Handgun Stopping Power Study

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
    I think Russian Roulette is more fun if you load three chambers.
    Robert DeNiro did that in "The Deer Hunter."
    Yea, true however I bet he didn't really have hollow points in it 😁

Comment

I understand that in filming the movie, DeNiro actually asked that a real live round be used in one of the scenes to add genuine fear in the actors' performance.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
        I understand that in filming the movie, DeNiro actually asked that a real live round be used in one of the scenes to add genuine fear in the actors' performance.
        Well Deniro is a little crazy 😂

Comment

While a handgun might not be the best choice in ending a fight.........they tend to be used often, due to being "handy".

Comment

DeNiro dropped the F-bomb on Donald Trump on live TV during the Tony Awards.
            That tells you a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
              I do think folks have different visual and mental acuity.
              Those that can fine focus, hard focus, and think fast.........can land multiple good hits.
              Some folks, through no fault of their own...will never be able to do that.
              Training may help. It might also mess things up.

Some hunters flub stuff when a bit of pressure hits 'em.

People are funny/interesting.
              The most attended handgun practice at the Club is IDPA. Some of them are crack shots under all variable conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post

For a good light carry gun look at the taurus pt 111. It us cheap light and does the job.
                I check with my LEO's about firearms they use and type of ammo. That is what I use in my carry gun. Nothing more and no hand loads.

Comment

I knew a fellow back in Texas who brewed up some very hot loads for his carry gun, and when I explained the perils of hand-loading defense ammo, he said he understood that a prosecuting attorney could use that against him if he were to be charged with murder in a self defense shooting.
                  He then repeated the old adage that it was better to be tried by twelve than to be carried by six.

Comment

Ammo is ammo. An attorney will argue anything. More likely one's social media ramblings will be used against them.

Police are agents of the courts, they are the enforcers of laws.
                    If they can have the hot specialty ammo, any good citizen can.

We don't have vests, radios or backup..........and contrary to the motto...........we have to protect our selves. "Protect and Serve" on a squad car is just a PR deal, the police, and laws.........won't protect you. Socially that's a side benefit from them enforcing laws...........but they are not and never have been personal bodyguards.

Don't care what the old lady down the street says.

Comment

Since commercial ammo is loaded in high volume and with monitoring systems, once could say handloads put the user at heightened risk of failure.

The issue with handloads would be something along the lines of cyanide encapsulated bullets, stuff like that.

A bullet being just a bullet.............no prob.

Then again, the lawyer can argue anything.
                      That doesn't mean they should be arguing it.
                      Your attorney ought to be good enough to win such nonsense.
                      If not, you picked wrong.

Comment

When it comes to carrying a weapon, there is a fine line between being prepared for something awful to happen, and praying for something awful to happen.
                        There are some of us who strap on a gun thinking, "Make my day."
                        If the prosecutor can portray you as a hot rodder, his chances of getting a conviction are greatly increased.

Comment

My guess is most bad guys are stupid enough to have a social media presence that will help the defense.

The problem comes from the media spin, trying to cover up a certain groups' poor behavior.
                          Its so blatant (Indianapolis news a nearby example)........it's laughable.
                          Last edited by CD2; Yesterday, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Don't go looking for trouble, in fact kind of work to avoid it.

Have some knowledge of what is going on in my burg........contrary to the liberal media spin.

People have no clue what's going on in the real world. And statistically they can be clueless and lead a pretty pleasant life.

Goody for them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• New petition to sell Montana to Canada
                              99explorer
                              There is a movement afoot to sell the state of Montana to Canada for $1 trillion to pay off part of our national debt.
                              It would become South Alberta....
                              Yesterday, 12:27 AM
                            • Reply to New petition to sell Montana to Canada
                              fitch270
                              Wouldn't South Alberta be its own province?

There's been a "movement" to separate upstate NY from the NYC area for years. Fat chance...
                              Today, 12:09 AM
                            • Illegals buying guns
                              labrador12
                              If 8 million illegals are trying to buy guns a year, what is the size of the illegal population? Is 10% of the illegal population armed? 50%? Are there...
                              Yesterday, 10:56 AM
                            • Reply to Illegals buying guns
                              Harmonious Fulmination
                              In peak seasons Ellis Island processed over 5000 dirt poor migrants a day. And with those inadequate traditional families they made America and Americans...
                              Today, 12:02 AM
                            • Reply to Illegals buying guns
                              fitch270
                              The logistics of the situation is the issue. Better safe than sorry. Trying to figure out who is who and has relatives where takes time and resources....
                              Yesterday, 11:58 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X