No announcement yet.

Looking to get a shotgun for my daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want to be a downer her but 5 is to young to start with a shotgun. I feel ther is no need to buy a five year old little girl a gun to grow into. I have two grandsons who are nine one shoots his dads 22 and 204 already and he is ready for the outdoor sports. He listens and he is respectful , I can take him to the local gun shops and he looks and he is polite to others around him. The other grandson is not ready, he's a good kid but doesn't listen to the degree nesassary. Soon maybe but right now no.
    I don't like guns with external hammers for youth shooters, little hands can have problems with cocking the hammer and accidental discharges .
    As for me and mine I started the boys with air rifles , then 22 and then a 20 gauge target loads.
    I bought my oldest son an 1187 premier in 20 gauge and he will tell you this is the gun he has shot the most over the years , the younger son started earlier to be with me and his big brother ( 10 years older) and I got him a youth 870 in twenty gauge. Later a 1187 like his brothers . The 870 he turned into a slug gun with a cantilever barrel. The 1187 he shoots all the time and told me it's one gun he wouldn't part with.
    This is my way of doing it but it's only my oppion. Everyone has their own way!
    One last thing if you buy your daughter a 22 as a starter stay away from the semi auto's . My boys went through a lot of ammunition . My oldest ask dad you have any 22's ? I told him yeah I got quite a bit upstairs in the cabinet, he then said you did!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
      I think she is much too young to "want" a shotgun much less "shoot" a shotgun! Ser,If you want a shotgun Man-Up and buy your self a shotgun..........Lol
      Like your style !

Comment

Regarding Women shooters.. My Club has a 'Ladies Only Day' where the Club is open RSVP to women only. They can shoot anything from .22's up to Class III full auto.
        We have done this for several years and the women love it, it sells out in a day or two - $75.00. The women are at ease when they are not with their significant other and are afforded certified instructors in each discipline. The are provided firearms, ammo, food and instruction for an all day affair. Helps get the women involved in shooting and CCW.

Comment

I started my son and now my granddaughters out with a toy gun. The one I bought makes a sound when the trigger is pulled. With a toy you can teach safe gun handling with no risk of anyone being shot. When I feel comfortable we moved up to a youth 22.

Comment

I tend to push my boy a little harder than most. He is 3 and has a 110 cc quad and and .22 rifle but I lean toward waiting to get him a shotgun. I like the enthusiasm and its your kid so it's your decision, I just hope the kid isn't scared out of the sport.

Comment

If you want to spend a bit of money buy a 410 or a 20 gauge if she's 5 a 410 then a 20 I would recommend a remington 870 wingmaster I've shot one for 5 years and my dad who shot it before me shot it for 20 years it is a beautiful gun and they last for ever. Moss begs are okay but I like me a nice remington.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Abortion Up To States
                by 99explorer
                When an appeals court reviews a case, it looks at past rulings on the subject for a precedent, as the question of law may already have been decided....
                Today, 11:11 AM
              • Abortion Up To States
                by jhjimbo
                Court reversed abortion, back to the States where it should have been in the first place. Let them vote on it.
                Yesterday, 12:22 PM
              • Reply to TGIF; Party Time
                by PigHunter
                Right Said Fred - "I'm Too Sexy"

And I'm too sexy for your party
                Too sexy for your party
                No way I'm disco dancing...
                Today, 10:21 AM
              • TGIF; Party Time
                by fitch270
                Almost, Friday evening actually but looking for a play list, lol.

Getting it rolling with The Cars.

06-22-2022, 10:06 AM
              • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                by 99explorer
                I think what you are saying is that our elected officials would disarm the public to prevent an armed insurrection.
                Not for reasons of public safety,...
                Today, 10:16 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X