Petzal says goodbye ... to SHOT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
    I am no AR fan. Think them to be rather ugly.
    But they work, and as such are just as worthy of being in the deer woods as a Rem 742, Browning BAR, Winchester 100 or Ruger .44 carbine.
    Just run a 5 round mag and AFAIC it's just another rifle.........sporting
    yes you are right cd but I know in my area there is someone out there that would love a drum mag and a bumpstock in deer season. I got a nephew who would be first in line.

Comment

And he'd probably be first back to the truck to swap to something lighter/ more sensible.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
        And he'd probably be first back to the truck to swap to something lighter/ more sensible.
        Nope he is that dumb 😂

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          My point is simple. Eliminate special seasons completely and let everyone hunt at the same time. I bet you would see an almost total collapse of muzzleloader sales. Archery would survive but would also see a decrease. Having a special primitive weapons season just benefits the few and puts further entry restrictions on new hunters. It's really not a fair system and uses the power of the state to protect the sales of certain hunting weapons.
          I see the point but wonder what would happen to bowhunting in areas like mine -- where gun deer season is extremely crowded and sometimes chaotic -- if everyone could hunt at the same time. I don't bowhunt but I think bowhunters would have a valid objection to that.

At the same time, though, I also think that here in NY, the bowhunters can get a little too uppity. For a while now the Bowhunters Association has been crying out against the inclusion of crossbow hunting, as it tarnishes their image of true archery.

Comment

Being a bowhunter, I don’t know that I would call it ‘uppity’ but I sure would not argue with the fact that there is absolutely no connection between archery and xbows ! Uppity does not fall in with facts, jmdo !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
              Being a bowhunter, I don’t know that I would call it ‘uppity’ but I sure would not argue with the fact that there is absolutely no connection between archery and xbows ! Uppity does not fall in with facts, jmdo !
              If you could read some of the letters sent to newspapers from bowhunters, on the subject of crossbows, you'd see that facts aren't really figuring into many people's thinking. It's mostly your standard emotion-driven conflict: "These are OUR woods, YOU stay out because you don't do it right!" That sort of thing. And I'll stand by my use of "uppity," since many of the bowhunters do not seem to care that crossbows are the only choice for hunters with disabilities, or simply aging hunters who still like to hunt in the early fall rather than the hectic gun season, but can't pull a bow or get up into a treestand so well anymore.

But that's not all bowhunters, and I'm not saying they're uppity as a group. And I'm not a bowhunter myself, so I don't really have a stake in the game, other than being a part of the general hunting community. That said, though, I've got no patience with people who work hard to exclude others. I've had bowhunters give me crap because I'm out small-game hunting or fall turkey hunting. I realize that reflects on the individual, not the method of hunting. But overall, my general impression of the NY Bowhunter's Association is of a pretty self-righteous bunch. I could be wrong -- but if I am, they ought to do things a little differently in terms of their P.R.

NY State didn't help when they made the bow season opener the same day as fall turkey and small-game openers. Prior to that, small game/turkey hunters had a good fifteen or sixteen days before the bowhunters would be out there. Why did they change the season opener? Pressure from bowhunters who didn't think that a full-month season, plus more days after gun season, were enough. (If I'm wrong about that being the reason, I'm willing to listen to anyone who knows more; what I just said is what I've read and heard from several credible sources).

Comment

Matt, you are not wrong on all factors of above words. There is enough blame here to go around and not make anyone feel they have been left out. When crossbows were first legalized here in Michigan, they were done so with a doctor’s statement due to health reasons or disability factors. No problem there. But then manufacturers put pressure thru lobbyists on legislators to allow all hunters the right of xbows, this of course to allow the sale of their product to sky rocket, and then with lobbyists money in hand the law of course was changed, and the troubles began. In Michigan, it is not the DNR who has controls of game laws, it is the politicians and conservation people are left out. But bowhunters are no different than any other group of people, there are just as many bad ones as good ones in their actions and words, so some of what you ststed is very correct. But overlapping or conflicting hunting periods do not help the situation either and this is not the direct fault of hunters who get caught in the middle and in the end do themselves no good with attitude and words. It is a complex issue to say the least which takes in more than just bow hunters !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad