleloading shotguns, and they're more or less spacers.

If wanting to run a muzzleloading shotgun for dove at my fave F&W area, he'd still have to use non toxic shot. So steel would be the deal I suppose.

Wonder if the OP has one of the old smoothbore .56 cal TC Renegades.

Was a Russian manufacturer that made steel slugs but they had plastic bands to keep the steel from contacting the barrel. DDupleks.

Dunno if anybody makes such a projectile for MZ.
        Last edited by CD2; 08-17-2019, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Red Dot's
          by PigHunter
          Jimbo, I've used a red dot scope on my crossbow and it was great in low light at the short distances I needed (up to 50 yards). However, the dot washed...
          Today, 10:10 AM
        • Red Dot's
          by jhjimbo
          What is the difference between a open Red Dot and a scope type Red Dot ? Function, operation, accuracy potential....
          Today, 09:41 AM
        • Reply to Red Dot's
          by fitch270
          I believe the biggest difference would be in speed of target acquisition related to field of view. The tube style have a bit of tunnel vision to them,...
          Today, 09:48 AM
        • Reply to Are You Ready For This ?
          by jhjimbo
          They can also create organs right now with 3d printing. Dr. mentioned that on Tucker show.
          Univ of Pittsburg has been growing organs for years...
          Today, 09:44 AM
        • Are You Ready For This ?
          by jhjimbo
          An American Scientist financed by Spain has gone to China to create an ape-human by combining a human embryo with a primate. I don't know why he had...
          Yesterday, 09:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X