10mm gun question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10mm gun question

The recent and regularly asked question about bears and handguns, has me thinking, again. I haven't had a good firearms trade for about a year. And the icon of firearms knowledge. Mr. Dave Petzal once said (I'm para phrasing)," a 45 acp is only good for shooting targets and people". Maybe so.

I'm looking hard into replacing my ruger sr1911 with a 10mm. Why? Flexibility.
    Load it light and it has the same capability as a 45 acp, with maybe better trajectory. Load it heavy and have a last resort bear gun. Done deal, right?

Not so fast. Now there is 45+ from buffalo bore, 45 super and 460 rowland. There are conversion kit that can swap a 45acp to a 45super. And with the help of a quality gunsmith a 460rowland.

For ammo and brass considerations, i'm ruling out the 460. I want something that can be a 45acp, swap a spring, instant super. Flexability.

Lets add kerosene to the mix. The 9mm was a dead round, police depts all over were swapping it out, it was too light. Its back thanks to higher power.

Or maybe i just like to trade firearms. Ok i do.

Rocky - Why limit yourself to semi-autos?
    A .44 Magnum revolver will shoot 44 Specials, including Buffalo Bore medium velocity loads (255-gr. hard lead Keith bullets at 1000 fps).

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
      A .44 Magnum revolver will shoot 44 Specials, including Buffalo Bore medium velocity loads (255-gr. hard lead Keith bullets at 1000 fps).
      99. I Have a 44 mag and a 454. I think i answered my own question, above. I feel a trade coming on.

Comment

Rocky - If you want a two in one gun a 10mm Glock will also shoot 40S&W with NO parts to change. and with less recoil then a 44 mag!! just saying;-))

Comment

I run .40S&W ammo through my 10mm 1911 with minimal magazine related malfunctions(which go away if I download to 5 or 6 rounds). I've had nary a hiccup with 10mm ammo.

My pistol is a RIA Rock Ultra MS. MS being the designation for RIA's 4.25" pistols, which I've found to be much more convenient in and out of vehicles than the 5".

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
            I run .40S&W ammo through my 10mm 1911 with minimal magazine related malfunctions(which go away if I download to 5 or 6 rounds). I've had nary a hiccup with 10mm ammo.

My pistol is a RIA Rock Ultra MS. MS being the designation for RIA's 4.25" pistols, which I've found to be much more convenient in and out of vehicles than the 5".
            I might add/clarify that the factory mag works good with .40 ammo whereas my Kimber mags require downloading to feed the short .40's, which I believe is a result of the followers being different designs.

Comment

I'd go with the 460 Rowland, but to be honest nothing really replaces a good rifle cartridge!

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                Read Tyler Freels (he guides in Alaska) article in OL about the 10mm Glock and how they customize it in Alaska. The guys he hunts with have changed to the 10mm also. If you e-mail him questions he will get back to you.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad