Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are ATA shotguns any good and what chokes do they use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are ATA shotguns any good and what chokes do they use?

I was in academy today and sitting up on the gun rack was a shotgun, automatic, max 5 camo, and shoots 3.5's. It greatly resembled a Beretta, but the price was somewhat off compared to its pricey identical twin. The gun's tag read $450, so I inquired. The guy said that it was a Turkish gun and was made by a company called ATA. I have personally never heard of them, but I usually don't venture to far off from Benelli and Remington, but the gun did catch my eye. I shouldered it and it felt comfortable and it seemed to be a solid gun. I like everything so far about it, but was wondering about the quality and durability of the gun. I was also wondering what chokes does the gun use. I've done read everything from Benelli crio to you will need to have chokes custom made. I would appreciate any info and personal experience with this gun.

Thanks, Chase

First let me say , I have no experience with ATA shotguns or anything else ATA . I was curious to find out a little more so I did some YouTube searches and to tell you the truth after a hour of information I'm kind of impressed . Once in a while you get a product that newly introduced and you can get value for a while . This may or may not be an example of that! Many times (most times) you get what you pay for and the low price tag concerns me but sometimes a thing comes along that may be a good deal . I would like to see and pick up one of these shotguns and see how it points and feels. I see they are very light ,about 5 1/2 lbs! They are gas operated which some hunter like and some don't but I like to keep my guns clean so I like the gas operation. Thanks for the heads up I'll be looking for one of these on the shelf. There is some solid products that come out of Turkey , this may be one!

Comment

I have never shot one but find them interesting for sure. They are relatively light for a 3 1/2" chambering so should be fine for the field. My guess is that they will shoot for a long time but if one did break down, you have recourse. They have a two year warranty so you could by four of them for the price of a Beretta and when one breaks just throw it away. That way you have a guaranteed 8 year warranty and by buying them one at a time as needed you would likely experience a lifetime warranty.

I don't know their choke threading pattern but they come with three choke tubes so that should be all you need. You would have to try other after-market choke tubes for fit but I wouldn't be surprised that you could find a match if you wanted another choke tube. Be aware that with a 3 1/2" chamber you are getting a heavier weight than is needed for most shotgunning. However, if you want to shoot 3 1/2" shells at coyotes or big geese, you will appreciate the weight. I question whether the ATA will be as good as a Beretta with regard to recoil reduction but would have to shoot it to tell. I can tell you that a Benelli Black Eagle is the only 3 1/2" shotgun I enjoy shooting and it gets more game because of that amazingly recoil reduction. It would be wonderful if the ATA had such wonderful recoil but I doubt it. Because of significantly higher recoil, I don't typically use 3 1/2" shells on anything but coyotes. I don't consider them necessary for good waterfowl hunting but know that many do. At that price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if you like the feel of it.

Comment

Sir. You scored a great deal @ $449.99 The ATA is every waterfowler dream shotgun, They make a good product. It comes with (4)screw in chocks "S" for Skeet.

Comment

Not long ago Phill looked at ATA shotguns and I believe he was impressed with the quality.

Comment

I agree with TREE, at 450 that is a great deal! I have never owned one, but I hunt geese with a guy that does. He has never complained or had any problems in the field.

Comment

Well I went and bought it today and just got through shooting it. It loves 3's and 3.5's but is not to savy with the light loads. I can tell a difference in recoil compared to the super nova and am happy with it. I shot 25 3.5's and and a few random shells and i can barely feel any type of irritation on my shoulder. I also found out that it does use the crio chokes.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chase8976 View Post
                Well I went and bought it today and just got through shooting it. It loves 3's and 3.5's but is not to savy with the light loads. I can tell a difference in recoil compared to the super nova and am happy with it. I shot 25 3.5's and and a few random shells and i can barely feel any type of irritation on my shoulder. I also found out that it does use the crio chokes.
                When you shot the 2 3/4 shells did you change the the gas valve to the lower one of the two? Thanks for the update.

Comment

ATA formerly made Wetherby SA autos and those guns took the old Winchester/Browning Standard Invector chokes or Beretta mobil chokes depending on if they were threaded at top or bottom of the choke tube. Lots of either chokes are around.

I wouldn't have bothered with 3.5" magnum. I shoot upwards of fifty honkers a year and 3" has been more than sufficient. At least a couple of triples a year and almost all are pass shots.

ATA seems to make fine guns. I require a long LOP and was quite surprised to pick up one of their O/Us at Christmas and find that it fit me well right off the shelf. The vendor made me a great offer on that gun and I'm sorry I didn't pick it up.

Comment

I just bought a ata arms cy magnum the other week and have fallen in love with it. It didn't shoot light loads at good first but after about 10-15 shots with 3 1/2 inch shells with the heavy gas piston they shot good i shot it twice on accident with the light loads piston with three inch shells but it didn't hurt it at all and actually helped the light loads feed. I shoot rio heavy games and they shoot great with the light load piston in but the heavy piston they will get sticky. The piston is a little more forgiving then you think jut keep an eye on it. It doesn't like the 4 dollar white box cheap whinchesters. It still doesn't always eject them all the way. I always pull out my piston and spray it and the tube with R.E.M. oil or any kind of cleaner after I shoot them put a little bit of hopped gun oil on the tube and in the inside and outside of the piston and it works wonders. Good luck

Comment

Hey guys. I'm new to posting on here, fairly inexperienced at hunting other than dove, and only familiar with a few guns (the ones everyone knows like Remington 870, 1100, 1187, Mossburg 500, etc.). My son is a big 14 and getting into hunting fairly regular and enjoys shooting skeet, as well. I started him on a youth pump, but he has outgrown it. I was looking at this gun as a potential option for him. Could any of you elaborate about the fact it "liked 3 and 3.5" better than lighter loads." We will probably shoot dove and skeet more than anything else, so if it does not like chambering and ejecting #7.5 and 8 shot this will worry me. My son wants to get into turkey and duck hunting as well, but those will be less frequent. Thanks for any input.

Comment

I had a kicks highflyer for a Benelli and it fit in the Venza when I got it.

Comment

Originally posted by KT View Post
                          Hey guys. I'm new to posting on here, fairly inexperienced at hunting other than dove, and only familiar with a few guns (the ones everyone knows like Remington 870, 1100, 1187, Mossburg 500, etc.). My son is a big 14 and getting into hunting fairly regular and enjoys shooting skeet, as well. I started him on a youth pump, but he has outgrown it. I was looking at this gun as a potential option for him. Could any of you elaborate about the fact it "liked 3 and 3.5" better than lighter loads." We will probably shoot dove and skeet more than anything else, so if it does not like chambering and ejecting #7.5 and 8 shot this will worry me. My son wants to get into turkey and duck hunting as well, but those will be less frequent. Thanks for any input.
                          I personally own this gun and have hunted ducks and dove. I will warn you that when buying dove load do not by Winchester loads, I have found that Winchester dove load will not cycle in this shotgun. I personally found that federal ammo's dove loads cycle perfectly even though the ones I shoot are lower fps than the Winchester. Although the Winchester dove load doesn't cycle it will cycle Winchester duck load easily along with all other 3 inch duck load. Just remember you have to clean semi automatic shotguns quite often, or they will not cycle.

Comment

Hi,

I have the exact same shotgun. I am looking for an aftermarket choke. I purchased the Kick's Highflyer in 12 ga Ben Crio as you suggested.

I picked up the "full" as recommended by the charts on Kicks. But, after doing some measurements, I noticed the internal diameter of the choke, nearest the chamber, to be .01" smaller than the modified choke that came with the ATA. In fact, it's inline with the full choke supplied by ATA.

ATA doesn't recommend shooting steel with their full choke.

I am wondering if you have shot your ATA with the Kick's High Flyer and if so have you short it with steel?

Any negative experiences or effects?

Cheers.

Comment

I bought the ATA CY Supermagnum 12 ga on a Saturday at Academy Sports. On sale for $399. The guys behind the counter, while super nice, didn't know squat about this gun or any other weapon they were selling. Not a big deal, it is a shotgun, right? The box didn't come with a manual. The "tech" guy put the gun together and after the required paperwork I took it home. Tried to fire three or four rounds through it and it hung on every trigger pull. The action wouldn't even open to eject the shell. Had to take the barrel off to remove the expended shell. Obviously a POS right? Boy was I pi$$ed! Took it back to Academy on Sunday and they wouldn't take it back because no manager was on duty. I am forever thankful that there was no manager on duty that day. I did what I should have done in the first place and conducted just a little more research. I downloaded the ATA manual from their website and discovered there are two "pistons" included with the gun one "light load" and one "heavy load." These are fitted on the magazine tube above the spring but below the barrel loop. The "tech"had installed both on my gun hence the problem. Anyway, once the appropriate piston is properly installed, this weapon shoots like a dream. Smooth and consistent even with the cheapest 2 3/4" shells. I highly recommend this gun to anyone who is going to drag it around the dove field or duck blind!
                              http://www.ataarms.com/dosyalar/02-gas-op-semi-autoC.pdf

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad