Rifle scopes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle scopes

Which would be the better buy? Leupold VX-freedom or the vortex diamondback?

I have the Vortex Diamondback on my muzzleloader but haven't used the Leupold VX-Freedom. The Diamondback seems clear and I have no gripes with it. But neither do I have with a couple of older Leupold scopes on other rifles.

At the same price I would go with Leupold if nothing else than they are primarily made in the USA. It's my understanding the Diamondback is made in China.

But, go to a local shop and look at the reticles and the light transmission for yourself. Then pick the one you like the most. You won't go wrong either way.

Comment

I mite be an old stick in the mud but, Ya can't beat Leupold Scopes, So Leupold VX would be the scope for a life time.

Comment

Leupold for all the reasons mentioned. Looked at side by side and the leupold wins.

Comment

pighunter is correct, Vortex is made in China.
          Their customer service is in the US and is very good.
          The Leupold is made AND serviced in the US.
          I have both Leopold and Vortex scopes.
          The Vortex is a nice scope, but Leupold is the better scope.

Go with the Leupold.

Comment

I gotta say go with what you like better. Im probably going to get an ear full over this but i always thought leupold was over priced, sorry guys. I shoot nikon scopes and have never had an issue. I do have a pair of diamondback binoculars and the do great.

Comment

I haven’t used a Freedom but I like my Diamondback. No problem shooting 500 yards with it this weekend.

Comment

At the $200 price point, I'd choose the Diamondback as the better value. I haven't shot the Freedom but have done an exhaustive side-by-side comparison of the Diamondback to the Leupold VX-2 and VX-3 class scopes and the Redfield, Nikon Prostaff and Monarch. It ranked better than all but the VX-3 which was comparable.

Without seeing it, I can tell you that the Freedom is not comparable with the VX-3 class Leupold (or Leupold would never be able to sell the VX-3 class scopes). The field of view is better on the Diamondback but the exit pupil seems a little smaller than the VX-3 but acceptable. All these have solid hunting accuracy. The Leupold and Vortex warranties are the best in the business making resale or used purchases excellent. I use VX-2s and VX-3s as well as half a dozen Vortex Vipers and my nephew has shot his Vortex Diamondback for about 4 years now in all conditions. We give them high value reviews. At $200, you are getting quite a scope in the Diamondback.

Comment

I would NOT buy another Vortex scope. I ordered one through Amazon which was never received. I received a major run around from Vortex telling me it would take 2-3 weeks to investigate, which ended up with them never contacting me. I called and received another runaround from their "logistics team". They said that the post office says they delivered the item ( a $700 viper scope), and that was it, I needed to complete a police report, send it back to them and they would conduct "another investigation". Total BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Millikin View Post
                    Which would be the better buy? Leupold VX-freedom or the vortex diamondback?
                    The counter guy at Cabela's said their private label scopes are made by Vortex and carry the same warranty. Is this true ?

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                      I mite be an old stick in the mud but, Ya can't beat Leupold Scopes, So Leupold VX would be the scope for a life time.
                      Glad to see that old stick in the mud back on site!

Comment

Years and years ago I used some Leupold scopes. Along the line they got traded off with the rifles. For the last 25 years I have used nothing but Nikon. I have the old Buckmaster scopes on most of my rifles. The new Buckmaster scopes that came out 2 0r 3 years ago are junk and not the quality of the old Buckmasters. I do have 2 of the older Prostaff scopes which are good too. I have a pair of Nikon 10x42 binos that I purchased 12 years ago when I retired. They were about $400 then and they have served me well. Nikon changed their whole line a couple years ago. Now I would buy only Monarch 3 or 5's or the Prostaff 5 or 7. Both of these scopes are great I have spent time in the store comparing them to other scopes.

Comment

Rolled the dice and ordered a VX Freedom EFR 3-9X for my 10/22.
                          Not thrilled with the new look, but wanted AO.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
                            Years and years ago I used some Leupold scopes. Along the line they got traded off with the rifles. For the last 25 years I have used nothing but Nikon. I have the old Buckmaster scopes on most of my rifles. The new Buckmaster scopes that came out 2 0r 3 years ago are junk and not the quality of the old Buckmasters. I do have 2 of the older Prostaff scopes which are good too. I have a pair of Nikon 10x42 binos that I purchased 12 years ago when I retired. They were about $400 then and they have served me well. Nikon changed their whole line a couple years ago. Now I would buy only Monarch 3 or 5's or the Prostaff 5 or 7. Both of these scopes are great I have spent time in the store comparing them to other scopes.
                            I found the same thing with everything you stated here Sarge. Sound advice

Comment

I've got several Nikon scopes on my rifles and have been very pleased with them. A couple of rifles wear Leupold and I have one Vortex. I can't really tell much difference between the lot. I also have some Weaver fixed 4x scopes that also do very well.

My .22 rimfires have Simmons scopes and I think there's definitely not as much light transmission through those.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad